If you were the GM, rebuild the defense

Stinger226

Tucker must go; you can't afford a second chance for him. If he sucks his second season in, you are back at square one, only your offensive studs are a year older. So if supporters say, blow up the inherited scheme and allow Mel to run his own; what is so great about his track record that tells you his scheme is worth it? I think he got the job because he was willing to continue Lovie's defense, no one else was probably willing to do this. So in blowing up this defense, start fresh, dump the coordinator too and look at Wade Phillips or Horton.

Second, dump both safeties, draft one and pick up the second starter in FA. Outside of Dix, all the rest of the draftees are rated 2nd rounders. TJ Ward or Byrd and a 2nd round rookie

Bring back Anderson at LB, look to see who is a stop gap middle linebacker in FA; draft one late-leave Bostic to move to the outside

Draft either one of the Notre Dame DL-1st round; sign Michael Bennett

Move to 3-4.

Cut Peppers, Melton walks, Peanut stays for one more year, SMC stays on contract but gets transferred to turf maintenance, Jennings gets his $, Melton stays for a lessened contract, Conte is tarred and feathered. All defense since Tucker will probably get a second chance.

1. HaHa Clinton-Dix, FS, Bama - An absolute stud who starts day one

2. Darqueze Denard, CB, Michigan St - Mr. No fly zone learns for one year under Peanut.

3. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee - Mountain of a man. Prototype zero technique. Perfect fit.

4. Dominique Easley, DE, Florida - He probably doesn't last this long, but maybe the ACL (two tears) scares teams off?

5. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas - Pedigree. Good 3-4 DE. Great value here and lots of potential.

6. Hakeem Smith, SS, Louisville - Older draft pick, maturity and solid tackling go hand in hand. Tough defender.

6. Tom Hornsey, P, Memphis - Punters are defensive, and it's time for a punter that doesn't suck.

Move to 3-4.

Cut Peppers, Melton walks, Peanut stays for one more year, SMC stays on contract but gets transferred to turf maintenance, Jennings gets his $, Melton stays for a lessened contract, Conte is tarred and feathered. All defense since Tucker will probably get a second chance.

1. HaHa Clinton-Dix, FS, Bama - An absolute stud who starts day one

2. Darqueze Denard, CB, Michigan St - Mr. No fly zone learns for one year under Peanut.

3. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee - Mountain of a man. Prototype zero technique. Perfect fit.

4. Dominique Easley, DE, Florida - He probably doesn't last this long, but maybe the ACL (two tears) scares teams off?

5. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas - Pedigree. Good 3-4 DE. Great value here and lots of potential.

6. Hakeem Smith, SS, Louisville - Older draft pick, maturity and solid tackling go hand in hand. Tough defender.

6. Tom Hornsey, P, Memphis - Punters are defensive, and it's time for a punter that doesn't suck.

Would love that draft, but from what I looked at the NT could be a late first round or early 2nd pick, probably doesnt make it to the 3rd.

Would love that draft, but from what I looked at the NT could be a late first round or early 2nd pick, probably doesnt make it to the 3rd.

I've read several different reports that place him anywhere from 1-3. I contemplated moving him to rd 2 and going DB in the 3rd.

I've read several different reports that place him anywhere from 1-3. I contemplated moving him to rd 2 and going DB in the 3rd.

A few more observations to add:

Jason is spot on HaHa in the first and the NT would be there in the second.

Switching to the 3-4 would give us the opportunity to still get some mileage out of SCM.

Grab Arthur Jones if we switch to a 3-4 as a DE.

I think C. Washington comes more in the picture in a 3-4, he is built for that OLB in that scheme.

I think one of the things the defense was lacking in there spiral down the tubes was defense team leaders.

I think from what I read HaHa would become one of our leaders in the Troy P. mode.

I think Briggs was a sorry leader. The last two games, our defensive team leader failed to address the media after the games

and bailed on the rest of the team in that role. So if we switch to a 3-4, he doesnt really fit in to that scheme, so I would have

no problem, letting him go. 1 mil in dead cap space and a savings of 5.5 mil in cap space. Plus will be his last year of contract

and you know he will be pining for an extension. Go out and grab Orakpo to fill his spot.

In the 3-4 we have Cornelius Washington and Orakpo as OLB, Bostic and SCM at ILB, McCullens and Ratliff at NT, and Arthur Jones and Paea at DE.

In the backfield we have HaHa, and will have to completely rebuild the rest with the draft and FAs. We have almost have nobody that can play that scheme left on the roster.

These changes will not make us a great defense but go along way from being as bad as we were in 2013

I have to admit two things: One, I don't know a lot about the 3-4 defense and secondly, I'm intrigued by the thought of it.

What I do believe is that Wooten and Peppers are big and athletic enough to play 3-4 ends while I have reservations about Paea playing any role at his size / athletic ability. That's not saying he can't add girth to play the nose. I like McClellin and Bostic on the outside utilizing their speed Briggs and Williams look to be a fit in the middle, as they are surer tacklers and range and explosiveness not what it used to be. Not sure Green fits in this scheme unless he can move inside.

In the secondary, I would really love to see Tillman move to safety or let him walk. He is simply a funnel corner and a liability if left alone. He's still a great tackler and very instinctive. I could multiple strips and picks for him next year. I like us to sign Jennings. He is a really good cover corner. Imagine the confidence he would have knowing Peanut has his back. I may be alone here but I think Conte is redeemable next year. He was better in 2012. Was his regression due to scheme and coaching or ability. Wright can go. He simply doesn't make enough plays for his aggressive nature.

I have to admit two things: One, I don't know a lot about the 3-4 defense and secondly, I'm intrigued by the thought of it.

What I do believe is that Wooten and Peppers are big and athletic enough to play 3-4 ends while I have reservations about Paea playing any role at his size / athletic ability. That's not saying he can't add girth to play the nose. I like McClellin and Bostic on the outside utilizing their speed Briggs and Williams look to be a fit in the middle, as they are surer tacklers and range and explosiveness not what it used to be. Not sure Green fits in this scheme unless he can move inside.

In the secondary, I would really love to see Tillman move to safety or let him walk. He is simply a funnel corner and a liability if left alone. He's still a great tackler and very instinctive. I could multiple strips and picks for him next year. I like us to sign Jennings. He is a really good cover corner. Imagine the confidence he would have knowing Peanut has his back. I may be alone here but I think Conte is redeemable next year. He was better in 2012. Was his regression due to scheme and coaching or ability. Wright can go. He simply doesn't make enough plays for his aggressive nature.

I also think Tillman would make a good FS, the problem is he has stated no desire to play safety and someone will be willing to pay him more money than we will. IF Lovie gets the TB , I see him going there. Let someone over pay for his services and move on.

I also think Tillman would make a good FS, the problem is he has stated no desire to play safety and someone will be willing to pay him more money than we will. IF Lovie gets the TB , I see him going there. Let someone over pay for his services and move on.

That's a great point. It even made me think a new coach trying to build a locker room would pay a premium for the work ethic and leadership.