Cavanaugh new QB coach

madlithuanian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is time for Cutler to step up to the plate. I realize he has been handicapped by inept OCs and a terrible OL but I still feel he has still, with this in mind, fallen short of what one could expect from a franchise QB getting the big bucks he is getting paid. I feel Trestman will provide him with the protection he needs and will be the best OC we have had in a long long time. If Cutler fails this year to get it turned around, I suspect he will be gone.

I agree completely, let's hope he pulls out all of the stops, grows up, and fulfils his potential! I have no doubt he could be a great one...

During his initial press conference Trestman said one line that stood out among many (paraphrasing): The QB must take what is there and live for the next play.

This is one of Cutler's weaknesses as we have often seen him overlook wide open options on short underneath routes only to throw into coverage 15-20 yards down the field.

I really have no worries for him as I think behind a good line he will excel but if for whatever reason it'd be nice to get a backup in here this year that's potentially waiting in the wings. Not a veteran rehash like Jason Campbell but someone who can still develop under Trestman.

We have the kid from whitewater wi to develop. He looked decent in preseason last year.

During his initial press conference Trestman said one line that stood out among many (paraphrasing): The QB must take what is there and live for the next play.

This is one of Cutler's weaknesses as we have often seen him overlook wide open options on short underneath routes only to throw into coverage 15-20 yards down the field.

He definately hates settling for the short gainers. I think that has added to his sack total as well, as he tends to wait at times.

He definately hates settling for the short gainers. I think that has added to his sack total as well, as he tends to wait at times.

Is it because he does not like to settle for short gainers or because he cannot find a WR open?

He threw a lot of shot balls to Brandon during the season because he knew even though he was covered, many times doubled, Brandon could still manage to get the reception. However, other wide receivers seem to fail to gain any separation to get open.

I think it is more than a lack of ability of our WRs to get open, I think this was primarily do to poor play calling and play design.

I am hoping Trestman can show enough imagination to help our WRs with his play calling to get them some routes to gain separation.

Imagination, key word here, it has been awhile since our offense "fooled" anyone. It would be refreshing if Trestman can bring in a fresh playbook and weekly changes as previously mentioned to keep defenses guessing.

I am hoping Trestman can show enough imagination to help our WRs with his play calling to get them some routes to gain separation.

Imagination, key word here, it has been awhile since our offense "fooled" anyone. It would be refreshing if Trestman can bring in a fresh playbook and weekly changes as previously mentioned to keep defenses guessing.

Now that would be refreshing!

Is it because he does not like to settle for short gainers or because he cannot find a WR open?

He threw a lot of shot balls to Brandon during the season because he knew even though he was covered, many times doubled, Brandon could still manage to get the reception. However, other wide receivers seem to fail to gain any separation to get open.

I think it is more than a lack of ability of our WRs to get open, I think this was primarily do to poor play calling and play design.

I get what you are saying and agree it's part of the equation. I also have seen too many better options open as the ball was being forced to Marshall. Your hope for Trestman echoes through us all.

Late in the season I can remember him throwing over a wide open Rodriguez with 10 to 15 yds open space in front of him to pass to a double covered Marshall or Jeffrey in the endzone, a pass that went incomplete. With just 10 yds to go for a first down in the red zone and a couple plays to get it, taking the shorter option would have been the wise thing to do. Cutler was moving out of the pocket to his left due to pressure so he had to see Rodriguez right in front of him.

In the first Green Bay game how many guys were covering Marshall? Always at least two and often three. Given that, it's hard to believe we couldn't get someone else open. A big chunk of that problem goes to Tice who upon seeing that heavy focus on one player couldn't scheme to take advantage of what they were doing but Cutler shares part of that responsibility too. Regardless the Packers knew where Cutler was looking to first and second option so they just stuck with it.

Guest TerraTor
I realize people expect Trestman to play a large part in helping Cutler, but nevertheless, Matt Cananaugh is technically the QB coach...chosen by Trestman. So is that a good thing?

Guy is a 7year vet. He doesnt need a Qb Coach.

I realize people expect Trestman to play a large part in helping Cutler, but nevertheless, Matt Cananaugh is technically the QB coach...chosen by Trestman. So is that a good thing?

Meh, he was the QB coach under Trestman in San Fran, probably just a trusted friend. Trestmans hands will be the only molding the clay.

Meh, he was the QB coach under Trestman in San Fran, probably just a trusted friend. Trestmans hands will be the only molding the clay.

Yeah, I had picked up on the underwhelmed vibe...before the topic got thoroughly hijacked. But glass half full, possibly having a QB coach with a stronger signature could interfere with what Trestman has planned. So having someone who's worked under him before will help ensure that they are both on the same page.

I heard Cutler's offseason regimen has already begun with him getting instruction to spend 5 minutes a day smiling at himself in the mirror and saying "You're worth it, and your teammates and fans love you".