wow we are getting better

Wesson44

I think we still need another drafted player to make this a better OL.

At this point, the Bears need to draft some guys for depth at a number of positions, but they don't obviously need an immediate front line starter at any position.

They're in a great place to trade down, grab an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, and start putting guys into the rotation.

At this point, the Bears need to draft some guys for depth at a number of positions, but they don't obviously need an immediate front line starter at any position.

They're in a great place to trade down, grab an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, and start putting guys into the rotation.

I would say they could use a starting RG, but yeah, I wouldn't say "need."

I would say they could use a starting RG, but yeah, I wouldn't say "need."

They might be able to use one, but they have at least a couple guys on their roster who can obviously be plugged into that role and do a decent job. I'd put the LB's and WR's and 2nd TE and CB's and D-Line all in that same boat.

It is really interesting how the new coaching/management staff have made so many moves which have not been seen from the previous staff. It seems we have really maximised our cap money on solid players and addressed needs, it is good to see that we have some guys in place that will actually make the moves necessary to win, ie providing Cutler the line needed to ensure the has the time to show us what he has to offer.

It is really interesting how the new coaching/management staff have made so many moves which have not been seen from the previous staff. It seems we have really maximised our cap money on solid players and addressed needs, it is good to see that we have some guys in place that will actually make the moves necessary to win, ie providing Cutler the line needed to ensure the has the time to show us what he has to offer.

I couldn't agree more. When cutler got here he had a train wreck all around him. Now he has 2 solid WRs(1 elite). A good pass catching TE. A multi purpose back and possibly the online since his days in Denver (though that's not saying much. Now its all on him. If he puts up dude gets huge extension and if he doesn't he's gone

I couldn't agree more. When cutler got here he had a train wreck all around him. Now he has 2 solid WRs(1 elite). A good pass catching TE. A multi purpose back and possibly the online since his days in Denver (though that's not saying much. Now its all on him. If he puts up dude gets huge extension and if he doesn't he's gone

Cutler is not going anywhere, because or what he has done with many sorry OLines. Now that they are going to produce something worth watching and have an offensive minded coach his numbers are going to rise and we will have less three and outs and score more points.

Cutler is not going anywhere, because or what he has done with many sorry OLines. Now that they are going to produce something worth watching and have an offensive minded coach his numbers are going to rise and we will have less three and outs and score more points.

We said that when he had Martz, then got Marshall with Tice and Bates. I'll hold off on saying "he's not going anywhere" at the moment.

We said that when he had Martz, then got Marshall with Tice and Bates. I'll hold off on saying "he's not going anywhere" at the moment.

lol...Martz system sucked we all knew what was coming, Tice could not call or get the plays in and I think he didn't use bates at all

lol...Martz system sucked we all knew what was coming, Tice could not call or get the plays in and I think he didn't use bates at all

This is Cutler's last stand. If he can't put up top 10 QB stats, with the Bears making a solid playoff run, I can't see Emery extending/re-signing him. He basically has to have his best season with the Bears to instill any confidence in the organization.

Let me start out by saying that Cutler had some of his best stretches under Martz (after the bye in 2010 and 2011), so that's nonsense, but anyhow..."Martz system sucked?" That's hindsight. At the time, it was "Martz is an offensive guru." Then they hired Tice and traded for Marshall, and it was "well, Tice lets him audible, Martz won't be around to get him killed on 7 step drops, he likes Tice, and he loves Marshall! This will be great!"

Let me start out by saying that Cutler had some of his best stretches under Martz (after the bye in 2010 and 2011), so that's nonsense, but anyhow..."Martz system sucked?" That's hindsight. At the time, it was "Martz is an offensive guru." Then they hired Tice and traded for Marshall, and it was "well, Tice lets him audible, Martz won't be around to get him killed on 7 step drops, he likes Tice, and he loves Marshall! This will be great!"

There were still a lot of restrictions to the offense the last few years that the coaching staff alone can't fix. The line and the lack of a middle of the field option put a huge damper on the offense. The dynamic of Marshall over the top, Bennett working the middle, and Matt Forte underneath (basic principles of a WCO) is a recipe for success if you ask me. If Jeffery takes a step forward and stays healthy I'd be willing to bet that he at the very least has his best season as a Bear (which I know isn't much but we've won with him in the past with his sub par performances).

There were still a lot of restrictions to the offense the last few years that the coaching staff alone can't fix. The line and the lack of a middle of the field option put a huge damper on the offense. The dynamic of Marshall over the top, Bennett working the middle, and Matt Forte underneath (basic principles of a WCO) is a recipe for success if you ask me. If Jeffery takes a step forward and stays healthy I'd be willing to bet that he at the very least has his best season as a Bear (which I know isn't much but we've won with him in the past with his sub par performances).

"We've won with him in the past". He was a took last yr so what are u judging this on. Less than what was it 300 yds rcvg. I sure as hell hope he does better than that

Best year as a Bear? You make it seem like this will be his 4th year. If he's not better than what was he was last year, people will actually start believing my comparison of Braylon Edwards.

"We've won with him in the past". He was a took last yr so what are u judging this on. Less than what was it 300 yds rcvg. I sure as hell hope he does better than that

He's something like 17-6 in games he finishes over the last 2 years and he has one of the best records since he got here. I know that has a lot to do with the D but my statement remains true.

Best year as a Bear? You make it seem like this will be his 4th year. If he's not better than what was he was last year, people will actually start believing my comparison of Braylon Edwards.

I said at least for a reason. I believe he'll have a year like the ones he had in Denver.

I probably am a little drunk on koolaid but I am excited about the changes the new staff has made and the direction we are headed, particularly the crafty way they have signed people and added pieces of the puzzle that we really need while keeping the solid players we have had.

I am hopeful that Cutler will show his potential and the line will allow him to do so, although the proof will be in the pudding and remains to be seen. I tend to think that if Cutler does not have a good year he will walk, although I hope that doesn't happen.

If Jeffery takes a step forward and Bennett is solid we could have a heckuva good offence this year, Forte is solid and we have a good backup RB as well.

Again, IF the new LB's live up to their potential we could be better on D.

It is going to be an interesting year for Bears fans, so much more to look forward to than in past years with Lovie and Co....

But every one of those years I warned that the OL was going to stop/hinder the progress and potential of not only Cutler, but also the entire offense. And every year I was right. Let's hope Emery fixes that this year by drafting an OG (1st round if Cooper or Warmack are there), and a Center. I'd love to FINALLY see the offense set up for success for a change.

Martz's system didn't suck. It's just that he wasn't versatile or able to adjust to an OL that was absolutely dreadful. His system works when he has a competent/average OL blocking, and it excels when he has an above-average OL blocking. It's just that he never ran into a situation where the OL sucked so bad and submarined nearly every play he called that required more than a three-step drop and a single second in the pocket.

Martz's system didn't suck. It's just that he wasn't versatile or able to adjust to an OL that was absolutely dreadful. His system works when he has a competent/average OL blocking, and it excels when he has an above-average OL blocking. It's just that he never ran into a situation where the OL sucked so bad and submarined nearly every play he called that required more than a three-step drop and a single second in the pocket.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I always think this is worth considering...defensive linemen have taken a big step forwards in their athleticism over the past decade. The kinds of D-linemen that the SEC is pumping out regularly now just strike me as fast in a way that was not the case when Martz's system really produced success.

I wonder if part of the reason why Martz's system didn't work in Chicago is that it is predicated on linemen moving at the speed they did in the late 90's. If the linemen are on the QB 0.75 seconds faster now, and maybe you throw in a QB whose release is 0.25 seconds slow, then suddenly a pass that would have been a completion under pressure turns into a sack.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I always think this is worth considering...defensive linemen have taken a big step forwards in their athleticism over the past decade. The kinds of D-linemen that the SEC is pumping out regularly now just strike me as fast in a way that was not the case when Martz's system really produced success.

I wonder if part of the reason why Martz's system didn't work in Chicago is that it is predicated on linemen moving at the speed they did in the late 90's. If the linemen are on the QB 0.75 seconds faster now, and maybe you throw in a QB whose release is 0.25 seconds slow, then suddenly a pass that would have been a completion under pressure turns into a sack.

While I'll agree the athletes of today's NFL are better overall than they were 20 years ago watch some highlights of the 85 Bears to see how fast a defense can rush the passer.

I admit it's an interesting idea, but surely some of those same genetic freaks have turned into offensive linemen. Also, it would be easier to accept that theory if the Bears OL didn't actually suck for so long. Since they just suck it's a far more simple answer. Occam's Razor and all.