Goodbye, Brian

Connorbear

See below. Maybe he didn't use the word "stupid" but believe the message was similar.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/1...rce=top-modules

A couple of points:

1. He was not in front of the microphone, he was walking off the field at halftime of the game. Most likely he didn't know he was on camera. He didn't have time to think about his reaction. It doesn't excuse what he said but I have a harder time criticizing him for it. However, I would ask him what he would expect from us - they were playing like crap against a horrible team.

2. Urlacher was in a staged situation hours after the game and was most likely told beforehand what he was going to be asked. Either he is too stupid to realize his words have consequences or he doesn't give a crap. I think its both.

Really, I don't understand what the back and forth between us is about. I criticized Urlacher because I think as a member of any professional sports team it is unwise to criticize your fans publicly. He has every right to say it. I have every right to criticize him back. Really, that is the end of the argument.

Peace :dabears

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, didn't mean any disrespect. I myself spent 21 years in the Navy. My dad was in Viet Nam (mom served as Navy Nurse during the same time), both my grandfathers served in WWII. Heck I've even got roots to a Captain in the Union Army during the Civil War. I understand and appreciate all that you and they have done.

The comparison I am making is the thankless attitiude expressed by some here in regards to the investment like a person Urlacher has made in the team we all "love". Similar to what you illustrated. I think it easy for an "outsider" (as some here are) to grade the reaction that a player like Urlacher is/was on his reaction to fans is sad...in some cases, pathetic. The "ties that bind" I refer to are similar in regards to playing in a game where people get hurt and have heard that the commanaility is that of combat veterans where you know you can trust the guy next to you moreso the guy that isn't. That was the only comparison being made. And when someone from outside says that you aren't cutting the mustard to their expectation, then "f*ck em". In my mind, its acceptable for that player to feel that way.

To you, I apologize if the analogy I made offended you. Instead the comparison I will make is this. A guy and his brother are walking down the street and some other guy (dude #3) calls one brother a deragortory term. The other brother might take exception, maybe even kick dude #3's backside. But when they get home, brother #2 calls brother #1 the same deragotory term. At home, its all good.

To you sir, thank you for your service. And I am truly appreciative of the sacrifice involved and sorry that you haven't gotten back what you put in.

Thankless attitude? I love this team and I have been a huge fan of Urlacher for years. However, when he openly criticizes the fans, I have the right to criticize him back. This doesn't mean I have a thankless attitude.

I think it easy for an "outsider" (as some here are) to grade the reaction that a player like Urlacher is/was on his reaction to fans is sad...in some cases, pathetic.

What exactly are trying to imply here? Please expand.

That truly sums it up...

Really, I don't understand what the back and forth between us is about. I criticized Urlacher because I think as a member of any professional sports team it is unwise to criticize your fans publicly. He has every right to say it. I have every right to criticize him back. Really, that is the end of the argument.

Sounds like we just disagree...

On the flip side, I love Cutler's persona. He's a total 100% jerk. However, he's never called out the fans. He probably feels that way I'm sure... The man reeks "don't care". But I think he's savvy enough to know that's just a wise thing to say unless you're trying to get a ticket out of town.

I too am confused and await Alsaka's response...

It is somehow OK for Url to be thankless to fans, but not OK for fans to be thankless of him (even though, thankless isn't correct...it's more angered by unwise comments)? Last I checked he got paid to play pro ball and fans don't get paid for being fans. In fact, they pay...

Thankless attitude? I love this team and I have been a huge fan of Urlacher for years. However, when he openly criticizes the fans, I have the right to criticize him back. This doesn't mean I have a thankless attitude.

I think it easy for an "outsider" (as some here are) to grade the reaction that a player like Urlacher is/was on his reaction to fans is sad...in some cases, pathetic.

So are we still doing the "back and forth" or will this be it? Simply put, are you on the team? Unless you're playing for the 2012 Bears, you are an outsider. His frustration is equally postioned on how he feels at the moment and how he feels from his time in Chicago. Is his commentary pragmatic or simply emotional? Probably the latter.

*Edit* The original point was of this whole post and how I see it as an overreaction on your part. Because he said this, you would just as soon write "Goodbye Brian" because he said it. And why I suggest it is "sad or pathetic" is because you might actually mean that. I'm not that dismissive of him as a player and what he's produced for us, the fans.

So are we still doing the "back and forth" or will this be it? Simply put, are you on the team? Unless you're playing for the 2012 Bears, you are an outsider. His frustration is equally postioned on how he feels at the moment and how he feels from his time in Chicago. Is his commentary pragmatic or simply emotional? Probably the latter.

*Edit* The original point was of this whole post and how I see it as an overreaction on your part. Because he said this, you would just as soon write "Goodbye Brian" because he said it. And why I suggest it is "sad or pathetic" is because you might actually mean that. I'm not that dismissive of him as a player and what he's produced for us, the fans.

This will be it. No further discussion needed. Enjoy the day.

I dont have a problem with the fans booing or with Urlachers response. The way I look at it he has given Chicago everything he has on the field for over a decade. Hes been a leader and nobody has ever accused him of never giving 100%.

If the fans booing bothers him then he can express it however he likes. Hes sticking up for his teammates. Its not possible to differentiate between a boo meant for players, the coaches or even the front office so if the fans are booing when the players are on the field then its easy to see why a player would get defensive. In reality Im sure a lot of the fans are more upset with coaching and personnel moves than they are with the players.

Id prefer to have a guy openly admit hes playing for himself and his teammates but leaves it all on the field than a guy who is friendly with fans but doesnt always give 100%

I dont have a problem with the fans booing or with Urlachers response. The way I look at it he has given Chicago everything he has on the field for over a decade. Hes been a leader and nobody has ever accused him of never giving 100%.

If the fans booing bothers him then he can express it however he likes. Hes sticking up for his teammates. Its not possible to differentiate between a boo meant for players, the coaches or even the front office so if the fans are booing when the players are on the field then its easy to see why a player would get defensive. In reality Im sure a lot of the fans are more upset with coaching and personnel moves than they are with the players.

Id prefer to have a guy openly admit hes playing for himself and his teammates but leaves it all on the field than a guy who is friendly with fans but doesnt always give 100%

Thank you and couldn't agree more. Well said.