Okoye back to Bears?

madlithuanian

Guest TerraTor
Thank Christ. Our defensive tackles were bad last year. So we are hoping Melton and Paea will improve, and we dumped Anthony Adams. I'm not excited about Brian Price or Nate Collins.

Price could be a good pickup.. collins sucks

I actually like having Price on the roster for his long term potential but he's a project this year as he rehabs and gets in shape. Okoye coming back is ok but he got pushed around a lot last year on run downs and his pass pressure disappeared a lot. Bringing him back feels like more of an insurance policy for the few part of the season until Paea gets well and Price gets in shape although that makes no sense considering Okoye is fighting through a knee injury himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see Price take Okoye's place in the rotation by the second half of the season, in fact I expect it. Perhaps this is the end of Collins' stint with the Bears?

If he passes the physical I'd certainly welcome him back. And as you say, it should be a cheap hire.

Now I'm wondering who is the 54th man? I'm thinking either Collins or Price could go. Cheta Ozouga.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will be one of the LB's like Patrick Trahan or JT Thomas. That would be a good indicator that Urlacher would be close to 100% for week #1.

I actually like having Price on the roster for his long term potential but he's a project this year as he rehabs and gets in shape. Okoye coming back is ok but he got pushed around a lot last year on run downs and his pass pressure disappeared a lot. Bringing him back feels like more of an insurance policy for the few part of the season until Paea gets well and Price gets in shape although that makes no sense considering Okoye is fighting through a knee injury himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see Price take Okoye's place in the rotation by the second half of the season, in fact I expect it. Perhaps this is the end of Collins' stint with the Bears?

As for Price, did anyone else notice he looks like a 3-4 nose tackle? The dude is huge. He seems like a strange fit for our "shooting the gap" style. He could have a mysterious injury which puts him on IR. Price may have potential but he does not appear to be in football shape.

I thought Collins looked much better than PRice.

Statistically and in terms of playing time, Okoye was arguably our top DT last season. That ain't good.

Price is out of shape but he has occasionally had plays where he just dominated at the LOS getting into the backfield quickly. Then he just disappears for a few plays. One thing though is I don't recall him getting pushed back 5 yards on run plays even when he took plays off. I see the potential but he is so badly out of shape I was half-expecting the team to cut him.

I was surprised we kept 7 LB so perhaps you are right, one gets cut to make room for Amobi.

Does the fact we kept 5 DEs mean we are going to use Izzy and Peppers inside on some 3rd and long situations with Wootton/Cheta/ or SMC on the outside? Haven't we normally kept 4 DEs and 5 DTs?

Price is out of shape but he has occasionally had plays where he just dominated at the LOS getting into the backfield quickly. Then he just disappears for a few plays. One thing though is I don't recall him getting pushed back 5 yards on run plays even when he took plays off. I see the potential but he is so badly out of shape I was half-expecting the team to cut him.

I was surprised we kept 7 LB so perhaps you are right, one gets cut to make room for Amobi.

Does the fact we kept 5 DEs mean we are going to use Izzy and Peppers inside on some 3rd and long situations with Wootton/Cheta/ or SMC on the outside? Haven't we normally kept 4 DEs and 5 DTs?

I like the thought of using extra DE'S. It has paid dividends to the Giants more than a few times. In a passing league, pressure is more valuable than ever. Also, I think Peppers would be devastating on the inside in those situations. I've also often thought flashing the 3-4 would be nice utilization of SMC as a wildcard LB. My thoughts are, with the premium on protection, the more ways to test that would be progressive.

Price is out of shape but he has occasionally had plays where he just dominated at the LOS getting into the backfield quickly. Then he just disappears for a few plays. One thing though is I don't recall him gettin. g pushed back 5 yards on run plays even when he took plays off. I see the potential but he is so badly out of shape I was half-expecting the team to cut him.

I haven't seen enough of Price. I hope you're right. It's just concerning that Tampa gave up on him.

I was surprised we kept 7 LB so perhaps you are right, one gets cut to make room for Amobi

Especially since we often carry on 5 LB's because Urlacher and Briggs are so religable.

We've used Izzy and Peppers inside so it would make sense. It also indicates we are not thrilled with our defensive ends not named Peppers. As for our DT's, Paea, Melton, and Toenia are locks. If we're signing Okoye, I'm assuming he's somewhat of a lock. That's four. While we could keep six DT's, I believe either Price or Collins get the ax.

Price it is...per PFT

It's too bad we couldn't have IR'ed him for the season. The guy has talent but he needs to get it together physically and mentally. The Patriots just put a sprinter who's converted to WR on IR. That seemed questionable.

It also sucks we gave up a 7th rounder for him. Worth the gamble, but it's too bad it didn't work out.

It's too bad we couldn't have IR'ed him for the season. The guy has talent but he needs to get it together physically and mentally. The Patriots just put a sprinter who's converted to WR on IR. That seemed questionable.

It also sucks we gave up a 7th rounder for him. Worth the gamble, but it's too bad it didn't work out.

Was the pick contingent on him makingn the roster?

Not totally surprised. I think best case for Price is that he gets a one year deal with some team. More likely is that Price sits on the sidelines this season and rehabs. The Bears could, and should, revisit signing him the next offseason. For all the happy talk about re-signing Okoye he only has a 1 year deal with the Bears. It's clear there will be at least one roster spot open for competition among our DTs next season, likely two unless Toeaina suddenly finds an addiction to sacks and TFLs.

I'm not one who normally critiques the Bears and their choices but this one befuddled me. After its all said and done the Bears gave away a 7th round draft pick for ??? I like Okoye back with the team but....

Oh well I'm willing to call it a lesson learned and hope Emery (or whoever made the choice) won't do it again

I'm not one who normally critiques the Bears and their choices but this one befuddled me. After its all said and done the Bears gave away a 7th round draft pick for ??? I like Okoye back with the team but....

Oh well I'm willing to call it a lesson learned and hope Emery (or whoever made the choice) won't do it again

This was just a gamble to nake this team better. Now many 7th round picks do we have on the roster again?

I hope he does it again and again and again.

I guess it all depends on how you value a 7th round pick. With a 53 man roster, on a 7th round pick you are merely taking a flyer on a guy with potential that probably won't make the team and can be poached off waivers on the way to the practice squad if he shows any promise.

Using a 7th round pick on a guy that was a 2nd round pick, had some injuries and personal issues, and didn't get along with a new regime is a no brainer to me. I'd do that everyday and twice on Sundays!

The fact that we ended up with Okoye for less money than if we'd engaged in a bidding war with Tampa is only icing on the cake.

I think *some* folks get wrapped up in either having things settled earlier in the season to ease their mind, OR not having as many draft picks the following year for their mock drafts. People can decide if either of those scenarios apply to them.

I hope he does it again and again and again.

I guess it all depends on how you value a 7th round pick. With a 53 man roster, on a 7th round pick you are merely taking a flyer on a guy with potential that probably won't make the team and can be poached off waivers on the way to the practice squad if he shows any promise.

Well I don't necessarily like 'writing off' all lower level picks. Where would NE be now if they had dismissed their #6 in 2001? But with Okoye being a higher level pick (when he was drafted) AND the fact about how young he is, then sure I'm good with it....with some reservations.....

Using a 7th round pick on a guy that was a 2nd round pick, had some injuries and personal issues, and didn't get along with a new regime is a no brainer to me. I'd do that everyday and twice on Sundays!

The fact that we ended up with Okoye for less money than if we'd engaged in a bidding war with Tampa is only icing on the cake.

...if his current injury status proves worthy of concern, then the team "pissed away" a 7th round pick. At this point the jury is still out.

I think *some* folks get wrapped up in either having things settled earlier in the season to ease their mind, OR not having as many draft picks the following year for their mock drafts. People can decide if either of those scenarios apply to them.

There you are, at the meat of the matter. I am good with doing away completely with "mock drafts". To me, that is what they are...a mockery.