Replacing Moore and Izzy

scs787

At this point, 19 days before the draft, the direction I'm going with the 1st 2 pick is replacing these 2 guys. Those 2 guys played the biggest roles for our beloved Bears who have yet to be replaced. You can say we replaced Izzy with Turk Mcbribe and replaced DJ Moore with Hayden/Bowman but I believe we could still use an upgrade over those guys. Mcbride wasn't able to find that much time playing for the terrible Saints D, Hayden ranked in the bottom half of free agent CBs according to PFF, and Bowman was relegated to almost strictly ST work.

I'm really leaning towards Trufant in the 1st, I think he would offer the most value to the Bears next year and in the future. Trufant would potentially allow the Bears to move Tillman to a safety position in 2014 and he also gives us protection if, for whatever reason, the Bears can't resign Tillman/Jennings next offseason.

As for replacing Izzy? I really think Melton can do the rotating DE/DT thing Izzy did. He's got the speed and he knows how to get to the QB. I'd love to get a massive DT like John Jenkins or Jesse Williams who very well could drop to the 2nd round for us. Get one of those big run stuffers to put next to Paea vs a team like the Vikings to try and slow down ADP and the run game. A Peppers/Williams/Paea/Melton front 4 could be nasty against the run, and something I'd really love to see the Bears do.

Drafting Trufant can help you defend the Pack and drafting Williams/Jenkins can help you defend the Vikings.

At this point, 19 days before the draft, the direction I'm going with the 1st 2 pick is replacing these 2 guys. Those 2 guys played the biggest roles for our beloved Bears who have yet to be replaced. You can say we replaced Izzy with Turk Mcbribe and replaced DJ Moore with Hayden/Bowman but I believe we could still use an upgrade over those guys. Mcbride wasn't able to find that much time playing for the terrible Saints D, Hayden ranked in the bottom half of free agent CBs according to PFF, and Bowman was relegated to almost strictly ST work.

I'm really leaning towards Trufant in the 1st, I think he would offer the most value to the Bears next year and in the future. Trufant would potentially allow the Bears to move Tillman to a safety position in 2014 and he also gives us protection if, for whatever reason, the Bears can't resign Tillman/Jennings next offseason.

As for replacing Izzy? I really think Melton can do the rotating DE/DT thing Izzy did. He's got the speed and he knows how to get to the QB. I'd love to get a massive DT like John Jenkins or Jesse Williams who very well could drop to the 2nd round for us. Get one of those big run stuffers to put next to Paea vs a team like the Vikings to try and slow down ADP and the run game. A Peppers/Williams/Paea/Melton front 4 could be nasty against the run, and something I'd really love to see the Bears do.

Drafting Trufant can help you defend the Pack and drafting Williams/Jenkins can help you defend the Vikings.

Why would you take a guy you franchised at DT dollars and play him at DE which would make him even more difficult to sign to a deal because of the better dollars for DEs vs DTs? If you think we need to draft some interior DL depth I agree but whats wrong with a D-line of Wooten/Melton/Paea/Peppers? Right now the depth is SMC,McBride,Ozougwu and Whiteside at DE behind Peppers and Wooten. At DT Collins is the only depth at that position. This is a need at DT because of health and dollar concerns.

One of my wack mocks had the Bears taking Trufant. Ipersonally hope they can trade back a few spots and grab Rhodes and more picks.

Izzy will be a loss for sure, but it makes me believe now that Paea and McClellin are in seasons where they must perform. No one will be complaining about losing Idonije if McClellin has 7 sacks and Paea is better up the middle.

As for Moore, I find it hard to believe that's a big loss for the Bears. I believe they'll take a CB with one of their first 3 picks, even though that guy is probably not a future nickel. He'll compete with Hayden for the nickel spot in 2013. If he wins, he plays. If not, he plays if Hayden, Jennings or Tillman get hurt. If he shows promise, they might think about releasing Tillman after next year?

DJ barely played last year, it wont take much to replace that contribution, and Izzy still could be coming our way. Having said that we will be drafting a CB and DT somewhere in the draft, but it sure doesnt have to be a priority in replacing these guys. early.

Why would you take a guy you franchised at DT dollars and play him at DE which would make him even more difficult to sign to a deal because of the better dollars for DEs vs DTs? If you think we need to draft some interior DL depth I agree but whats wrong with a D-line of Wooten/Melton/Paea/Peppers? Right now the depth is SMC,McBride,Ozougwu and Whiteside at DE behind Peppers and Wooten. At DT Collins is the only depth at that position. This is a need at DT because of health and dollar concerns.

One of my wack mocks had the Bears taking Trufant. Ipersonally hope they can trade back a few spots and grab Rhodes and more picks.

I'm not saying move Melton to DE permanently, I'm just saying using him there situationally against the run. Melton was not very good at defending the run. A combo of Williams/Jenkins and Paea would be fantastic vs the run, while I do believe Melton on the outside can still look pretty good.

I think the good GMs try to take the best player available rather than using the draft to fill holes.

It's not as if there is equal talent available at all positions, so if you use position to make your selection, odds are you didn't take the most talent you could have.

Emery has put us into a position where we can take literally ANY position. GREAT.

The discussion here about what position to fill sounds like Angelo think.

Izzy will be a loss for sure, but it makes me believe now that Paea and McClellin are in seasons where they must perform. No one will be complaining about losing Idonije if McClellin has 7 sacks and Paea is better up the middle.

As for Moore, I find it hard to believe that's a big loss for the Bears. I believe they'll take a CB with one of their first 3 picks, even though that guy is probably not a future nickel. He'll compete with Hayden for the nickel spot in 2013. If he wins, he plays. If not, he plays if Hayden, Jennings or Tillman get hurt. If he shows promise, they might think about releasing Tillman after next year?

I believe both Tillman and Jennings are free agents next season. I agree with the rest of what you said. Trufant has 4.3 speed to keep up with slot WRs but he projects to be on the outside in the future making Tillman expendable/moveable.

DJ barely played last year, it wont take much to replace that contribution, and Izzy still could be coming our way. Having said that we will be drafting a CB and DT somewhere in the draft, but it sure doesnt have to be a priority in replacing these guys. early.

Was Moore or Hayden the nickel last year? I don't recall. I know they both played 300+ snaps last year and Moore rated out much better than Hayden.

I think the good GMs try to take the best player available rather than using the draft to fill holes.

It's not as if there is equal talent available at all positions, so if you use position to make your selection, odds are you didn't take the most talent you could have.

Emery has put us into a position where we can take literally ANY position. GREAT.

Trufant wouldn't be a reach and Williams or Jenkins would give them great value at #50. You get BPA at needs.

I'd love to see Trufant/Williams/Schwenke as our first 3 picks. They all provide great value.

Trufant wouldn't be a reach and Williams or Jenkins would give them great value at #50. You get BPA at needs.

I'd love to see Trufant/Williams/Schwenke as our first 3 picks. They all provide great value.

no clue how that just dub posted

Why are you 100% certain we won't resign Izzy? He recorded 7 sacks last year so I'm guessing he wants paid. We previously stated we want to sign him back and he's still available. Turk McBride is a definite downgrade and Izzy is flexible. I see your point since we only have 3 DT's on the roster.

Since DJ Moore wasn't a factor, he's not a concern.

In both cases it's a matter of need. Yes, we want to take the best player available, but chances are, at #20 we have 5 guys ranked close to equal. When in doubt, you pick the one of the five your team neeeds the most.

Why are you 100% certain we won't resign Izzy? He recorded 7 sacks last year so I'm guessing he wants paid. We previously stated we want to sign him back and he's still available. Turk McBride is a definite downgrade and Izzy is flexible. I see your point since we only have 3 DT's on the roster.

Since DJ Moore wasn't a factor, he's not a concern.

In both cases it's a matter of need. Yes, we want to take the best player available, but chances are, at #20 we have 5 guys ranked close to equal. When in doubt, you pick the one of the five your team neeeds the most.

Not so sure we have the money to resign Izzy. The latest I've heard about the cap number was ~3M which is what's needed for the draft. I suppose they can release someone after the draft that would give them more money to sign him though.

Still waitiing to hear who our nickelback was last year Moore or Hayden? I'm assuming with all the "DJ Moore wasn't a factor" talk that it was Hayden? All I know is PFF has Moore graded positively while Hayden is graded negatively so one would have to assume Moore was the NB.

Not so sure we have the money to resign Izzy. The latest I've heard about the cap number was ~3M which is what's needed for the draft. I suppose they can release someone after the draft that would give them more money to sign him though.

Still waitiing to hear who our nickelback was last year Moore or Hayden? I'm assuming with all the "DJ Moore wasn't a factor" talk that it was Hayden? All I know is PFF has Moore graded positively while Hayden is graded negatively so one would have to assume Moore was the NB.

Moore and Hayden both played nickel.....but you guys are forgetting that we signed Lewis when we knew Moore was not going to be back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=gOoVlprtmlo

If we bring back Izzy, it will be for a minimum contract and that will no problem fitting that in somewhere. Moore started the year at NB. and lost his job to Hayden. The Bears decided on Hayden instead of Moore, so you and Carolina may be the only ones that saw great talent in Moore.

Everytime I hear the cap number it changes. There's always money to move around. For example, Hester is due 2.9 million. Not sure what the cap hit would be, but he's a bad WR and last year he was a mediocre return man.

D.J. Moore was injured, and made some comments to the media that were not favorable. (I'm thinking he criticized the offense or Cutler). He was done with the Bears after that.

Everytime I hear the cap number it changes. There's always money to move around. For example, Hester is due 2.9 million. Not sure what the cap hit would be, but he's a bad WR and last year he was a mediocre return man.

D.J. Moore was injured, and made some comments to the media that were not favorable. (I'm thinking he criticized the offense or Cutler). He was done with the Bears after that.

Yeah I kinda got that same feeling after openly questioning cutler. U just don't do that by using the media. U have to keep that stuff in locker room

Moore and Hayden both played nickel.....but you guys are forgetting that we signed Lewis when we knew Moore was not going to be back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=gOoVlprtmlo

Lequan Lewis won't be anywhere near the nickel if you ask me.

If we bring back Izzy, it will be for a minimum contract and that will no problem fitting that in somewhere. Moore started the year at NB. and lost his job to Hayden. The Bears decided on Hayden instead of Moore, so you and Carolina may be the only ones that saw great talent in Moore.

After further investigation of the situation bradjock brought up I think the decision of Hayden over Moore was Moore (pun intended) about his comments on Cutler vs the talent level. PFF also agrees but lets not get into that discussion again.

Ya, he made some very unfavorable comments about Cutler which is never any good.

I'm on board with the whole cutting Hester for Izzy thing though. For it not to have happened already though tells me they may be looking at a guy in the draft.

Lequan Lewis won't be anywhere near the nickel if you ask me.

After further investigation of the situation bradjock brought up I think the decision of Hayden over Moore was Moore (pun intended) about his comments on Cutler vs the talent level. PFF also agrees but lets not get into that discussion again.

Ya, he made some very unfavorable comments about Cutler which is never any good.

I'm on board with the whole cutting Hester for Izzy thing though. For it not to have happened already though tells me they may be looking at a guy in the draft.

As you said I think they keep Hester around until after the draft and if we get somebody to take his spot as a KR,PR he will be gone. I think PFF is a good tool to use in judging players, but it is not a Bible for players values as you can see by what teams have did in FAgency. Almost every discussion you have uses PFF as the main source. As you have seen from the Bushrod signing, the Bears view him as a better player than Webb, even though they are close according to PFF. Did we pay him to much, of course we did, but when you fill needs in FAgency you usually have to over pay. I think Bushrod will not be great at the position but above average and consistent. His OL coach is now here,and we would have never did that if he didnt think he could fix some of the negatives he brings with him. He was all pro for two years, they dont give those cudos out to just anybody. He was the starting LT on one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL the last 4 years that he started. He isnt perfect but you will see him to be a huge upgrade over Webb. I hope Webb makes in on the RT spot, but have my doubts because he is soft.

Not worried about Moore. Izzy was the only one productive last year. At some point you have to replace your veterans with youth. What about Corey Wooten? I think he's ready. Plus, we have to get McClellin on the field more. If they can get Izzy cheap, fine. If not, we have options.

So now we want guys replacing mediocre players on the Bears because "they can't be worse?" I want clear cut upgrades, not Lequan Lewis.

So how do YOU know he is not and upgrade over Moore?? Lewis is bigger,taller fastest and also plays special teams, and plays with and attitude.

Moore 5'9 180 4.5 40, played CB/WR/ST in college

Lewis 5'11 190 4.2 40, CB/WR/ST in college

So i would say about even if Lewis learns the system and Moore was not a starter but played nickel and this will be the role for Lewis as well....we are not asking him to be a starter but maybe compete with Hayden for the job

Well he cant be any worse than Moore who was sat on the bench and lost his job to Hayden.

Yes, he can. Moore was benched shortly after his comments about Jay, I don't think it was nothing more than that. People tend to forget he had 8 picks in the 2 years prior to his comments and supplemental benching. Those 8 picks tied him with Tillman, who played more snaps and 3 more games, for the most over that time period. Moore was a playmaker.

This is Lewis 6th team in 3 years...He'll be no where near the nickle position, right now he's probably the #5 CB....He can do some work in the return game though. i kinda expected Hester to be cut after his signing but that hasn't happened so I kinda doubt it will.

So how do YOU know he is not and upgrade over Moore?? Lewis is bigger,taller fastest and also plays special teams, and plays with and attitude.

Moore 5'9 180 4.5 40, played CB/WR/ST in college

Lewis 5'11 190 4.2 40, CB/WR/ST in college

So i would say about even if Lewis learns the system and Moore was not a starter but played nickel and this will be the role for Lewis as well....we are not asking him to be a starter but maybe compete with Hayden for the job

So, if I have this right- Lewis is taller, faster, heavier, and played the same positions IN COLLEGE that Moore did so he's a better football player?

I think I know he's not an upgrade because he went undrafted in 2011. There's nothing wrong with that, but he's been on SIX (6) teams since. That's a lot of teams in 2 years. If he was an upgrade, why hasn't he stuck on a team? He has played in EIGHT career games. You found a highlight video of a game he had ONE time against Tampa Bay and now I'm supposed to think he's good? You've been tooting this guy's horn since February 11. Give it up. He'll be lucky to see the field one time this year on defense.

So, if I have this right- Lewis is taller, faster, heavier, and played the same positions IN COLLEGE that Moore did so he's a better football player?

I think I know he's not an upgrade because he went undrafted in 2011. There's nothing wrong with that, but he's been on SIX (6) teams since. That's a lot of teams in 2 years. If he was an upgrade, why hasn't he stuck on a team? He has played in EIGHT career games. You found a highlight video of a game he had ONE time against Tampa Bay and now I'm supposed to think he's good? You've been tooting this guy's horn since February 11. Give it up. He'll be lucky to see the field one time this year on defense.

I will say this I never meanr to say he was an upgrade but just a replacement for Moore