Looking at going to a game

BearFan2000

My Dad and I are talking about going to the Monday Night game Dec 9th we live near South Bend, IN normally we'd take the train but being a night game there wouldn't be any trains coming back here after. What are the best places to park, good places to eat (good deep dish), things to do in around the stadium, areas to avoid. I've heard really good things about Giordano's. If we go we'll both probably be taking Monday and Tues off work. Gates open at 4:30 I believe would like to get a good full game day experience. Neither of us are that familiar with Chicago.

First question, are you super-duper double-sure that the South Shore isn't running special trains that night? Like have you not just checked their website but also called them and asked about that date and said "the Bears are having a night game that night" on the phone call?

I'd be more than a little surprised if they didn't run a post-game train.

I did a check and there is a South Shore train running after the Bears game that night that makes a stop in Michigan City, special for the Bears game. You might want to check if there are other options that do go to South Bend but Michigan City is a really good option.

There is parking available at and around the stations in Michigan City, most spots free or quite cheap and your drive would be less than an hour from South Bend. It might be a slight bit slower than driving directly but leaving the parking garages after the Bears game is a mess, it took me at least a half hour just to get out of the garage from like the 2nd floor.

My Dad and I are talking about going to the Monday Night game Dec 9th we live near South Bend, IN normally we'd take the train but being a night game there wouldn't be any trains coming back here after. What are the best places to park, good places to eat (good deep dish), things to do in around the stadium, areas to avoid. I've heard really good things about Giordano's. If we go we'll both probably be taking Monday and Tues off work. Gates open at 4:30 I believe would like to get a good full game day experience. Neither of us are that familiar with Chicago.

I suggest Gino's East for deep dish, there is one right downtown. As far as parking your best bet is buying a parking pass in the south lot or if you can find a good deal Waldron Deck. These are the two closest lots.

Timothy O'Toole's is known as a Bears bar. It's in the Streeterville area where the pizza places are but you could also get some good pub food there. They have a free shuttle for Sunday games but you'd need to call them to find out if they were going to do it for a Monday night game. I'm not sure. Their website is http://www.timothyotooles.com/chicago. If you got a hotel room in the same area this would make more sense than if you plan on driving home that night. Just throwing it out there as an idea for you and/or anyone else thinking of coming in for a game in the future.

Get botht he thin and deep dish...both are unique. Maybe not he best in the city, but a really good fair representation of both.

I suggest Gino's East for deep dish, there is one right downtown. As far as parking your best bet is buying a parking pass in the south lot or if you can find a good deal Waldron Deck. These are the two closest lots.

Sunday should be a lost day after over-celebratin the win!

If you're planning on spending time in downtown, there are a ton of things to check out, eat & drink...

get an Italian Beef sandwich

get pizza, deep and thin, both are unique to Chicago. Geno's does both, so it's not a bad place to start.

get a Chicago hotdog, maybe even at Soldier

If you can, get a cheezborger at the Billy Goat Tavern made famous by Belushi from SNL...make sure to wash it down with a Schlitz on tap!

Go to Ditka's. If only to get the pot roast nachos and enjoy the environment. The food is actually very good. It's a very long walk from the game. But I've done it and it helps you sober up so you can re-start at Coach's!

If you are need need of a steakhouse go Gibson's or Chicago chop house. Chop house is more consistent and gives more of a Chicago vibe. But when Gibson's is on, they are excellent. However, they have been known to be off too often. Just don't settle for what you get if it's prepared poorly. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered rare steaks, only to get them medium. One night I had to send 2 back.

Sunday should be a lost day after over-celebratin the win!

If you're planning on spending time in downtown, there are a ton of things to check out, eat & drink...

get an Italian Beef sandwich

get pizza, deep and thin, both are unique to Chicago. Geno's does both, so it's not a bad place to start.

get a Chicago hotdog, maybe even at Soldier

If you can, get a cheezborger at the Billy Goat Tavern made famous by Belushi from SNL...make sure to wash it down with a Schlitz on tap!

Go to Ditka's. If only to get the pot roast nachos and enjoy the environment. The food is actually very good. It's a very long walk from the game. But I've done it and it helps you sober up so you can re-start at Coach's!

If you are need need of a steakhouse go Gibson's or Chicago chop house. Chop house is more consistent and gives more of a Chicago vibe. But when Gibson's is on, they are excellent. However, they have been known to be off too often. Just don't settle for what you get if it's prepared poorly. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered rare steaks, only to get them medium. One night I had to send 2 back.

Not sure where it is, but the place where they based the Saturday Night Live gigs with John Belushi, Billy Goats?, would be great to visit....Navy Pier is kind of cool as well....

I did a check and there is a South Shore train running after the Bears game that night that makes a stop in Michigan City, special for the Bears game. You might want to check if there are other options that do go to South Bend but Michigan City is a really good option.

There is parking available at and around the stations in Michigan City, most spots free or quite cheap and your drive would be less than an hour from South Bend. It might be a slight bit slower than driving directly but leaving the parking garages after the Bears game is a mess, it took me at least a half hour just to get out of the garage from like the 2nd floor.

Thanks for the info, I had only looked at the train schedules from South Bend to Chicago and Chicago to South Bend, Michigan City isn't that far away, I think both of us would prefer taking the train. I hadn't called yet but planned to, just to see if there were options. That would mean doing our exploring by foot, taxi, or public transpo. I would love to go to Ditka's especially considering that is the night they are having the ceremony to retire his number. Neither of us drink, so we'll probably skip the pubs but I do like the idea of Ditka's and/or Deep Dish/ and thin.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas hoping it works out that he can get off those days, Last time we went to a game it was the old Soldier Field. Should be a great game, great half time ceremony, and of course a Bears win!!!

Thanks for the info, I had only looked at the train schedules from South Bend to Chicago and Chicago to South Bend, Michigan City isn't that far away, I think both of us would prefer taking the train. I hadn't called yet but planned to, just to see if there were options. That would mean doing our exploring by foot, taxi, or public transpo. I would love to go to Ditka's especially considering that is the night they are having the ceremony to retire his number. Neither of us drink, so we'll probably skip the pubs but I do like the idea of Ditka's and/or Deep Dish/ and thin.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas hoping it works out that he can get off those days, Last time we went to a game it was the old Soldier Field. Should be a great game, great half time ceremony, and of course a Bears win!!!

I'll add another vote for Geno's. Giordano's is a bit more publicly-known but I didn't like their sauce as much, they add too much sugar to it for my taste.

I would love to go to Ditka's especially considering that is the night they are having the ceremony to retire his number. Neither of us drink, so we'll probably skip the pubs but I do like the idea of Ditka's and/or Deep Dish/ and thin.

FWIW I too recommend Ditka's if you can swing it. Was there a few years ago. Great food, great enviornment. They have a 'blue collar' menu and a not so blue collar menu. And I hear Ditka is there pretty frequently (Wasnt the night I was). But my wife grabbed me a sweatshirt and I get a lot of cool comments on it - especially here in the great North.

I envy you, sounds like it'll be a blast. Have a great time!!!

FWIW I too recommend Ditka's if you can swing it. Was there a few years ago. Great food, great enviornment. They have a 'blue collar' menu and a not so blue collar menu. And I hear Ditka is there pretty frequently (Wasnt the night I was). But my wife grabbed me a sweatshirt and I get a lot of cool comments on it - especially here in the great North.

I envy you, sounds like it'll be a blast. Have a great time!!!

My personal favorite at Ditka's is the Kick Ass Paddle Steak which is a bone-in rib-eye. Outstanding! I've heard great things about the pot roast nachos but have never had them myself.

That is the Billy Boat Tavern!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/billy-goat-tavern-chicago

But go to this one, not the one on the pier!

The pier is fun, especially if in town for the first time. Also the museums...

Not sure where it is, but the place where they based the Saturday Night Live gigs with John Belushi, Billy Goats?, would be great to visit....Navy Pier is kind of cool as well....

Lou Malnati's is also regarded as the best Deep Dish. Can't go wrong with Gino's East though. Giordano's is also a stuffed pizza.

Many good places to get an authentic Chicago Italian Beef or hot dog.

Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are next to the Stadium off of Lake Shore Drive.

I like Lou's better than Geno's, but not by leaps and bounds. But Geno's does offer the thin as well, so that's why I'd recommend it. 2 for 1!

Lou Malnati's is also regarded as the best Deep Dish. Can't go wrong with Gino's East though. Giordano's is also a stuffed pizza.

Many good places to get an authentic Chicago Italian Beef or hot dog.

Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are next to the Stadium off of Lake Shore Drive.

If you are staying overnight I recommend a short trip out to Greektown for breakfast at Lou Mitchell's. It's a legendary place with great service, great food at a good price. There is a lot of history there as many famous people have eaten there. My daughter lives in Greektown and last year when we visited we stopped by...I'll be back on my next trip.

http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/index.asp

“If God made omelets, they’d taste like creations at this loop, World-class breakfast place. Open for lunch, too. Great pancakes. ...” —Zagat Survey

If you are staying overnight I recommend a short trip out to Greektown for breakfast at Lou Mitchell's. It's a legendary place with great service, great food at a good price. There is a lot of history there as many famous people have eaten there. My daughter lives in Greektown and last year when we visited we stopped by...I'll be back on my next trip.

http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/index.asp

“If God made omelets, they’d taste like creations at this loop, World-class breakfast place. Open for lunch, too. Great pancakes. ...” —Zagat Survey

Lou Mitchells is amazing. I lived in the West Loop or Greek town and that place is one of the best.

I voted for Geno's East pizza, because it is close to the stadium. If you want the BEST DEEP DISH PIZZA IN CHICAGO take a 10-15 min ride to Pequods. Get the pan pepperoni. It is by far the best pizza in Chicago. It's not as well know as the other but anyone that has had it will contest it is better then all the rest.

http://pequodspizza.com/chicago/

soo many good ideas here it's making me hungry lol But seriously I need to get up to Chicago more lol. We are going to the game (YAY!) we'll be taking the train from Michigan City to Chicago and back that night/morning. So we'll have one afternoon to go exploring depending on how early we arrive. So most likely one meal before the game Maybe two if we eat as soon as we get there and do some sight seeing before grabbing a bite before the game. I wish I could go to all these places lol they all look and sound so good. For this trip we might keep it somewhat simple, so it may be Geno's and or Ditka's then the game then home. All our exploring will likely be the afternoon/evening before the game. Unless we decide to stay overnight. I'll look into hotels a little bit to see if there are any affordable options. The ticket's, travel, and dining will make the trip a bit expensive as it is without adding another cost of hotel stay. I'm trying to keep the cost somewhat reasonable but still splurge enough to make it a fun memorable unique experience. With it being the night they retire #89 for Da Coach, I'm really wanting to make a stop at Ditkas, if even just for an appetizer and the atmosphere. Then explore some, and get some pizza at Geno's. Maybe it won't be as long till the next time Dad and I catch a game.

Couple questions concerning Ditka's: While I don't expect to see Da Coach there, if he is there how accessible is he, is it possible to get something signed? Also getting in there for a meal or appetizer I have to imagine it is packed and will be especially busy Dec 9th with the retirement ceremony that evening. If we want to eat there I'm thinking that part of the trip will have to be planned in advance and booking a table.

Thank you all so much for the info, tips, etc.

You got a lot of great advice; my two cents:

I'd pick Lou Malnati's for the deep dish; if you go make sure you push them for the sausage patty to cover the whole pie, if they push back, order extra sausage to guarantee it.

Mr. Beef's on Orleans, definitely well north of the stadium, but the absolute best beef sandwich in town. Dipped (dripping wet from the juice & sweet peppers)= heaven. Note cash only

I second Mad Lith, do not go to Billy Goat at Navy Pier - tourist hole

You cannot go wrong with many of the suggestions, just have a good time and get a food coma going!!

Coach is totally approachable! I have a signed pint glass and more to prove it! Don't be intinidated!

soo many good ideas here it's making me hungry lol But seriously I need to get up to Chicago more lol. We are going to the game (YAY!) we'll be taking the train from Michigan City to Chicago and back that night/morning. So we'll have one afternoon to go exploring depending on how early we arrive. So most likely one meal before the game Maybe two if we eat as soon as we get there and do some sight seeing before grabbing a bite before the game. I wish I could go to all these places lol they all look and sound so good. For this trip we might keep it somewhat simple, so it may be Geno's and or Ditka's then the game then home. All our exploring will likely be the afternoon/evening before the game. Unless we decide to stay overnight. I'll look into hotels a little bit to see if there are any affordable options. The ticket's, travel, and dining will make the trip a bit expensive as it is without adding another cost of hotel stay. I'm trying to keep the cost somewhat reasonable but still splurge enough to make it a fun memorable unique experience. With it being the night they retire #89 for Da Coach, I'm really wanting to make a stop at Ditkas, if even just for an appetizer and the atmosphere. Then explore some, and get some pizza at Geno's. Maybe it won't be as long till the next time Dad and I catch a game.

Couple questions concerning Ditka's: While I don't expect to see Da Coach there, if he is there how accessible is he, is it possible to get something signed? Also getting in there for a meal or appetizer I have to imagine it is packed and will be especially busy Dec 9th with the retirement ceremony that evening. If we want to eat there I'm thinking that part of the trip will have to be planned in advance and booking a table.

Thank you all so much for the info, tips, etc.

Mmm....Lou's....

:cheers

You got a lot of great advice; my two cents:

I'd pick Lou Malnati's for the deep dish; if you go make sure you push them for the sausage patty to cover the whole pie, if they push back, order extra sausage to guarantee it.

Mr. Beef's on Orleans, definitely well north of the stadium, but the absolute best beef sandwich in town. Dipped (dripping wet from the juice & sweet peppers)= heaven. Note cash only

I second Mad Lith, do not go to Billy Goat at Navy Pier - tourist hole

You cannot go wrong with many of the suggestions, just have a good time and get a food coma going!!