Isaiah Frey

Alaskan Grizzly

I think we discussed the "dark horse" contenders earlier in the season and I don't want to necessarily tip my hat to *unnamed poster*, but I believe he picked Frey (at least I think it was him) to be that candidate. So far, Frey has been pretty impressive. I see a 'Corey Graham' type of player in the making and there almost is no doubt he (Frey) is the current starting Nickel back. IMHO, he is defintitely the better option over Hayden.

From what I've seen when he's playing, he's been around the ball in almost each instance. So far, of the 13 total tackles that he's got for the season 6 were made during the game with Pitt. And to put things in perspective; Briggs, Tillman and Jennings each have 24, 14 and 14 tackles respectively.

Please no! I deserve no credit and nothing but grief! I failed that one! I picked Hardin! :banghead I sure am glad Emery is the guy out there for us and not me!

I like what I've seen of Frey too...

I think we discussed the "dark horse" contenders earlier in the season and I don't want to necessarily tip my hat to Mad Lith, but I believe he picked Frey (at least I think it was him) to be that candidate. So far, Frey has been pretty impressive. I see a 'Corey Graham' type of player in the making and there almost is no doubt he (Frey) is the current starting Nickel back. IMHO, he is defintitely the better option over Hayden.

From what I've seen when he's playing, he's been around the ball in almost each instance. So far, of the 13 total tackles that he's got for the season 6 were made during the game with Pitt. And to put things in perspective; Briggs, Tillman and Jennings each have 24, 14 and 14 tackles respectively.

Please no! I deserve no credit and nothing but grief! I failed that one! I picked Hardin! :banghead I sure am glad Emery is the guy out there for us and not me!

I like what I've seen of Frey too...

Ok never mind. I thought it was Frey or Hardin. Tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. Heck I picked Anderson to be the one, so far....pfffft. Average at best.

Hardin, sheesh... So glad Lovie is gone. I'm liking how Frey and Anderson are performing. The biggest disappointment on D is McClellin. I just don't see him making it in this D.

I simply don't see how anyone can blame either Hardin or McClellin on Lovie. When Shea was drafted everyone said "Emery must be drafting for the next coach because he doesn't fit this D." Now all of a sudden he's a Lovie pick? I don't care who the HC is, the GM makes the call and he went with both players. I think we're all in agreement that neither looks like they have a glorious future. I'm not giving up on McClellin but he hasn't proven anything to me as of yet.

So, to summarize, let's just drop the Lovie bashing on things he doesn't likely deserve bashing for. There are plenty of legit reasons Lovie could be hammered, let's keep this site fact-based.

C'mon C-dog...there's plenty of issues we've all made comments about that are speculative.

If we kept everything "fact-based", all we'd write are stat lines.

While not a fact, it isn't out of the realm of reasonableness that Emery leaned on Smith for some opinion on some or all of the picks made last season. We will never know to what extent, if any. But, to deny the possibility, if not probability of Smith's influence is just not looking at everything with a wide lens.

That said, it doesn't matter. These guys are on our roster. Emery picked them. And he ultimately gets the praise or blame. McLelllin looks to be a bust (as a 1st round pick, although he could end up being a decent contributor), Jeffrey looks to be worth the pick, and our top picks this past draft all look pretty darn good. Our late round picks are a mixed bag, which is what one would reasonably expect. So, really, Emery has done a decent to good job at this point in the journey.

Honestly, as much issue as I had with Smith in the past...to me it is simply in the past. I don't look back in fondness other than the amazing D we witnessed with a full team of Url, Briggs, Harris, Peppers and Mike Brown (and also Hester's heroics). We are moving forward. What was done was done. It's now up to those in command to make the most out of the cards that have been dealt. So far, the hand has been played well. And the group in charge seems to be drawing better cards...

:dabears

There are plenty of legit reasons Lovie could be hammered, let's keep this site fact-based.

While not a fact, it isn't out of the realm of reasonableness that Emery leaned on Smith for some opinion on some or all of the picks made last season. We will never know to what extent, if any. But, to deny the possibility, if not probability of Smith's influence is just not looking at everything with a wide lens.

That said, it doesn't matter. These guys are on our roster. Emery picked them. And he ultimately gets the praise or blame. McLelllin looks to be a bust (as a 1st round pick, although he could end up being a decent contributor), Jeffrey looks to be worth the pick, and our top picks this past draft all look pretty darn good. Our late round picks are a mixed bag, which is what one would reasonably expect. So, really, Emery has done a decent to good job at this point in the journey.

Honestly, as much issue as I had with Smith in the past...to me it is simply in the past. I don't look back in fondness other than the amazing D we witnessed with a full team of Url, Briggs, Harris, Peppers and Mike Brown (and also Hester's heroics). We are moving forward. What was done was done. It's now up to those in command to make the most out of the cards that have been dealt. So far, the hand has been played well. And the group in charge seems to be drawing better cards...

You know I can't pass on the opportunity to chime in on this subject. On the one hand you want to 'leave what is in the past, in the past' but make a dig (however slight) at Lovie in the openning paragraph (bolded above). And what brought the response from Cracker was the dig by Mongo. So if you guys want to 'leave what is in the past, in the past' quit making comparisons to the negative of the previous regime.

Now that being said I realize that it is difficult, if not impossible, to do. Heck even me a Lovie sympathizer can realize that Trestman is better at things that Lovie was not. That most notably is offense....at least three games into the season it would appear he is. As Cracker said the picks/players that are not favorable somehow get linked to Lovie when the ones that do well, linked to Emery/Trestman. We've even had a discussion about Angelo (who I didn't like) did well in some regards in bringing in players like Peppers, Cutler, Hester, Forte etc. But Lovie needs equal credit for the positives that he brought to Chicago as much as he apparently brought the negative.

And speculation is all you have at this point. The season is not quite a quarter over and although the team is currently undefeated there is a long road to go. Lovie's record is proven, Trestman's is still being minted.

I agree. And many of his free agent picks and "addition by subtraction" decisions have been solid too.

Agree again. But your point in bold is exactly why I said what I said. Let's move on and not look back but if we do, let's discuss the past with facts as we know them, not conjecture. It's fine to play a guessing game about things in the future since there isn't any means of knowing anything for certain. So when someone says they blame Lovie for a pick Emery made, I had to say my piece. I'm not going to be Lovie's big defender here but think there was a lot to enjoy on this team while he was in charge too, as you mention above. To say you're happy Lovie is gone is fine, to say you're happy he's gone because he drafted Hardin and McClellin, quite another thing.

You know I can't pass on the opportunity to chime in on this subject.

Ha. We must be the two cranky old guys on the board. :) We not only both chimed in, we both used bold and picked up on almost the same part of what was said. If I were the rest of the board I'd accuse the two of us of being the same guy. Only question is, are you the sock puppet or am I?

On an unrelated note, I saw on WGN News over lunch it's already down in the 30's up there. How the hell does anyone live up there dude?

Ha. We must be the two cranky old guys on the board. :) We not only both chimed in, we both used bold and picked up on almost the same part of what was said. If I were the rest of the board I'd accuse the two of us of being the same guy. Only question is, are you the sock puppet or am I?

FWIW, I'm glad to see one other person out there that isn't 'Lovie bashing'. Although Mad is one of the few that does it with facts and understands my stance. He and I have gone back and forth....now he's trying to convince me to drink the Kool Aid instead of the other way around. Oddly enough, he's a 'cranky old guy too'. Just not as cranky.

On an unrelated note, I saw on WGN News over lunch it's already down in the 30's up there. How the hell does anyone live up there dude?

I've been asking that same question since I moved here 36 years ago. I've even tried a few times to leave (joined the Navy, started college) but for some reason keep coming back. Its a viscious cycle. The best opportunity to move is duing the summer but when the summer is here its the only time you don't want to leave. The summers are beyond comparison. Today is actually in the 40's but raining like cats and dogs. Monday we saw our first snowfall, although it didn't stick. But as I look out the window I see the "termination dust" working its way down the mounatins.

FWIW, I'm glad to see one other person out there that isn't 'Lovie bashing'. Although Mad is one of the few that does it with facts and understands my stance. He and I have gone back and forth....now he's trying to convince me to drink the Kool Aid instead of the other way around. Oddly enough, he's a 'cranky old guy too'. Just not as cranky.

I can't bring myself to hate Lovie for one simple reason, I'm going to be 49 in December and I remember Wanny & Neil Armstrong, among others. And while Smith wasn't great, his teams were so much more fun to watch, went so much further and always played with class. I can't bash him because I know what a coach looks like who deserves to be bashed.

I simply don't see how anyone can blame either Hardin or McClellin on Lovie. When Shea was drafted everyone said "Emery must be drafting for the next coach because he doesn't fit this D." Now all of a sudden he's a Lovie pick? I don't care who the HC is, the GM makes the call and he went with both players. I think we're all in agreement that neither looks like they have a glorious future. I'm not giving up on McClellin but he hasn't proven anything to me as of yet.

So, to summarize, let's just drop the Lovie bashing on things he doesn't likely deserve bashing for. There are plenty of legit reasons Lovie could be hammered, let's keep this site fact-based.

I was on record last year when Lovie was still coach. So my statement stands. You see the sense in drafting now that he is gone. I wanted him gone 5 years ago and there's a reason he's not coaching now.

Count me in on this! 48 this year...

I was on record last year when Lovie was still coach. So my statement stands. You see the sense in drafting now that he is gone. I wanted him gone 5 years ago and there's a reason he's not coaching now.

I think someone else pointed out before that a large reason he isin't coaching right now has more to do with the $5 million that the Bears are paying him (for the last year of his contract) more than him not coaching because he can't.

I second what CD says that at the worst, Lovie will be coaching somewhere as a DC if not HC again.

A commentator just made an observation the other day that made sense. Sometimes coaches get stale after a while and a change of scenery sometimes makes a world of difference. He was talking about Andy Reid in this instance but the same could be applied for others. Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll are two others that come to mind.

Of course! I would expect no less! :cheers

Yes. I do want to do my best at leaving well enough alone...but that doesn't mean I can't express my thoughts about what happened as it could and probably does have an impact on what is currently happening. Some of it good...Smith's guys certainly know their turnovers! Listen Alaska, I know you have the softest spot in your heart for Smith for some reason. Looking back, I can appreciate what he brought and relish in the wonderful D we saw, as I mentioned before. But I won't hold back saying a few negatives if I feel that it is pertinant to the conversation.

I don't think a soul here, or any Bears fan thought the D would improve. No doubt that Smith and Marinelli are the big guns of D. And their imprint will last a number of years. I don't think anyone knew what to really expect from Trestman. So far, he's delivering on a number of levels. We won't really know until we see far more actuals. But, what has transpired gives just cause to be pleased.

Smith's record is indeed proven. We simply differ on what that proves exactly...

But, Trestman is our coach now. And I'm all in. I like what I've seen so far. It bodes well for the future. That's all we have. And right now, I'll take it and run with it!

GO BEARS!

:cheers

You know I can't pass on the opportunity to chime in on this subject. On the one hand you want to 'leave what is in the past, in the past' but make a dig (however slight) at Lovie in the openning paragraph (bolded above). And what brought the response from Cracker was the dig by Mongo. So if you guys want to 'leave what is in the past, in the past' quit making comparisons to the negative of the previous regime.

Now that being said I realize that it is difficult, if not impossible, to do. Heck even me a Lovie sympathizer can realize that Trestman is better at things that Lovie was not. That most notably is offense....at least three games into the season it would appear he is. As Cracker said the picks/players that are not favorable somehow get linked to Lovie when the ones that do well, linked to Emery/Trestman. We've even had a discussion about Angelo (who I didn't like) did well in some regards in bringing in players like Peppers, Cutler, Hester, Forte etc. But Lovie needs equal credit for the positives that he brought to Chicago as much as he apparently brought the negative.

And speculation is all you have at this point. The season is not quite a quarter over and although the team is currently undefeated there is a long road to go. Lovie's record is proven, Trestman's is still being minted.

Alaskan- you think Anderson has been mediocre but Frey has been good? Really? I mean this respectively, but I think the exact opposite. Neither has been great, but I think Anderson has definitely played better than Frey has this season.

So before I get into this too much, let me reiterate that I picked Anderson to be the surpise player for the year. He still has that possibility.

But if you take it all into context, Anderson really hasn't played all that much better.

First look at their respective positions; Frey is a Nickel Back, Anderson OLB. Frey doesn't play every defensive down, Anderson does. Frey has 13 tackles and is a two year pro, Anderson has 19 total tackles and has been playing for 8 years. Lastly, Frey makes about $400k per year, Anderson $1 million.

In relation to what you ask me, there is a fine line between "mediocre" and "good". In my mind, Anderson should be MUCH better than Frey in order to gain the distinction of "playing better".

Dammit! I'm cranky too! :banghead

...but definitley old!

I will drink to that!

:cheers

Then again, I'd probably drink to about anything...

I agree. And many of his free agent picks and "addition by subtraction" decisions have been solid too.

Agree again. But your point in bold is exactly why I said what I said. Let's move on and not look back but if we do, let's discuss the past with facts as we know them, not conjecture. It's fine to play a guessing game about things in the future since there isn't any means of knowing anything for certain. So when someone says they blame Lovie for a pick Emery made, I had to say my piece. I'm not going to be Lovie's big defender here but think there was a lot to enjoy on this team while he was in charge too, as you mention above. To say you're happy Lovie is gone is fine, to say you're happy he's gone because he drafted Hardin and McClellin, quite another thing.

Basically agree...

Smith will coach again, and at a high level.

I think someone else pointed out before that a large reason he isin't coaching right now has more to do with the $5 million that the Bears are paying him (for the last year of his contract) more than him not coaching because he can't.

I second what CD says that at the worst, Lovie will be coaching somewhere as a DC if not HC again.

A commentator just made an observation the other day that made sense. Sometimes coaches get stale after a while and a change of scenery sometimes makes a world of difference. He was talking about Andy Reid in this instance but the same could be applied for others. Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll are two others that come to mind.