Same of Same Old

Uncle Buck

I give you a ton of credit for being the voice of reason during a half of football that left most of us disappointed.

Thanks. This is just the first year in a while I have had high expectations for the bears. I was looking at little things instead of the overall product, and I liked what I saw. Cincy just played some great Defense and utilized their weapons in the first half. I'm usually the negative guy most years lol.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow is this a bunch of garbage

Amen. You guys are all so pathetic. This is evidence that Bears fans are the biggest meatheads in football. It makes me want to never come back to this site.

Cutler throws a pick? He sucks. A timeout's wasted? Fire Trestman. Marshall gets targeted? What else is new. They're losing at half? They're going to have a top 5 pick.

They just beat a good Cincinnati team and you would've thought they just lost to Jacksonville.

He spread the ball over the field and looked good. Sounds to me like you are bitching to bitch. Really liked the offensive game plan. Against a defense like Cutler, I'm glad we didn't go pass happy or crazy. Played it conservative and opened things up when need be in the 2nd half. Finished the game strong and Cutler played well. Really had one bad pass (the interception) but had good command of the offense. Defense gave up some big plays against AJ Green but were in a tough position with Tillman going in and out.

Nope not bitching to bitch, it was not a positive 1st half in my opinion

The first game of the season of course it's some of the same. Two turn overs and a lot of bend but don't break D. Things don't change that much from one season to the next, even with all new coaches. But one thing that has changed. Not one sack against one of the best front 7's. Yea, not one sack. And that is with 80 percent of the O. line changed from last year. And two GD rookies on the right side. That is not same old same old by anyones stretch! Not all because of the line but the fact that they did not get one sack, first game of the season, all new O. line with two rookies. That alone should be enough to raise hell!

reading this thread, a better thread title would be "overreaction theater"

We have to keep things in perspective here. This game had some good things, and some bad things.

The bad

Tackling... we did a poor job of wrapping up, making open field stops, and taking bad angles. I found myself yelling at the screen begging them to tackle someone. It was frustrating to watch over and over short completions that should have been tackled immediately turn into 10-15 yard gains for first downs. Ball carriers breaking arm tackles. Even Briggs who should know better thinking he can just hit someone to the ground by leaving his feet on one play.

Getting burned repeatedly by AJ Green and Eifert. Sans Eifert teams have been getting torched by Green since he came in. He has sick talent and hands. Look at the diving catches he made. He's their primary offensive weapon for a reason. I've watched Eifert play at ND and he is one tough SOB to bring down with great hands. Point is we weren't being burned or beaten by scrubs Green is a stud and Eifert is going to develop into one. And by the way Dalton is no slouch either. The last few years the Bengals have been doing a superb job at building an excellent football team on both sides of the ball.

The pick, while I haven't gone back and re-watched it. It's clear there was a miscommunication there whether it's Jay's fault or Bushes doesn't matter they weren't on the same page on that play.

Time outs - First half timeout usage was bad no question there were things that forced us to burn timeouts particularly the two quick ones in the first quarter. Installing a new offense and executing it early in the season had it's hickups.

The good

No sacks.... seriously against that front 7 is quite a feat. And with 4 brand new O-Lineman (two of which are rookies). Last years line would have gotten Jay killed or carted off against these guys. It's been a Long time (pun intended :P) since I've actually been optimistic about our Line going forward. As they gel, this could become a strength of our team. This after years of watching a revolving door of scrubs. I do think that the work Trestman has done with Jay is helping the line as well as he is not holding onto the ball like he has in the past. Getting the ball out quicker = less time for the linemen to hold their blocks.

I'll bring up the talking and the D here as I believe these are correctable issues we saw today. While it was maddening to watch repeated missed tackles, often times we had defenders in the right place to make the play but they just didn't finish the play. If we wrap up, take better closing angles, and play more fundamentally sound, their offense would have been much less effective, outside of a few big plays to Green (which will happen to a lot of good teams). I'm sure Tucker is not pleased by this and it will be a point of emphasis. We as fans expect better and so do the players and coaches.

The time out thing I don't think will be an ongoing issue. This week 1 in a new offense there will be hickups, and bumps in the road. It's one thing to install an offense in training camp, and preseason, it's another thing to execute when the games count and you are going against a top tier D. This isn't the Bungles of 3-4 years ago, this is a damn good Bengals team we faced today, a team that some are talking about them making a deep playoff push this year. Things on offense were a little up and down at first but I like that we came out in the second half and saw improvement, and adjustments that included a better usage of TO's in the second half. Honestly I would rather see us burn a TO than run a play with confusion.. And how about a TE that actually catches the ball? That was great hands on that TD to maintain control. As sloppy as the first half looked Jay finished the day 21/33, 242, 2TD 1 INT and a 93.2 QB Rating. 4 Bears had no less than 3 receptions.

Halftime adjustments. We gave up 245 yards in the first half, in the second we held them to under 100 yards, first half we had less than 100 in the second we had 230 yards. They had 11 first downs in the first half and 7 in the second, we had 5 in the first and 12 in the second. The Players and coaches didn't panic and kept fighting even when we went down by 11. They stayed focused and we knocked off a very good Benglals team.

After week 1 - Bears and Lions are 1-0, GB and Minny are 0-1.

Love reading the in-game thread after the game. It's great to see the up and down emotions (mine mood swings were just as up and down) then we get the posts after the win saying "what the hell were you all worried about?" :lol:

I can't recall too many games where we were dominated in the first half on both sides of the ball and responded like that in the second half on both sides of the ball. The D has done it in recent seasons for sure, but our offense?

Well said.

And let's be honest...during a game is every poster supposed to as collected and deliberate as Trestman?

After the fact, I think that can be expected, but during the game, over-reaction should be more than expected.

Great win!

reading this thread, a better thread title would be "overreaction theater"

We have to keep things in perspective here. This game had some good things, and some bad things.

The bad

Tackling... we did a poor job of wrapping up, making open field stops, and taking bad angles. I found myself yelling at the screen begging them to tackle someone. It was frustrating to watch over and over short completions that should have been tackled immediately turn into 10-15 yard gains for first downs. Ball carriers breaking arm tackles. Even Briggs who should know better thinking he can just hit someone to the ground by leaving his feet on one play.

Getting burned repeatedly by AJ Green and Eifert. Sans Eifert teams have been getting torched by Green since he came in. He has sick talent and hands. Look at the diving catches he made. He's their primary offensive weapon for a reason. I've watched Eifert play at ND and he is one tough SOB to bring down with great hands. Point is we weren't being burned or beaten by scrubs Green is a stud and Eifert is going to develop into one. And by the way Dalton is no slouch either. The last few years the Bengals have been doing a superb job at building an excellent football team on both sides of the ball.

The pick, while I haven't gone back and re-watched it. It's clear there was a miscommunication there whether it's Jay's fault or Bushes doesn't matter they weren't on the same page on that play.

Time outs - First half timeout usage was bad no question there were things that forced us to burn timeouts particularly the two quick ones in the first quarter. Installing a new offense and executing it early in the season had it's hickups.

The good

No sacks.... seriously against that front 7 is quite a feat. And with 4 brand new O-Lineman (two of which are rookies). Last years line would have gotten Jay killed or carted off against these guys. It's been a Long time (pun intended :P) since I've actually been optimistic about our Line going forward. As they gel, this could become a strength of our team. This after years of watching a revolving door of scrubs. I do think that the work Trestman has done with Jay is helping the line as well as he is not holding onto the ball like he has in the past. Getting the ball out quicker = less time for the linemen to hold their blocks.

I'll bring up the talking and the D here as I believe these are correctable issues we saw today. While it was maddening to watch repeated missed tackles, often times we had defenders in the right place to make the play but they just didn't finish the play. If we wrap up, take better closing angles, and play more fundamentally sound, their offense would have been much less effective, outside of a few big plays to Green (which will happen to a lot of good teams). I'm sure Tucker is not pleased by this and it will be a point of emphasis. We as fans expect better and so do the players and coaches.

The time out thing I don't think will be an ongoing issue. This week 1 in a new offense there will be hickups, and bumps in the road. It's one thing to install an offense in training camp, and preseason, it's another thing to execute when the games count and you are going against a top tier D. This isn't the Bungles of 3-4 years ago, this is a damn good Bengals team we faced today, a team that some are talking about them making a deep playoff push this year. Things on offense were a little up and down at first but I like that we came out in the second half and saw improvement, and adjustments that included a better usage of TO's in the second half. Honestly I would rather see us burn a TO than run a play with confusion.. And how about a TE that actually catches the ball? That was great hands on that TD to maintain control. As sloppy as the first half looked Jay finished the day 21/33, 242, 2TD 1 INT and a 93.2 QB Rating. 4 Bears had no less than 3 receptions.

Halftime adjustments. We gave up 245 yards in the first half, in the second we held them to under 100 yards, first half we had less than 100 in the second we had 230 yards. They had 11 first downs in the first half and 7 in the second, we had 5 in the first and 12 in the second. The Players and coaches didn't panic and kept fighting even when we went down by 11. They stayed focused and we knocked off a very good Benglals team.

After week 1 - Bears and Lions are 1-0, GB and Minny are 0-1.

Totally!

Love reading the in-game thread after the game. It's great to see the up and down emotions (mine mood swings were just as up and down) then we get the posts after the win saying "what the hell were you all worried about?" :lol:

I can't recall too many games where we were dominated in the first half on both sides of the ball and responded like that in the second half on both sides of the ball. The D has done it in recent seasons for sure, but our offense?

C'mon Brian...one should expect fans to wear their emotions on their sleeves during game-time. Not always correct, but almost always funny after the fact.

I swear if this site had a fine of $.05 every time someone threatened to leave over something or another we could solve the national debt!

Please stick around...your comments are valued.

Amen. You guys are all so pathetic. This is evidence that Bears fans are the biggest meatheads in football. It makes me want to never come back to this site.

Cutler throws a pick? He sucks. A timeout's wasted? Fire Trestman. Marshall gets targeted? What else is new. They're losing at half? They're going to have a top 5 pick.

They just beat a good Cincinnati team and you would've thought they just lost to Jacksonville.

C'mon Brian...one should expect fans to wear their emotions on their sleeves during game-time. Not always correct, but almost always funny after the fact.

I swear if this site had a fine of $.05 every time someone threatened to leave over something or another we could solve the national debt!

Please stick around...your comments are valued.

Ha. I expect that was HIM wearing his emotions on his sleeve. He ain't goin' nowhere.

PS. I agree with you. At halftime I posted 4 negative observations. All were spot on and all were addressed in the second half. Obviously there was a touch of emotion in my posting those thoughts but equally as obvious was that the team itself agreed with the evaluation and made some changes. Per what I heard in the post game interviews, there weren't game plan changes so much as better execution. Pads lower, etc. All I know is it seemed we got a little more pressure on Dalton, we didn't drop as many balls, etc. Whatever Trestman said at half time and whatever changes they made in play calling due to being more comfortable that the rookies could get it done, made a big difference and changed the outcome of the game.

One can't read a live-game thread post-game and expect to understand or judge.

It's just like being at a game. When bad things happen, negativity comes out. When good things happen, cheers. Reading everything post-game makes no sense. Particularly when the play difference between halves is so different.

One can't read a live-game thread post-game and expect to understand or judge.

It's just like being at a game. When bad things happen, negativity comes out. When good things happen, cheers. Reading everything post-game makes no sense. Particularly when the play difference between halves is so different.

That's why I usually don't post during the game. 1) I'm amped, 2) drinking. Not the time to be evaluating anything...