Not all some of the same old!

mondonico

The first game of the season of course it's some of the same. Two turn overs and a lot of bend but don't break D. Things don't always change that much from one season to the next, even with all new coaches. But one thing that did change. Not one sack against one of the best front 7's. Yea, not one sack. And with 80 percent of the O. line changed from last year. And two GD rookies on the right side. That is not the same old same old by anyones stretch! Not just because of the Oline. But the fact that they did not get one sack, first game of the season, five out of six O.L. changed, with two rookies as starters. That alone should be enough to raise hell!

Absolutely agree, the defence was similar, I would like to see a more wrapping up and aggression but the CB's were huge, the safeties solid, and they managed to keep a very sharp Cinci QB with excellent WR's within striking distance.

If everyone stays healthy the O line looks like it will be a real strength; two great rookies with solid guys all around them.

I hope Cutler continues to improve and gel with the new system and Jeffery as a more and more integral part of the passing game, but who can complain with the game as the first under a new coach against a strong and hungry Cinci team?

Lots to look forward to this year!

Absolutely agree, the defence was similar, I would like to see a more wrapping up and aggression but the CB's were huge, the safeties solid, and they managed to keep a very sharp Cinci QB with excellent WR's within striking distance.

If everyone stays healthy the O line looks like it will be a real strength; two great rookies with solid guys all around them.

I hope Cutler continues to improve and gel with the new system and Jeffery as a more and more integral part of the passing game, but who can complain with the game as the first under a new coach against a strong and hungry Cinci team?

Since Cutler has gotten here, were are 5-22 in games we were losing after 3 quarters, but today were 1-0 with Trestman as coach, cudos to a new coach.

I expected the team to fold after we were down by 11 instead they responded to the call and fought back to win the game late and in a decisive way (controlling the last drive). We were the better coached team on the field given how we adjusted to what they were doing and the effective execution of a new offense and that is a very good sign.

The D mistakes were troubling.

I've never seen Briggs whiff so many times.

And I'd have liked to ahve seen more pressure fromt he front 4. But, there's room for improvement!

Agreed. We appeared far more disciplined. I think credit goes to Trestman for that.

I expected the team to fold after we were down by 11 instead they responded to the call and fought back to win the game late and in a decisive way (controlling the last drive). We were the better coached team on the field given how we adjusted to what they were doing and the effective execution of a new offense and that is a very good sign.

The first game of the season of course it's some of the same. Two turn overs and a lot of bend but don't break D. Things don't always change that much from one season to the next, even with all new coaches.

to me i did see some change and in my opinion for the better. our corners were playing up on the LOS a hell of a lot more than any of lovies 10 yard cushion and back pedal at the snap. that in itself is going to pay dividends in the long run in my opinion. i have been waiting for that for 10 years.

to me i did see some change and in my opinion for the better. our corners were playing up on the LOS a hell of a lot more than any of lovies 10 yard cushion and back pedal at the snap. that in itself is going to pay dividends in the long run in my opinion. i have been waiting for that for 10 years.

Still couldn't seem to get a stop on 3rd down for most of the game.

Still couldn't seem to get a stop on 3rd down for most of the game.

you are right. but... the DB's did a 'reasonable' job considering that there was no pass rush at all against some of the best receivers in the nfl.

to me, the pass rush is a serious concern. we will have to see what happens in that area from here on, but it's something to watch. if meltons game doesn't improve a lot this season, it may be a blessing we tagged him instead of a major cap hit contract for years.

you are right. but... the DB's did a 'reasonable' job considering that there was no pass rush at all against some of the best receivers in the nfl.

to me, the pass rush is a serious concern. we will have to see what happens in that area from here on, but it's something to watch. if meltons game doesn't improve a lot this season, it may be a blessing we tagged him instead of a major cap hit contract for years.

Especially since McClellan was actually sorta effective, it's hard to believe that D-Line won't perform a ton better in most of its games.

I do think the D line will improve and grow, maybe that is just hope but I would find it hard to believe the talent there does not look better than it did on Sunday.

Also, Cinci's overall effectiveness in the passing game had to be in large part down to the QB, who was on fire, and the all-pro WR who simply would not drop a pass and go get anything in reach.

We have a tough schedule coming up, having looked at it today we are going to be really tested and I hope we can improve and beat some of the very good teams we are going to have to face, ie the Packers, Ravens, Giants, and Redskins.