Rank the Candidates

Bears4Ever_34

Rank the coaching candidates based on who you think is the best fit. I'll explain my top 3

Mine:

1- McCoy

2- Dennison

3- Trestman

4- Sullivan

5- Bevell

6- Arians

7- Carmichael

8- Clements

9- Toub

10- Decamillas

The rest-- Hell no!

Top 3:

1- McCoy

Type of offense: Shotgun heavy passing attack/short-medium, mix of power running and zone running concepts

+ Adaptable

+ Gets the most out of a QB

+ Experience working with Peyton Manning

+ Young and hungry

- Best year statistically as an offense is this season under Manning

- Uncertainty over how much control he has over play calling

2- Dennison

Type of offense: Run first, play action passing game. Not much shotgun. West coast style.

+ Experience working with Cutler, Marshall, and Bates in Denver

+ Offensive line guru

+ Knowledge of all areas of the game (ST coach, OL coach, OC, and was a defensive player during his career)

+ Zone blocking scheme

- Uncertainty over who calls the plays in Houston

- Offense relies on run game to be effective. Everything based off play action

3A- Trestman

Type of offense: ? Not sure since he's been in Canada since 2008. I believe, based on the team's he coordinated for in the NFL, seems to be west coast savy.

+ Wealth of football knowledge and experience

+ Twice coordinated the #1 passing offense in NFL (49ers in 1995, Raiders in 2002)

+ Served as Offensive Coordinator during Jerry Rice's record-setting season of 1,848 yards and 15 TDs in 1995

+ Coached NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 2002 (QB Rich Gannon)

+ Known as one of the most prolific quarterback teachers in the game today. Gets quarterbacks ready for the draft

+ Sean Payton hired him to be a consultant for his offense in New Orleans.. If Sean Payton hires you to be a consultant, you obviously know a hell of a lot about offense.

- One of the older candidates (56)

- Never spent more than 2 years at one job in the NFL

- Spent last 5 seasons in the CFL

- Maybe has a little Mike Martz in him? Can be known as a guy who's the smartest person in the room regardless of who's in the room

- Low key, doesn't seem to be energetic

3B- Mike Sullivan:

Type of offense: Power run, Deep passing attack. Aggressive style.

+ Developed Eli Manning into a Superbowl winner

+ Knows how to use receivers

+ Elevated Tampa Bay's offense to 11th in one season

- Only one year of coordinating experience

- Offensive style reminds me of what we've seen from the Bears in the past. Power run-deep throwing, which could lead to a ton of picks from Cutler.

- Had Doug Martin as RB

1. McCoy

2. Arians

3. Sullivan

4. ...no idea

I sure Trestman could be it, or some of the other guys. But I think those 3 seem to have what we're looking for.

Rank the coaching candidates based on who you think is the best fit. I'll explain my top 3

Mine:

1- McCoy

2- Dennison

3- Trestman

4- Sullivan

5- Bevell

6- Arians

7- Carmichael

8- Clements

9- Toub

10- Decamillas

The rest-- Hell no!

Top 3:

1- McCoy

Type of offense: Shotgun heavy passing attack/short-medium, mix of power running and zone running concepts

+ Adaptable

+ Young and hungry

2- Dennison

Type of offense: Run first, play action passing game. Not much shotgun. West coast style.

+ Offensive line guru

+ Knowledge of all areas of the game (ST coach, OL coach, OC, and was a defensive player during his career)

+ Zone blocking scheme

3A- Trestman

Type of offense: ? Not sure since he's been in Canada since 2008. I believe, based on the team's he coordinated for in the NFL, seems to be west coast savy.

+ Twice coordinated the #1 passing offense in NFL (49ers in 1995, Raiders in 2002)

+ Served as Offensive Coordinator during Jerry Rice's record-setting season of 1,848 yards and 15 TDs in 1995

+ Known as one of the most prolific quarterback teachers in the game today. Gets quarterbacks ready for the draft

+ Sean Payton hired him to be a consultant for his offense in New Orleans.. If Sean Payton hires you to be a consultant, you obviously know a hell of a lot about offense.

- Maybe has a little Mike Martz in him? Can be known as a guy who's the smartest person in the room regardless of who's in the room

3B- Mike Sullivan:

- Offensive style reminds me of what we've seen from the Bears in the past. Power run-deep throwing, which could lead to a ton of picks from Cutler.

- Had Doug Martin as RB

Mine:

1- McCoy

2- Dennison

3- Trestman

4- Sullivan

5- Bevell

6- Arians

7- Carmichael

8- Clements

9- Toub

10- Decamillas

The rest-- Hell no!

Top 3:

1- McCoy

+ Adaptable

+ Young and hungry

2- Dennison

+ Offensive line guru

+ Zone blocking scheme

3A- Trestman

3B- Mike Sullivan:

- Had Doug Martin as RB

Sullivan had the most extensive interview, 6 hours instead of 3. and McCoys ran over an hour. I think I like McCoy the best, but have a hunch Sullivan gets the job. His previous experience was in NY with Eli, during his successful years. Run, pass, balance, play action, deep passing attack. I think that would work well here.

Sullivan had the most extensive interview, 6 hours instead of 3. and McCoys ran over an hour. I think I like McCoy the best, but have a hunch Sullivan gets the job. His previous experience was in NY with Eli, during his successful years. Run, pass, balance, play action, deep passing attack. I think that would work well here.

If im not mistaken i thought i heard trestmans interview went for 8 hrs

From all the reports, it looks like Sullivan, McCoy, Dennison, and Trestman are the frontrunners, but Arians can be in the conversation after this weekend. Getting excited as we get closer to Emery's self-imposed deadline. To me, if he really wants someone by the 19th, let's hope it is not one of the guys still in the playoffs (McCoy and Dennison), and we don't settle for someone else.

At this point, I would be happy with any of the top 5 as they each bring decent pedigrees and experience to the position.

I started to make a descriptive top, but realized after I got to number 5 how winded I can be. With the finalists probably being announced Monday or Tuesday I'll spare you that. My 2 top requirements is potent offense and grooming QBs. Cutler needs a lot of grooming, and if that don't work the next QB will need it.

My top 10

#1 Marc Trestmen

Flat out, I laughed when I saw he was a CFL coach, but got blown away by his resume when I read up on him.

#2 Pete Carmichael

Drew Brees was so average, Rivers was drafted. He played above average before going to New Orleans and becoming elite. Carmichael had a hand in that, and has been a part of one of the most explosive offenses in the league despite no other stand out talent than Brees.

# 3 Bruce Arians

What he did this year speaks for itself. 1st round pick to the play offs after huge turn over and a rookie QB. 9-3 as an interm coach.

#4 Tom Clements

Knows the rivals offense and D well, helped Grbac, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox to pro bowls in consecutive years, helped develop Aaron Rogers. Been apart of a lot of great offenses.

#5 Mike Sullivan

I don't know a lot about the guy. He obviously impressed Emery tho, and must have something special to get the interview after such little experience in the NFL

#6 Mike McCoy

The Thomas comment this summer really stuck with me, as I follow Manning and thought dang he's a better OC then the OC there after reading that

#7 Dave Toub

Excels at what he does

#8 Darrell Bevell

He did great things with a rookie QB and Seattle this yet. They straight up wore the Bears out.

#9 Rick Dennison

He has a familiarity with some of the top offensive personnel, but Schaub seemed to have regressed this year under him

#10 Mike Singletary

He's not a ST coach and can be fun to watch on the sidelines. Definitely don't want to see him hired.

I am thinking Marc Trestman at the top. Bring in some fresh blood with new and unknown concepts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

Has his coaching career on the right

Hey hey look who came around. Just yesterday you said you'd be a Bills fan if they hired him...I can understand thinking that if you had no background on the guy, other than him being a CFL coach for the last 5 years, but now that it looks like you did research on him its good to see you come around. It's really hard to argue with his resume, I want the Bears to be the first to give him a shot.

Guest TerraTor
Wait we agree on something. Wheres my calendar. I think thats a 1st even going back to the old board lol

HA! I am not that hardheaded. Just good fun and for sake of argument.. :cheers