Rotoworld ranks our Skill position players

scs787

I recently spoke to a CFL executive about Trestman's offense, and he described it as aggressive in the passing game with a tendency to go 15-18 straight plays without a rushing attempt. Assuming Trestman stays true to his CFL principles in the NFL -- and all indications are he will -- passing volume is going to be at an all-time high in the Windy City.

That's scary. For Cutler's health.

I recently spoke to a CFL executive about Trestman's offense, and he described it as aggressive in the passing game with a tendency to go 15-18 straight plays without a rushing attempt. Assuming Trestman stays true to his CFL principles in the NFL -- and all indications are he will -- passing volume is going to be at an all-time high in the Windy City.

I knew you'd say something along these lines. I know you won't agree with it and will bring up past statements such as the one I'm about to make but I really think the OL will do a lot better this year even as is. Utilizing more receivers (meaning less pass rushers) and using quicker routes will work wonders for the line IMO.

Meh.. This isn't Mike Martz's 7 step drop offense anymore. I think Trestman knows the value in protecting the quarterback. West Coast offenses utilize more 3-5 step drops that are designed to get the ball out quicker, thus making it more difficult to reach the quarterback. I feel much more confident now than I've ever felt before, thanks to the addition of Aaron Kromer and an offensive minded HC. I remember when Trestman got hired they threw out a stat from his first season in the CFL and his team improved dramatically in pass protection from the year before, prior to his hiring.

When Trestman went to Canada his team went from worst in the league is sacks to 3rd best. His shceme will help his QB as long as the improvements we have made and still to make on the OLne.

I knew you'd say something along these lines. I know you won't agree with it and will bring up past statements such as the one I'm about to make but I really think the OL will do a lot better this year even as is. Utilizing more receivers (meaning less pass rushers) and using quicker routes will work wonders for the line IMO.

And every year for the past 6 or so I've said the same thing when an eternal optimist like yourself says what you have said.

I hope you're right.

If you are right in 2013, it will be the first time I have been wrong about the OL in that same time period. You can understand why I won't hold my breath waiting on OL success until it's given a serious look and upgraded significantly.

Meh.. This isn't Mike Martz's 7 step drop offense anymore. I think Trestman knows the value in protecting the quarterback. West Coast offenses utilize more 3-5 step drops that are designed to get the ball out quicker, thus making it more difficult to reach the quarterback. I feel much more confident now than I've ever felt before, thanks to the addition of Aaron Kromer and an offensive minded HC. I remember when Trestman got hired they threw out a stat from his first season in the CFL and his team improved dramatically in pass protection from the year before, prior to his hiring.

Or Ron Turner, or Mike Tice. The fact remains, Cutler has been destroyed every year he's been in Chicago. Like I just replied to scs...I hope you're right.

Agreed.

If anyone recalls there were games where Gannon would throw 40 plus times under Trestman/Callahan...but the ball was out QUICK. That Raiders team would dominate time of possession just about every game they played without running the ball much.

Whether or not JC6 can emulate this remains to be seen as his mechanics may never be the same after getting crushed the past four years....which has really hurt his accuracy 10 yards and in IMO.

I'm still excited about the possibility, but wouldn't be shocked if the Bears took a QB in RD2 at all. I'd hate it if they did, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Trestman wanted to groom his own guy should Cutler not pan out and be gone next year.