Bears sign Sedrick Ellis (DT)

balta1701-A

Can anyone find out if he was largely double teamed the last few years?? Something tells me he was....That won't be the case here if he gets lined up with Pep and Mel.

It has also been said that he's more of a 3 tech of which he didn't play much of there. Don't know that for fact just going off what I've heard

It has also been said that he's more of a 3 tech of which he didn't play much of there. Don't know that for fact just going off what I've heard

I think although we are essentially playing the same defense, there will be some tweaks along the way. Kinda of hard to evaluate there moves until we see the NEW old defense. He is basically the same size as Paea and has experience so I think he will able to play either spot for us.

I think although we are essentially playing the same defense, there will be some tweaks along the way. Kinda of hard to evaluate there moves until we see the NEW old defense. He is basically the same size as Paea and has experience so I think he will able to play either spot for us.

I think it will be same D except a more aggressive one

I think it will be same D except a more aggressive one

IIRC the Bears have actually tried to be "More aggressive" before, in years like 2008-2009 they sent more "Extra" pass rushers after the QB tahn any other defense in the league. It didn't work at all, but they've tried that.

Rather than being more "aggressive", I'm hoping they're more "athletic". The retooled LB corps should, hopefully, give them a chance to cover more ground than they did last year in the middle of the field, and they have the horses to maintain or even improve their pass rush (if SMC could play like a first round pick next year that'd be great).

IIRC the Bears have actually tried to be "More aggressive" before, in years like 2008-2009 they sent more "Extra" pass rushers after the QB tahn any other defense in the league. It didn't work at all, but they've tried that.

Rather than being more "aggressive", I'm hoping they're more "athletic". The retooled LB corps should, hopefully, give them a chance to cover more ground than they did last year in the middle of the field, and they have the horses to maintain or even improve their pass rush (if SMC could play like a first round pick next year that'd be great).

Unfortunately I think them being in the first year of a new scheme is going to mean they'll be out of position a lot, particularly early in the season. I don't think it's going out on a limb to say this defense will be worse than last years. I hope I'm wrong.

I think you're right about the D losing something. It's bound to happen. And even under Smith, we've all pretty much predicted that it would start losing a step due to age.

But, the key is the O should start to take off. I imagine not early on, but sometime in the season. The hope is the the gains on O will significantly outweigh the losses on D.

Unfortunately I think them being in the first year of a new scheme is going to mean they'll be out of position a lot, particularly early in the season. I don't think it's going out on a limb to say this defense will be worse than last years. I hope I'm wrong.

I think you're right about the D losing something. It's bound to happen. And even under Smith, we've all pretty much predicted that it would start losing a step due to age.

But, the key is the O should start to take off. I imagine not early on, but sometime in the season. The hope is the the gains on O will significantly outweigh the losses on D.

There are 3 guys on the D who could legitimately be expected to lose something because of Age, Peanut, Briggs, and Peppers. Moore probably also won't put up those INT numbers again.

But there's plenty of room for improvement as well. The LB corps ought to be seriously upgraded in the non-Briggs spots, and they might well be able to keep Briggs fresher and healthier as well. The D-Line hasn't lost anyone other than Izzy, and with this signing, they have a chance to be stronger, particularly if McClellan can step up.

And in the secondary, they have a group of young safeties who might well be expected to legitimately get better next year as well.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if you're right and the talent pool is better than last year, it still takes time to learn the system, get used to new teammates, etc.

If the coaches can't get the players ready to go by game 1...that is an actual failure by the coaches. I'd buy that excuse in a lockout shortened season. This roster has been effectively together since March; they'll have 6 months before the first game (4 months for the rookies). If they need more practice to learn the playbook, then they should practice more.

If the coaches can't get the players ready to go by game 1...that is an actual failure by the coaches. I'd buy that excuse in a lockout shortened season. This roster has been effectively together since March; they'll have 6 months before the first game (4 months for the rookies). If they need more practice to learn the playbook, then they should practice more.

I suppose. I've never played in the NFL. But I've also heard many great players say that it takes a lot of time, sometimes more than a year, to gel and learn a system...to the point that I'd say it's considered conventional wisdom that it's true. I guess you could call it a coaching "failure" anyway, but it is what it is, regardless of what you call it.

Thing is we're supposed to be running a very similar defense so I don't there will be a lot to take in. If they were going from a tampa 2 to say a 3-4 then things might take a bit longer to gel.

Correct. The changes we'll see is a little more press coverage from our CB's, which can have positive and negative results. Positive will be less underneath stuff will be availible. Negative will be that our safeties will be depended on more to cover the holes that cover 2 provides. Regardless, of anything else, we will be able to go back to playing Lovie ball anytime we want if that's where the success is. I'm not worried about the D as much as I am the offense gelling in time.(especially the OL)

Can anyone post the article from the trib about Ellis? I've apparently reached my 5 article limit there.

It looks like Ellis wasn't allowed to do what he does best in NOLA and that's get after the QB.

There were no trumpets or bright lights welcoming the seventh pick of the 2008 draft when he unassumingly walked out to minicamp practice wearing a gray, long-sleeved T-shirt Wednesday.

The expectations for Sedrick Ellis with the Bears are not what they were with the Saints.

But even after five somewhat disappointing seasons in New Orleans, Ellis' promise has not yet reached the end of its shelf life.

Dan Pompei

Dan Pompei.

Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Related

Bennett's quest: Be among league's bestBennett's quest: Be among league's best

Photo gallery: Bears minicampPhoto gallery: Bears minicamp

Bears turning up pressure on PodleshBears turning up pressure on Podlesh

Cutler lauds Trestman's 'different' approach to playersCutler lauds Trestman's 'different' approach to players

Bears in tight spot with salary capBears in tight spot with salary cap

Maps

Halas Hall, Washington Road, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA

Soldier FIELD, 1410 Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, IL 60605, USA

Ads by Google

There is hope at Halas Hall that the 28-year-old will be a productive player at the very least, and at best something closer to the player he was projected to be when he came out of USC.

The reason for the hope is Ellis fits the Bears defense the way your charger fits your cell phone.

"They allow their guys to do what defensive linemen are supposed to do, and that's rush the passer and get sacks and put pressure on the quarterback while playing the run on the way," he said. "I haven't had the chance to do that the last couple of years, so I'm excited about that."

In his first three seasons with the Saints, Ellis progressed and produced at a modest pace. In 2010, he had three sacks in his first three games, and he generated some early Pro Bowl buzz. He finished with just six.

The Saints defense changed in 2011 from an upfield scheme to more of a read-and-react, two-gap scheme, and Ellis didn't change enough with it.

Instead of a penetrator, Ellis was expected to be a stuffer. He put on weight, getting up to about 320 pounds.

At USC, Ellis is a bit of a legend because he was so strong the school had to purchase 200-pound dumbbells for him to do incline presses. But he never played with that kind of strength.

Ellis, who scouts say always relied on quickness and tended to play high, struggled with the Saints' new assignments. His athleticism — which was his best attribute — was minimized. The situation discouraged him.

"(Those) schemes didn't quite suit my talents and that showed in production," he said.

Ellis now carries 310 pounds on his 6-foot, 1-inch frame and plans to drop another 10 pounds or so before training camp.

"He can excel in a penetrating, up-the-field, attacking defense," Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said.

With the Bears, Ellis probably will be one of the wave tackles coming off the bench behind starters Henry Melton and Stephen Paea. After the offseason losses of Israel Idonije, Matt Toeaina and Amobi Okoye, the team was lacking depth at the position. So Ellis is a welcome addition.

He will need to play both three technique and nose tackle, but the Bears were attracted to him because of his ability to rush the passer as a three technique.

If he can do that well, Ellis will spend most of his time at that position.

As a result, Ellis said he is "almost guaranteeing" his production will spike.

"A lot of times in the NFL it's not only about how talented you are, but the scheme you play in, the coaches you have, things like that," he said. "It all plays together. Players have to match coaches and schemes."

Motivation should not be an issue for Ellis. He is on a one-year contract, so if he wants another chance at big money, he will have to earn it.

He was passed over during the free-spending phase of free agency, and lasted on the market for nearly three months. And his contract is believed to be worth only a little more than the NFL minimum.

None of that means Ellis can't have significant value to the Bears though.

"It's the right place and right time for him," Tucker said

I ACTUALLY THINK THIS SIGNING COULD BE AS SIGNIFICANT AS BENNETT AND BUSHROD WAS.I think he will excel in our scheme and end up being my best DT.

I ACTUALLY THINK THIS SIGNING COULD BE AS SIGNIFICANT AS BENNETT AND BUSHROD WAS.I think he will excel in our scheme and end up being my best DT.

Thanks Stinger, the article is exactly what I thought it was.

I'm not sure about him being the best DT, Henry Melton is damn good, but I can certainly see hm being an upgrade over Izzy inside. And I was a big Izzy fan too.

Thanks Stinger, the article is exactly what I thought it was.

I'm not sure about him being the best DT, Henry Melton is damn good, but I can certainly see hm being an upgrade over Izzy inside. And I was a big Izzy fan too.

I think Melton is good as a pass rusher but leaves something to be desired as a run stopper. I made mystatement on the fact I think Ellis can be more of a complete DT.