Podlesh?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

With the news that stud LSU P Brad Wing is going pro, would he or any other college or FA punter interest you?

Podlesh was 21st in average last year and is 30th this year. While he was 6th in net last year, he's 19th this year.

He's due a bit over a million every year until 2016.

Yes, I would use a 6th or 7th on a Kicker/Punter. Maybe a 5th if the dude is truly elite.

If you've noticed, a bunch of good kickers/punters from last year are all of a sudden struggling, which makes me highly suspect. Kickers like Crosby, Akers, Vinatieri, Gostkowski, etc for kickers, and a bunch of punters as well, Podlesh included.

Draft a punter? Hell no. We have way too many other issues.

Peace :dabears

Like what? In round 5-7, you probably won't get a good player. When have the Bears EVER gotten a Brady or even a TJ Houshmandzadeh?

This past year, they drafted Isiah Frey and Greg McCoy in 6 and 7. In 2011 they took Enderle and JT Thomas. In 2010, they selected Webb and Dan LeFevour. Those all worked out well. If you can get the 1st or 2nd best P prospect, I say do it.

Like what? In round 5-7, you probably won't get a good player. When have the Bears EVER gotten a Brady or even a TJ Houshmandzadeh?

This past year, they drafted Isiah Frey and Greg McCoy in 6 and 7. In 2011 they took Enderle and JT Thomas. In 2010, they selected Webb and Dan LeFevour. Those all worked out well. If you can get the 1st or 2nd best P prospect, I say do it.

I agree, there is very little value in round 6 and 7 for positional players. However, if you can get a top 1 or 2 prospect kicker or punter, and sign for a rookie deal in that slot. There is significant value there.

I agree, there is very little value in round 6 and 7 for positional players. However, if you can get a top 1 or 2 prospect kicker or punter, and sign for a rookie deal in that slot. There is significant value there.

Exactly. Out of the last six 5-7 round picks of the Bears, one is a starter (but is a bad one) and the other is a ST player. ST players are nice, but you can get those as UDFA's or other 5-7 rounders. A punter is round 5, 6 or 7 is not a bad move, IMO.

Exactly. Out of the last six 5-7 round picks of the Bears, one is a starter (but is a bad one) and the other is a ST player. ST players are nice, but you can get those as UDFA's or other 5-7 rounders. A punter is round 5, 6 or 7 is not a bad move, IMO.

I believe Allen and Wing are both projected from the 4th to 6th round. If one of them was there in the 5th, I would not see that as a bad pick whatsoever. The pick would help our ST and cap numbers for several years.

Another interesting name is Quinn Sharp, who handles K and P duties for OK ST.

With Podlesh's injury early in the year clearly affecting him in the first few games, then it appeared he had some bad form (maybe from compensating from the injury). Lately he's corrected that and appears to be punting better. With so many issues on our roster giving up a draft pick to grab a punter seems like a waste and I don't care what the odds are of a "hit" on a late round pick. We are in a spot where we have to throw numbers at some positions like Oline.

With Podlesh's injury early in the year clearly affecting him in the first few games, then it appeared he had some bad form (maybe from compensating from the injury). Lately he's corrected that and appears to be punting better. With so many issues on our roster giving up a draft pick to grab a punter seems like a waste and I don't care what the odds are of a "hit" on a late round pick. We are in a spot where we have to throw numbers at some positions like Oline.

Ding, ding. We have a winner.

Peace :dabears

So instead of signing a OT or OG and using 2 of the first 3 picks on OL, you want them to take their chance on a 5th-7th rounder?

I said I'd rather take a chance on an Oline prospect with a 5-7th round pick than draft any punter. That statement, in and of itself, does not mean that is the only action I want the team to take regarding fixing our Oline problems. I also said that we should be throwing numbers at the problem which does mean that we'd have to be taking other actions to fix the Oline besides using just a late round draft pick on one.

That is a huge waste of picks, too. So, sign 2 OL as FA's, then draft 4 or 5? To do what with?

I didn't state that either. Stop reading so much into what isn't written. Never have I said Oline is all we should draft, nor is it our only problem. I even said that in what I originally wrote ("we are in a spot where we have to throw number at some positions" ..... note the "s" on the end of that word) and Oline is just one of those positions. I think LB is another that needs a couple new bodies in the mix and one of them needs to be a high draft pick.

Add TE to the list as well, we need more versatility out of the spot than we have now. Adams can't block but can catch and run. Spaeth can't run or catch. KDavis is not worth the contract we gave him and has no fluidity when he runs (meaning he can't cut nor does he have a feel for running routes). We can't go into next season with two stiffs as our top two TEs.

I'm open to FA and/or draft to fixing these spots. If Lovie is gone chances are good that we won't draft a safety.

I said I'd rather take a chance on an Oline prospect with a 5-7th round pick than draft any punter. That statement, in and of itself, does not mean that is the only action I want the team to take regarding fixing our Oline problems. I also said that we should be throwing numbers at the problem which does mean that we'd have to be taking other actions to fix the Oline besides using just a late round draft pick on one.

Abso-freaking-lutely.