Bears @ Giants, 8/24/12, Preseason game 3

balta1701-A

Here's your real chance offensive line, try to get everyone in a groove.

Jason Pierre-Paul is expected to miss the game with back stiffness.

Bears missing safeties Conte and Hardin, Steltz and UDFA Anthony Walters expected to step in at safety. Adam Podlesh, Bears punter, likely to miss game and long term status still undetermined, Rookie Ryan Quigley will get a trial tomorrow night. Urlacher, obviously, still out.

First roster cuts, down to 75, due Monday.

There is virtually no argument to the following:

Game 1: Williams > Webb

Game 2: Williams > Webb

If the same holds true against the Giants, who will probably present more pressure than any other team the entire season, and Williams doesn't end up as the starting LT, then the coaching staff has not only told a bunch of lies about an open competition and "whoever plays the best gets the starting job," but they are also directly responsible if the offense sputters because Cutler is running for his life. Again.

There is virtually no argument to the following:

Game 1: Williams > Webb

Game 2: Williams > Webb

If the same holds true against the Giants, who will probably present more pressure than any other team the entire season, and Williams doesn't end up as the starting LT, then the coaching staff has not only told a bunch of lies about an open competition and "whoever plays the best gets the starting job," but they are also directly responsible if the offense sputters because Cutler is running for his life. Again.

I agree.

However, I still feel as if Webb has more potential than Williams does....but that's not saying a lot.

I do feel Webb has the edge somehow going into Friday night's game, but we'll see. I also feel like Williams still has a shot at the job.

I thought Webb played well in the 2nd game. Williams struggled against backups last week and needed a lot of help while he was in there. I think Webb wins the LT battle by default although It remains to be seen what he's got in store for tomorrow.

That blows about JPP. Was looking forward to seeing this line tested more by the best D-Line in the NFL.

Really just looking for more of the same from last week from that first team offense. We should get a pretty good taste as to how this team could look as we move forward. Starters will probably play 2 and a half-3 quarters and should see a little more than just a vanilla style on both sides of the ball. Hoping that Alshon can have himself another good game out there, as well as Brandon Marshall. This is the first time in a long time that I can remember a Bears offense that features a high powered passing game. Lots of talk about Jeffery proving himself to be a starting WR, but Hester is still likely to remain the #2 for now.

I do see it as the powers that be are giving Webb an advantage. Unless Williams truly shows he's much better, I think Webb will be our starter come week 1.

I agree.

However, I still feel as if Webb has more potential than Williams does....but that's not saying a lot.

I do feel Webb has the edge somehow going into Friday night's game, but we'll see. I also feel like Williams still has a shot at the job.

From what I recall, they were substituting 'two man packages' on the left side during the last game. In that, they had Williams paired with Rachal (?) and Webb paired with Spencer. Considering how bad Spencer did and it seems as though Williams did better when Rachal was with him, would Webb benefit with Rachal next to him?

I feel that Webb (and the line as a whole) is better in running situations. Webb seems to lose a little ground to Williams on the passing game. Both seem to have issues in keeping the pocket from collapsing and get caught when one on one inside pressure. Oddly enough it seems funny to me that Webb being a 7th rounder is as good (or bad) as a the first rounder Williams. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes. The Giants will test the line a little more than in the previous two games.

From what I recall, they were substituting 'two man packages' on the left side during the last game. In that, they had Williams paired with Rachal (?) and Webb paired with Spencer. Considering how bad Spencer did and it seems as though Williams did better when Rachal was with him, would Webb benefit with Rachal next to him?

I feel that Webb (and the line as a whole) is better in running situations. Webb seems to lose a little ground to Williams on the passing game. Both seem to have issues in keeping the pocket from collapsing and get caught when one on one inside pressure. Oddly enough it seems funny to me that Webb being a 7th rounder is as good (or bad) as a the first rounder Williams. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes. The Giants will test the line a little more than in the previous two games.

You're pretty much right on all accounts, but the thing that always bothers me about Webb is the fact that he has more gaffes. While Williams probably won't dominate his opponent often, he will seal the edge more often. Webb, on the other hand, may dominate one play, perform average the next, and then shit the bed on 3rd down. The Bears need more consistency than that. I don't know how the two-man package rotation will work out in the NYG game, but I doubt it make much difference if based on the Washington game. Remember that they played a 3-4, and most pressure went away from the LT and towards the LG. I hope that your observation goes the other way: I hope Williams and Rachal were kept together because they are thought of the starters right now, and the other two are thought of as guys who might lose their jobs. (I know, unlikely)

Not a very good game thus far. No pressure on Manning what so ever, Cutler looks iffy with his accuracy, we can't run the football, and Nick Roach can't tackle..

EDIT: And there goes Chris Williams blowing another block on a DE.

Well that series at the end of the half was sad. Longest gain was a QB sneak.