2-0

Mongo3451

I certainly understand where you are coming from but the thing that annoys me the most is that a lot fans like to pile on Jay excessively. Look, the Mannings throw picks like all nfl qbs who attempt more than 30 attempts a game. In today's passing league we are going to have to live with some of these turnovers. I am seeing progress this year and hope jay earns a new contract with the bears. I know Cutty is far from perfect but who else would you want that is available? I take cutty over most qbs not named brees, brady, aaron or peyton. I believe that jay is on track with the new regime to win a superbowl in the not so distant future. I am really excited with what emery, trestman and company are putting together.

You are probably right, there isn't going to be a better fit coming out of the current NFL QB's; Josh Freeman-no thanks. I think Trestman will be able to mature Cutler. I read where Cavanaugh has been a big help on the sidelines, Cutler gets a chance to gripe and then Cavanaugh immediately gets him to focus and review the photos of the last drive. That's good stuff and a sign Cutler, for now, is buying into the system and process. Maybe this is a staff he truly respects.

Interception in the end zone had me cursing yesterday. Looked again in slow motion and Maneri was wide open and Cutler was unlucky that it was tipped however Maneri was still open and should have caught the tipped ball. If he would have tried jumping and catching it at its highest point it would have been a TD.

Marshall blamed himself for the other one saying he should have come back for the jump ball considering the position of the safety.

I see adequate to good play from Paea, Wooten, Collins and McCellin. Hope the missing time in training camp is the reason for non existence of Melton and Peppers because their play has been dreadful.

Great start to the season looking forward to going to Green Bay for our first meeting in a few weeks and smashing the cheese heads.

I posted the same in the game thread! :lol:

I rewatched this play 10 times today.

A few things standout:

1) Maneri makes a poor effort to grab it. He and Harrison Smith are seemingly the only two in the area who know where the ball is. Maneri only jumped about 6 inches to grab it. Either he didn't see Smith, he's a bad athlete, or he didnt' give a shit.

2) The decision to throw it was poor. Maneri was open, but why throw it to that guy of all people? He's there to block, not catch.

3) His first option was M.Bennett and his second was Fiammetta. Both were covered, although with a perfect pass, he had Bennett for a second.

4) A run play call might have been the best option. I know they had just scored on a 1 yard pass, but why's Bush even on the team at this point then?

5) Why was Maneri even on the field at that juncture? It might have been to make MIN believe a run was coming due to his blocking ability, but come on.

It's too easy to second guess the play call. Football is a game of rock/paper/scissors and sometimes going away from the vanilla option is necessary. I don't blame Trestman for calling that play at all. He probably figures even with an incomplete pass it forces the defense to play us honestly on subsequent running downs. The armchair offensive coordinators here tell us the regular vanilla first option is a run. Yes I am SURE Trestman knows that LOL but you gotta mix it up, and Trestman has earned the right as an offensive coordinator in this league to call a change up.

The real problem was why Cutler didn't just throw the ball away, and try again on second down. That's what we need to be focusing on. Trestman's call might not have generated a touchdown right there on first down at the goalline, but it sure didn't imply the interception had Cutler executed it properly.

I'm still rooting for Cutler, but that decision and a few others leave me worried. I hope Trestman can straighten him out to think more strategically, that you don't win the game on every play, sometimes you fold your hand, and play the next one. We've got enough horses to win consistently if we can play smart.

I posted the same in the game thread! :lol:

I rewatched this play 10 times today.

A few things standout:

1) Maneri makes a poor effort to grab it. He and Harrison Smith are seemingly the only two in the area who know where the ball is. Maneri only jumped about 6 inches to grab it. Either he didn't see Smith, he's a bad athlete, or he didnt' give a shit.

2) The decision to throw it was poor. Maneri was open, but why throw it to that guy of all people? He's there to block, not catch.

3) His first option was M.Bennett and his second was Fiammetta. Both were covered, although with a perfect pass, he had Bennett for a second.

4) A run play call might have been the best option. I know they had just scored on a 1 yard pass, but why's Bush even on the team at this point then?

5) Why was Maneri even on the field at that juncture? It might have been to make MIN believe a run was coming due to his blocking ability, but come on.

I don't think the call was necessarily bad except for the Maneri route, a throw to the center of the field that close has to go back to the edge of the end zone. You can't blame Cutler for getting the ball tipped since there was no room to put touch on the ball, however, he probably should've just thrown it away instead of risking a turnover.

I don't think the call was necessarily bad except for the Maneri route, a throw to the center of the field that close has to go back to the edge of the end zone. You can't blame Cutler for getting the ball tipped since there was no room to put touch on the ball, however, he probably should've just thrown it away instead of risking a turnover.

I agree with all of that. Maneri was open, but it was a throw that probably shouldn't have been risked given that he's throwing it right over the top of the D-Line, in a congested area, where guys can still get their hands up.