Read option to be part of the new offense

BearFan2000

Excited about this. I'm sure it will be something we use on occasion, maybe 3rd and short situations to keep the defense honest. The best part about the Pistol offense is how dangerous the play action fake can be in the passing game. Cutler will now have a lot more open space to work with whenever they go to the pistol.

I think this does suit Cutler and agree I don't see it being used a lot but used situationally (what a concept the Bears doing anything situationally lol). I like that Trestman is thinking outside of what us Bears fans are used to seeing as the preverbal box. An offense with roots in the west coast system that utilizes various different wrinkles tailored to our players to get the best out of what we have will be a breath of fresh air. This along with the Hester thing (assuming he remains a bear) we have a head coach who sees what we see that Hester is a returner period not a WR. Here's hoping to a coaching regime less likely to try to force square pegs into round holes!

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog

Was at Trestman's table when asked about read option. Never heard him say Cutler would run it. Said it would be in playbook. Big difference.

Maybe that means we run a "Wildcat" package? It also doesn't necessarily mean Cutler won't run it....If it's a wildcat package bring on Josh Johnson.

I don't think this suits Cutler well at all. He's just not a running QB in that sense of the word. But since he's been running for his life ever since he got to Chicago, it's really not that big of a change for him.

Previously, he knew he probably had to take off running multiple plays a game.

Now, he knows he probably has to take off running multiple plays a game.

And if this is something put into the playbook as a means of getting Cutler out for a few plays, I like it even less. It's the same as when Hester used to come in. The playbook is limited, the defense knows what's coming, and the chance of success is minimized. It's the same ole Lovie Smith concept of "we don't have to trick you - we just have to execute better."

I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're not going to run Cutler to death. I'm sure they'll be smart with it, and it'll be used sparingly.

I'm glad it's in the playbook, and I hope we see more pistol offense that's not part of the read option package. Could be just a simple hand off, could be a misdirection run or a play action pass. Anything to keep the defense honest.

Assuming this is about having a running QB then in no way do I see Cutler running this and in no way do I like it. Maybe with the bigger guys it can work ...for awhile but they are going to get hurt. The game is all about passing accuracy and you don't risk that. I'm with Mike Tomlin on this one...."it's just the latest fad, we'll see how much they like their QBs getting hit."

If we're doing this at all I suspect we'll have more of a passing read option, not much different from a play action fake except the QB decides if he hands off or keeps the ball to pass instead of keeping it to run. In any case since nobody has a clue what our offense looks like he just told the first few teams on our schedule they have to plan for something that we might not run.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're not going to run Cutler to death. I'm sure they'll be smart with it, and it'll be used sparingly.

I'm glad it's in the playbook, and I hope we see more pistol offense that's not part of the read option package. Could be just a simple hand off, could be a misdirection run or a play action pass. Anything to keep the defense honest.

I didn't see the Patriots, Broncos, Saints, or Packers concern themselves with the read-option that much. How in the world did they keep opposing defenses honest?

I don't see us running it a lot but more like once in a while, Cutler is a mobile QB and I do see this as similar to play action as AZ pointed out. It would be dumb to run this a lot or use it exclusively that isn't who Cutler is and it is going to get those running QB's killed. But having it in the playbook and being able to pull it out when the situation is right I can see it being effective. If it's done sparingly as I believe it will be then I'm for it if it's something we will see a lot of then I'm not a fan of it as it only exposes Jay to more hits. Trestman has already said that protecting Jay is a top priority so I don't see us using it a lot but having it available doesn't hurt.

I didn't see the Patriots, Broncos, Saints, or Packers concern themselves with the read-option that much. How in the world did they keep opposing defenses honest?

You are so missing the point.

It's not about needing to run a specific play, it's about putting things on tape, which keeps teams in the film room. I'm all for anything that may give the Bears an advantage. One of the reasons Trestman was hired was because of his offensive ingenuity. If that means sprinkling in the read option a time or two every so often to open up a play action pass, great.

You are so missing the point.

It's not about needing to run a specific play, it's about putting things on tape, which keeps teams in the film room. I'm all for anything that may give the Bears an advantage. One of the reasons Trestman was hired was because of his offensive ingenuity.

My point is that it's not necessary. The Bears could put in a quadruple reverse to spice things up as well, but it wouldn't be a good idea.

It's possible to keep a defense off-balance without resorting to too much gimmick, and without potentially injuring your franchise QB.

My point is that it's not necessary. The Bears could put in a quadruple reverse to spice things up as well, but it wouldn't be a good idea.

It's possible to keep a defense off-balance without resorting to too much gimmick, and without potentially injuring your franchise QB.

Well then you better find a better example than the Patriots, Packers, Broncos, or Saints because all of those teams have some kind of creative trademark or gimmick that they use to keep the defense off-balance.

It's not necessary to do a lot of things. It's possible the Bears could win games without running a single play out of the shotgun too.

Well then you better find a better example than the Patriots, Packers, Broncos, or Saints because all of those teams have some kind of creative trademark or gimmick that they use to keep the defense off-balance.

It's not necessary to do a lot of things. It's possible the Bears could win games without running a single play out of the shotgun too.

What are their creative trademarks? Other than the Saints - who use a lot of pistol - they are just juggernaut offenses who use a passing pack to destroy opposing defenses.

What are their creative trademarks? Other than the Saints - who use a lot of pistol - they are just juggernaut offenses who use a passing pack to destroy opposing defenses.

How about New England last year taking a portion out of the Chip Kelly playbook? Green Bay uses read option concepts with Randall Cobb out of the backfield, do they not? Then there is Peyton Manning and his trade mark no huddle offense that no other team besides the Atlanta Falcons have tried to duplicate.

My question to you would be, why do you think teams are putting this stuff into their offense if they don't find it beneficial?

To me this just seems like Trestman is just giving the other teams more to think about. The best part is that Trestman seems genuinely excited about working with Cutler. I just hope Gannon and Young are right, and that Cutler will flourish under Trestman's tutelage.

How about New England last year taking a portion out of the Chip Kelly playbook? Green Bay uses read option concepts with Randall Cobb out of the backfield, do they not? Then there is Peyton Manning and his trade mark no huddle offense that no other team besides the Atlanta Falcons have tried to duplicate.

My question to you would be, why do you think teams are putting this stuff into their offense if they don't find it beneficial?

All the stuff you mentioned still leaves their superstar QB out of harms way. It still has other guys flying around, and the QBs standing where they should be.

As for why other teams are doing it? Well, they're trying to trick the defense. Easy. But the key word is: trying. It will work for a while, but then it will die off because things like this have been tried before, and the end result was hurt QBs. QBs being the most important player on offense and all, well, sorta makes the decision to minimize the use pretty easy. The athletic prowess of some players today is just incredible, and they're "trying" to maximize that ability. The problem is - IMHO - they are trying to structure what should be dynamic, and they are jeopardizing their franchise player. The other aspect is, they don't know yet if it will be beneficial. It's like cooking; sometimes you just have to try a new spice. Might make you puke, might make you smile. I just don't think it's a smart move to jeopardize a franchise QB like that, particularly one who has been injury prone and never really known as a traditional "running QB."

All the stuff you mentioned still leaves their superstar QB out of harms way. It still has other guys flying around, and the QBs standing where they should be.

As for why other teams are doing it? Well, they're trying to trick the defense. Easy. But the key word is: trying. It will work for a while, but then it will die off because things like this have been tried before, and the end result was hurt QBs. QBs being the most important player on offense and all, well, sorta makes the decision to minimize the use pretty easy. The athletic prowess of some players today is just incredible, and they're "trying" to maximize that ability. The problem is - IMHO - they are trying to structure what should be dynamic, and they are jeopardizing their franchise player. The other aspect is, they don't know yet if it will be beneficial. It's like cooking; sometimes you just have to try a new spice. Might make you puke, might make you smile. I just don't think it's a smart move to jeopardize a franchise QB like that, particularly one who has been injury prone and never really known as a traditional "running QB."

Maybe Cutler is supposed to read Webb's block and then start running?

So basically you just don't like the read option?

Just trying to see what your stance was on everything else. The funny thing is though, RGIII wasn't even hurt on a read option play. It wasn't even on a designed run either. I understand that play leaves your QB open to more hits, but it's not nearly as dangerous as the spread option, or the triple option play you see in college football where the QB is running parallel to the LOS until the last possible second when he chooses to either keep it or shovel pass it off to the RB. You usually have room to slide or get out of bounds because of the space it creates in a defense.

I'm not even hung up so much on the Bears running the read option as much as I want to see them be more creative in general with their play calling. I think San Francisco is a perfect example of an offense that's a pain in the ass to game plan against, even prior to them running the pistol with Kaepernick. We witnessed it first hand. Now they're just a nightmare.

So basically you just don't like the read option?

Just trying to see what your stance was on everything else. The funny thing is though, RGIII wasn't even hurt on a read option play. It wasn't even on a designed run either. I understand that play leaves your QB open to more hits, but it's not nearly as dangerous as the spread option, or the triple option play you see in college football where the QB is running parallel to the LOS until the last possible second when he chooses to either keep it or shovel pass it off to the RB. You usually have room to slide or get out of bounds because of the space it creates in a defense.

I'm not even hung up so much on the Bears running the read option as much as I want to see them be more creative in general with their play calling. I think San Francisco is a perfect example of an offense that's a pain in the ass to game plan against, even prior to them running the pistol with Kaepernick. We witnessed it first hand. Now they're just a nightmare.

I don't like it with a pass-first QB who has a great arm. If the Bears had someone like Vick or RGIII I'd be more inclined to think it was a good move.

Kind of what I said up-thread. We already had the read-option.

Read - Did Webb and co. block their opponents?

Option - Oh shit! Better run!

LOL! Thinking the same.

Seriously, maybe Trestman put it out there to make teams gameplan a little differently against us. It's been said, that it affects prep time for other areas. So it could be a smokescreen we see in preseason and never see utilized in the regular. Or just a plan for the backup QB.