Emery may be smarter than you think

BearFan PHX

What i am saying is using Urlacher to disregard playing in a weaker conf really is not a good comparison. Urlacher was a freak of nature at safety with his size and speed. Is Shea a freak of nature??? No he is not and he played in a weaker conf.

The amount of guys that become stars out of weaker conf in the NFL is no where near the amount of stars coming out of the tougher ones. It is a fact. Jerry Rice and Walter Payton both came out of smaller schools so does it happen yes but i will say that playing DE is a whole lot different going up against Big Ten, SEC, BIG 12 and Pac 12 type OT's than Mountain West or Big East.

Personal Experience I started out at CMU in the MAC conference and ended up playing in Division IAA at ISU and the difference between the OT's that I went up against at ISU from CMU was insane. Im sure the same goes for the MAC and Big ten.

If you are a freak like Urlacher I dont care where you played.

What's to say McClellin won't be a "freak of nature"? I think it a bit premature to assume a lot about he and the school he came from.

And just for reference: Richard Dent - Tennessee State (by the way Ed "Too Tall" Jones played there too); "Mean Joe" Green - North Texas; Osi Umenyiora - Troy and Israel Idonije - Manitoba (that's in Canada). Ok maybe the last one isnt necessarily a "freak" but most would say he's a pretty decent player. And has made an adjustment to the NFL despite not having that high calibe college pedigree.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate the thoughts. At least there's one person that understands. :cheers I was beginning to feel like I was living in an alternate reality for a moment where people lived under rocks and the simple concepts about human life never existed or couldn't be grasped.. The Twilight music started up and everything, I swear.

whaaahahahaha please dont make yourself out to be some sort of victim here.

This is the quote:

"QUOTE (Stinger226 @ Apr 27 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Keep in mind, Mathis 6-1/245, Feeney 6-1 268,Suggs 6-3/260,Aldon Smith 6-4/260. Any of them remind you of Dan Bazum?

No because they are all black"

You were bagging on SMC size saying how he is another Bazum(sp?) he was too small, then too short, with some asinine point about how 6'3 is too short because he wont be able to swat passes down like Jared Allen. Stinger brings up similarly sized, successful, DE's to refute that point, and you bring up race.

Then we get the awesome piece about human nature that has no relevance here. Someone didn't ask you who you thought SMC reminded you of. Thats where you and your buddies human nature/racial testing, that I'm sure you have done tons of research on, would have been relevant.

Stinger refuted specific points that you made about height and weight, and you counter with race.

Which again brings me to my original point, about there being no place for that in the debate on whether or not SMC will be good or not.

What's to say McClellin won't be a "freak of nature"? I think it a bit premature to assume a lot about he and the school he came from.

And just for reference: Richard Dent - Tennessee State (by the way Ed "Too Tall" Jones played there too); "Mean Joe" Green - North Texas; Osi Umenyiora - Troy and Israel Idonije - Manitoba (that's in Canada). Ok maybe the last one isnt necessarily a "freak" but most would say he's a pretty decent player. And has made an adjustment to the NFL despite not having that high calibe college pedigree.

His height, weight, speed and strength have already been tested. He is small for a DE, fast with a 4.6 but weak on the bench. I think you can agree he is no "freak of nature".

Urlacher Combine result Shea Combine

6'4 258 6'3 260

forty 4.58 4.63

bench 27 reps 19 reps

vert 34 31

shuttle 4.18 4.33

Urlacher coming out of college was faster, quicker and stronger while being the same size. Urlacher coming out having played Safety and returned punts was a freak of nature. Shea is not a freak by any means. A freak of nature in the DE world is Jevon Kearse or Mario Williams. I hope he turns out to be a Dwight Freeney type DE his size and speed are close to him.

Like I stated before there are players coming out of smaller schools and divsions that turn out great. I hope he does as well.

whaaahahahaha please dont make yourself out to be some sort of victim here.

This is the quote:

You were bagging on SMC size saying how he is another Bazum(sp?) he was too small, then too short, with some asinine point about how 6'3 is too short because he wont be able to swat passes down like Jared Allen. Stinger brings up similarly sized, successful, DE's to refute that point, and you bring up race.

Then we get the awesome piece about human nature that has no relevance here. Someone didn't ask you who you thought SMC reminded you of. Thats where you and your buddies human nature/racial testing, that I'm sure you have done tons of research on, would have been relevant.

Stinger refuted specific points that you made about height and weight, and you counter with race.

Which again brings me to my original point, about there being no place for that in the debate on whether or not SMC will be good or not.

Refer to Jason's post. If you still don't understand where I'm coming from then, you're just ignoring the obvious. Again, reading comprehension is a learned skill.

Case in point:

What I said just a few short posts ago..

Using race to determine whether or not someone is capable of playing football is dumb and meaningless. If that's what you think I'm doing, then I suggest enrolling to the reading comprehension school for the dumb.

Perhaps there is an extra seat for you in the classroom.

Refer to Jason's post. If you still don't understand where I'm coming from then, you're just ignoring the obvious. Again, reading comprehension is a learned skill.

Case in point:

What I said just a few short posts ago..

lol, maybe you need to go back and read what you said and take a seat in your own classroom.

Dont need to reread Jason's post, as it is a carbon copy of the irrelevant human nature piece you wrote.

I understand what you are trying to make it into, but thats not what you did. Maybe not on purpose, but thats how it read.

I do also love the little distraction thing you are doing with the "reading comprehension school" nice.

Just say you were wrong,

That being said, I'm done.

Just so everyone knows, I can easily make an "all 'small' school" NFL team and make it a damn good one. Just because a guy went to a small school doesn't mean he is a worse option than another player.

What schools did Jerry Rice, Urlacher, Tillman, and Shannon Sharpe go to? How about Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, and Chris Johnson?

What a dumb argument this is...

Just so everyone knows, I can easily make an "all 'small' school" NFL team and make it a damn good one. Just because a guy went to a small school doesn't mean he is a worse option than another player.

What schools did Jerry Rice, Urlacher, Tillman, and Shannon Sharpe go to? How about Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, and Chris Johnson?

What a dumb argument this is...

Not saying that by playing at a smaller school they are not as good an option. I am saying a player at a big time school played against better comp which would lead to a better eval as to how they will perform against NFL talent. You cant argue it.

One poster stated that Jeffery put up good numbers against the best Defenses (SEC) in college football. So if you make that statement you cant say it does not hold true when a player plays against lesser talent. it goes both ways

The draft is all about looking at a Players size, strength, speed and football ability to project how good they will be at the next level. When a player plays against the top talent by playing in a big time conference you get a better look on how he will perform in the NFL.

Im not saying a small time school player cant be great in the NFL, there are many that have. The numbers do side on the players coming out of the big time conferences tho. You wont see 5 to 10 players from the Mountain West drafted in the first two rounds. But you will see 5 or 6 drafted in the first two rounds from Alabama. That is one school in the SEC.

There is a reason why 2012 is the first year that Boise State had a first round draft pick.