Two games with Trestman

jason

Year Wins Points Tot. Yds. Pass. Yds. Rush. Yds.
2013 2 55 734 524 210
2012 1 51 596 388 208
2011 1 43 623 475 148
2010 2 46 771 632 139
2009 1 32 627 497 130
2008 1 46 575 277 298
2007 1 23 441 254 187
2006 2 60 744 546 198
2005 1 45 502 274 228
2004 1 37 649 339 310

Notice anything? 700+ yards of offense = win. Over 250 yards of passing per game = win. In today's NFL, offense wins games. I'm so happy the Bears got rid of Lovie and his offensively-challenged style of drafting/coaching.

Long live Trestman!

Most importantly there is that these stats came against two teams that went to the playoffs last year and both of them have good defenses. Last year we put up some good numbers against the Colts in game 1 but I value our week 1 win over the Bengals more as a barometer of what we are than that Colts game last year.

2013 2 55 734 524 210
2012 1 51 596 388 208
2011 1 43 623 475 148
2010 2 46 771 632 139
2009 1 32 627 497 130
2008 1 46 575 277 298
2007 1 23 441 254 187
2006 2 60 744 546 198
2005 1 45 502 274 228
2004 1 37 649 339 310

Notice anything? 700+ yards of offense = win. Over 250 yards of passing per game = win. In today's NFL, offense wins games. I'm so happy the Bears got rid of Lovie and his offensively-challenged style of drafting/coaching.

Long live Trestman!

The biggest thing in my book is this offense and Oline is going to take time to really get dialed in. This is a great start but if they stay healthy and we could really have a O to go along with this D.

Im liking what Im seeing from Trestman and Company. Only play I was really unhappy with was the 1st and goal pass play that ended up being INT. Had it worked no body would be saying anything. I just would have liked a run, lower risk play. Im also liking the fact that we play GB in week 9. If the O keeps getting better we should be in good shape to give them a run for their money.

:dabears

Most importantly there is that these stats came against two teams that went to the playoffs last year and both of them have good defenses. Last year we put up some good numbers against the Colts in game 1 but I value our week 1 win over the Bengals more as a barometer of what we are than that Colts game last year.

We were lucky to play the Colts on opening day last year or they likely beat us. That actually turned out to be a big win, all things considered. Unfortunately we left too many W's on the table last year.

Long live Trestman!

I'm not sure there's as much correlation there as you suggest but fine, I'm happy with it. I'd like to know if Hester returned for over 200 yards on ST those other times too. That made a big difference yesterday. Every time the Vikes stuck a dagger in our hearts, Hester responded on the next kickoff, it seemed.

Regardless, Cutler is on a 4,250 yard pace which is better than he's done since leaving the Broncos. He's also on a pace for 40 TD's which would be amazing. I sure hope he doesn't end up with 24 picks though, which would be near his career high.

Agreed!

2013 2 55 734 524 210
2012 1 51 596 388 208
2011 1 43 623 475 148
2010 2 46 771 632 139
2009 1 32 627 497 130
2008 1 46 575 277 298
2007 1 23 441 254 187
2006 2 60 744 546 198
2005 1 45 502 274 228
2004 1 37 649 339 310

Long live Trestman!

Of note, this is the first time in that same window that we have started 2-0 playing against playoff teams from last year, which makes those numbers even more impressive. Cincy is a really solid team, and Minny is always right there with AP and their Defense.

I wonder how many sacks were allowed after 2 games during those seasons?

Cutler

2013 - 1 sacks

2012 - 9 sacks

2011 - 11 sacks

2010 - 5 sacks

2009 - 4 sacks

Of note, this is the first time in that same window that we have started 2-0 playing against playoff teams from last year, which makes those numbers even more impressive. Cincy is a really solid team, and Minny is always right there with AP and their Defense.

I wonder how many sacks were allowed after 2 games during those seasons?

Cutler

2013 - 1 sacks

2012 - 9 sacks

2011 - 11 sacks

2010 - 5 sacks

2009 - 4 sacks

Great stat on the sacks. I'm still gonna worry about the oline but much less now. Replacing 80% of the line in 1 off season and have success is extremely difficult to pull off but anyone watching the games can see that for the 1st time since coming aboard cutler seems to playing comfortable and u can tell he trusts his line. When he trust his line he plays with more swagger and confidence. And that spells trouble for the rest of the league

Great stat on the sacks. I'm still gonna worry about the oline but much less now. Replacing 80% of the line in 1 off season and have success is extremely difficult to pull off but anyone watching the games can see that for the 1st time since coming aboard cutler seems to playing comfortable and u can tell he trusts his line. When he trust his line he plays with more swagger and confidence. And that spells trouble for the rest of the league

It just goes to prove what I have been saying over and over for so long. The OL sucked. It was always the problem. The fact that 4 out of 5 guys got replaced - not to mention 2 replacements being rookies - and there has been considerable improvement without deficiencies in anything similar to cohesion speaks volumes about how bad the previous players were/are.

It just goes to prove what I have been saying over and over for so long. The OL sucked. It was always the problem. The fact that 4 out of 5 guys got replaced - not to mention 2 replacements being rookies - and there has been considerable improvement without deficiencies in anything similar to cohesion speaks volumes about how bad the previous players were/are.

If I might, I would also add that the 80% turnover and the performance thus far speaks to some strong coaching and scheme implementation/adjustments.

And how bad the coaches were as well.

I was right there with you on this issue, I was screaming about fixing the oline back in the day when Grossman and Benson roamed the backfield. It has always been a weakness and has handcuffed this team for years. Now we can start to see what an improved offensive line can do.

The only thing that I don't like seeing from Cutler right now is still the boneheaded turnovers. It seems to just be something in his DNA. Fortunately it's something you can manage, and that seems to be what Marc Trestman is doing for Jay, now. And he's doing it by getting the most out of his talent.

What I love most about Cutler right now is seeing the rhythm in his footwork. On that last drive, I just loved how he had that bounce in his dropback, which is something I've always admired about Aaron Rodgers. Nobody does it better than him. If Jay can continue to do that, he is going to see a dramatic increase in his accuracy, which I think right now is hovering around 67-68%.

And how bad the coaches were as well.

I'm not sure it's fair to call Lovie a bad coach. Granted, I was never really a Lovie fan, but he had consistently competitive teams, a more often than not competitive defense, and a philosophy that kept most games close, giving the Bears a chance to win. Personally I hate his style of coaching, the "play not to lose"-approach, but it was moderately successful.

Having said all that, Trestman > Lovie, for a variety of reasons.

Well said...

I'm not sure it's fair to call Lovie a bad coach. Granted, I was never really a Lovie fan, but he had consistently competitive teams, a more often than not competitive defense, and a philosophy that kept most games close, giving the Bears a chance to win. Personally I hate his style of coaching, the "play not to lose"-approach, but it was moderately successful.

The other thing you could take from that is that Jay Cutler is another 2006 Rex Grossman :)What happens if you look at the defensive number?

Year Wins Opp. Pts. Opp.Tot.Yds. Opp.Pass.Yds. Opp.Rush.Yds.
2013 2 51 690 504 186
2012 1 44 677 508 169
2011 1 42 768 540 228
2010 2 34 578 522 56
2009 1 35 534 353 181
2008 1 34 509 342 167
2007 1 24 544 397 147
2006 2 7 512 363 149
2005 1 15 557 364 193
2004 1 30 666 437 229

Looks like the defense doesn't matter as much.

1. Most points in ten years

2. Second most yards in ten years

3. Fourth most passing yards in ten years

+  4. Fourth most rushing yards in ten years

Two wins

Well, we did see Lovie call the plays for D himself one year. That didn't work so well. I'm not going to try to start a debate trashing Lovie. I just think he is more of a product of a GM that focused primarily on D. They inherited Urlacher, drafted Tillman and Briggs early, and so on. It's hard to not have a successful D with the talent level. Personally, I don't think he is a good coach. However, I can completely understand people thinking he was great with the success the D and team had in his era.

Anyways, back to why I really wanted to reply. The very first hire that Trestman made was Kromer as his OC. I was on cloud 9 that day. It wasn't just my excitement for Trestman being named head coach, the addition of Kromer seemed like an evil genius move. The Bears, who have consistently brought to the table one of the worst lines in the league, now had Kromer that produced a probowler at each position on his offensive line with the Saints.

The brilliance of stealing arguably the best OL coach in the NFL for just a better title and pay is amazing. The results are being shown on the field.

I think we'll have to wait and see. Two games where we had to overcome major gaffs doesn't have me convinced. It looks like a good hire but his team has played pretty sloppy football so far. And the D has been mediocre at best.

I think I'm going to agree with you in the long run and I sure as hell want to right now, but I'm reserving judgment until I have more evidence.