Cutler

jason

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...t-chicago-bears

I think it's a wise move for him to think of a hometown discount if he wants to resign with the Bears. If the OL is to be fixed, weapons to be added, defense to be rebuilt, it sure won't help the franchise if he tries to break the bank.

Nice to hear. Would like to keep him and Marshall together for as long as possible.

Peace :dabears

I have to admit. My first reaction was a good 'cause we don't need any contract headaches! but then I started to wonder why someone who hasn't had a QB rating over 86.3 in the last half decade would even bother saying that. The league is filled with young QB talent and I think with him pushing 30 years old now that most around the league have stopped obsessing about his ceiling and are just accepting that he is what he is.

I have to admit. My first reaction was a good 'cause we don't need any contract headaches! but then I started to wonder why someone who hasn't had a QB rating over 86.3 in the last half decade would even bother saying that. The league is filled with young QB talent and I think with him pushing 30 years old now that most around the league have stopped obsessing about his ceiling and are just accepting that he is what he is.

Look at the team when he plays and when he doesn't. Was this "your reaction" during the 49ers game?

Yeah, an 86.3 QB rating with 1 good WR and 1 capable OL in almost 4 full years. How good would Rodgers be with his current OL + only James Jones? Yeah, exactly.

Don't forget his QB rating in the 4th quarter this year.

Look at the team when he plays and when he doesn't. Was this "your reaction" during the 49ers game?

Yeah, an 86.3 QB rating with 1 good WR and 1 capable OL in almost 4 full years. How good would Rodgers be with his current OL + only James Jones? Yeah, exactly.

Don't forget his QB rating in the 4th quarter this year.

Rodgers line is nearly this bad. James Jones is no Brandon Marshall. Granted Rodgers WRs are better as a group than what Cutler has to work with, but his OL isn't much better. He doesn't have the running game, so teams know he is going to pass. Plus, he is just light years beyond Cutler at his job.

This year Marshall has caught almost half the passes that Cutler has completed and has over half of the receiving yards on the team.

Is that play calling, failure on the WR's, or the Oline? I don't know. It's not that Marshall is getting open, as he's been pulling down catches all year that he shouldn't be able too.

Plus you can mention Cutler's 4th quarter rating, but that's just 1/4th of a game. He's had 7 TD's, 9 INTs and lost 5 fumbles in the first 3 quarters this year. That's twice as many turnovers than TD's, and that's improved over the last couple games. Being good in the 4th is good, but failing in the first 3 isn't acceptable.

The question is, is the hometown discount off what he thinks he is worth or what he is actually worth. I know the Bears record with out him, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with this offense in the games he has played. It was just ineptness on the team by bringing in people like Caleb Hanie to be a back up or a team just being better as San Fran was. The line was horrible that game. The team was out coached and played and it wasn't do to the poor play of an unprepared Jason Campbell.

I know that sounds kind of harsh, but Cutler has been given his way. He didn't like Martz, he was fired. He wanted his old QB coach, he was hired and made passing coordinator. He wanted Taller WRs, he got Marshall that has been a beast but a security blanket and he got Jeffery. What did the Bears get in return? A one dimensional throw it to Marshall every time low scoring offense.

Don't get me wrong, he should be resigned. The Bears don't have the draft picks to waste and there won't likely be a better QB available in free agency. I just don't think he's worth what he probably thinks he is before or after the hometown discount.

That's what I said. I said with "his current OL," implying if Rodgers' line was as bad they are at the moment with only 1 playmaking WR, would he be as dynamic of a QB? There is no doubting that Rodgers is a better player than Cutler, but Rodgers' #2, #3, and #4 WR's are all better than Cutler's. Cobb, Jennings, and Nelson would be most team's #1. I'd give up a 1st for Cobb. Jennings will get $8M+/year this offseason. Nelson had like 15 TD's last year. His TE, despite being a head case, is still light years ahead of Davis, Rodriguez, Spaeth, and Adams combined.

Jeffery has been hurt most of the year. If you had guys like Bennett and Hester who dropped pass after pass, would you throw them the ball? He finally threw the ball to Bennett on Sunday. One went for a 12 yard TD and the other was a dropped 60+ yard TD. Why would he throw it to a guy like that?

Yeah, he hasn't been great in the first 3 quarters, but since his concussion, he's only thrown 8 incompletions in the first 2 quarters of both games combined. First, everyone said he checks out of games. Now, he's playing well in the last quarter after struggling some in the first 3 quarters, and now it's not good enough.

I think Cutler is worth it. Whatever he gets, I won't say it's too much. He will probably get around $13M/year, and that sounds about right for the best QB in franchise history, who gets better as the year goes on, who gets better as the game goes on. Had he not been hurt in 2010, they might have won a ring with the way Pittsburgh's D showed up in the Super Bowl. Had he not suffered a broken thumb because of an inept WR last year, they would've been rolling into the playoffs. There is money to be spent elsewhere, like keeping Melton, Paea, Jennings, and Louis. They also need money to get an OT or two, a G or two, maybe a C. They need a LB or two. Letting Cutler walk because he might want more than he might be worth is an idiotic idea, especially when an argument could be made that he's the most important player on the team.

Rodgers line is nearly this bad. James Jones is no Brandon Marshall. Granted Rodgers WRs are better as a group than what Cutler has to work with, but his OL isn't much better. He doesn't have the running game, so teams know he is going to pass. Plus, he is just light years beyond Cutler at his job.

This year Marshall has caught almost half the passes that Cutler has completed and has over half of the receiving yards on the team.

Is that play calling, failure on the WR's, or the Oline? I don't know. It's not that Marshall is getting open, as he's been pulling down catches all year that he shouldn't be able too.

Plus you can mention Cutler's 4th quarter rating, but that's just 1/4th of a game. He's had 7 TD's, 9 INTs and lost 5 fumbles in the first 3 quarters this year. That's twice as many turnovers than TD's, and that's improved over the last couple games. Being good in the 4th is good, but failing in the first 3 isn't acceptable.

The question is, is the hometown discount off what he thinks he is worth or what he is actually worth. I know the Bears record with out him, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with this offense in the games he has played. It was just ineptness on the team by bringing in people like Caleb Hanie to be a back up or a team just being better as San Fran was. The line was horrible that game. The team was out coached and played and it wasn't do to the poor play of an unprepared Jason Campbell.

There is no doubt Rodgers trumps Cutler, but to even insinuate they are on equal footing elsewhere is disingenuous. From an institutional standpoint, the Packers front office, management, coaches, and offensive gurus have had consistency, and a vastly better understanding of how to run an offensive team. That is not even up for debate. Further, while Marshall is a beast, that's about it unless Alshon continues on without injury. The Packers have WRs for days. They lose a guy like Greg Jennings for damn near the entire season, and don't miss a beat. And you know I'd argue the Bears OL is significantly worse.

I understand what you're saying, but comparing the two is not even remotely fair to Cutler.

Exactly. And on top of that, what's our alternative to Culter? Campbell? He's our only hope... I have no problem drafting a back-up with some potential...hopefully someone with similar qualities so you won't have to dumb down the playbook if Cutty gets injured. But, only if that pick is low...

There is no doubt Rodgers trumps Cutler, but to even insinuate they are on equal footing elsewhere is disingenuous. From an institutional standpoint, the Packers front office, management, coaches, and offensive gurus have had consistency, and a vastly better understanding of how to run an offensive team. That is not even up for debate. Further, while Marshall is a beast, that's about it unless Alshon continues on without injury. The Packers have WRs for days. They lose a guy like Greg Jennings for damn near the entire season, and don't miss a beat. And you know I'd argue the Bears OL is significantly worse.

I understand what you're saying, but comparing the two is not even remotely fair to Cutler.

I didn't say Cutler hasn't had it tough here. And I certainly know that his best bargaining chip is that we don't currently have any other option.

What I was saying is essentially that if he manages to get paid like an elite QB (his insinuation), then he'll be on track to be the first QB in history to go a whole career both getting talked about...and paid like he's elite while only showing it on the field once in a blue moon. Because for whatever Cutler's reasonable excuses may be, plenty of other QBs have had reasonable excuses through the years, and it didn't change that once the honeymoon period is over, ultimately this league expects results...either team or personal, if not both...but certainly not neither.

Cutler's a respected starting QB in th NFL, of course it'll be a big contract. But I think Cutler could have said he'll give a hometown discount without the insinuation that his contract could merit some sort of salary cap buster, even if slightly in jest.

On a related note, I do like that he's said he's refraining from becoming a big commercial pitchman (he's done a couple here and there) until he's proved himself more in Chicago. So I'm not saying anything negative about his general attitude, just that one comment.

Anyway, at least for myself, I'm tired of "wait until next year" to see Cutler take that leap. He's a very good QB, and I'm satisfied with that. We don't need a new one, and I enjoy watching him. But I'm not expecting much more. We need to add more pieces. We're basically an offense with one star player, a couple of very good ones (Cutler and Forte--who I would've called a star before this current season), and a bunch of middling to poor players. I'm pretty sure at this point Cutler isn't going to have some magical effect on his teammates and bring everyone around him up a notch like the elite QBs do.

What I was saying is essentially that if he manages to get paid like an elite QB (his insinuation), then he'll be on track to be the first QB in history to go a whole career both getting talked about...and paid like he's elite while only showing it on the field once in a blue moon. Because for whatever Cutler's reasonable excuses may be, plenty of other QBs have had reasonable excuses through the years, and it didn't change that once the honeymoon period is over, ultimately this league expects results...either team or personal, if not both...but certainly not neither.

Cutler's a respected starting QB in th NFL, of course it'll be a big contract. But I think Cutler could have said he'll give a hometown discount without the insinuation that his contract could merit some sort of salary cap buster, even if slightly in jest.

Elite QB's don't throw off their back foot. Hopefully he knows his production is not elite and doesn't demand to be paid as such. Of course we'll never know as long as he is running for his life in any scheme except max protect...

Anyway, at least for myself, I'm tired of "wait until next year" to see Cutler take that leap. He's a very good QB, and I'm satisfied with that. We don't need a new one, and I enjoy watching him. But I'm not expecting much more. We need to add more pieces. We're basically an offense with one star player, a couple of very good ones (Cutler and Forte--who I would've called a star before this current season), and a bunch of middling to poor players. I'm pretty sure at this point Cutler isn't going to have some magical effect on his teammates and bring everyone around him up a notch like the elite QBs do.

That's basically what I was trying to say earlier in the thread. It's not that I think he's near the worst QB in the league, I just don't think he is near the best either. I just wonder where he sees his value pre-hometown discount vs. his actual value compared to similarly talented qbs.