Signings-Cutty-Jennings-Slauson

Uncle Buck

I feel like it is a little over valued, which is odd if the Bears have the best assessment on his value. The speed of the deal seems like the Cutler camp was happy with the deal too.

For next season we can finally say no excuses. 2nd year in system, OLine continuity, and a bunch of all pro level skill players. Almost any QB should be able to put up huge numbers and wins in that scenario.

I agree with you except your adding "wins" to the end of your last statement. You could put the best QB in the league on this team and they'd be hard-pressed to overcome that shitty D. But hopefully we'll rebuild that this year.

Again, we don't know all the cap details of this deal either. From an eariler article that quoted Spotrac, below are the deals other "Franchise QB's" got. Cutler still has to prove himself a Franchise guy but so do some of the others listed below.

•Eli Manning, $20,850,000

•Matthew Stafford, $17,820,000

•Peyton Manning, $17,500,000

•Drew Brees, $17,474,000

•Tom Brady, $13,800,000

All in all, depending on the details, it might not be all that out of whack, money-wise.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like it is a little over valued, which is odd if the Bears have the best assessment on his value. The speed of the deal seems like the Cutler camp was happy with the deal too. For next season we can finally say no excuses. 2nd year in system, OLine continuity, and a bunch of all pro level skill players. Almost any QB should be able to put up huge numbers and wins in that scenario.

Best to start liking Cutty.

"Almost any QB should be able to put up huge numbers and wins in that scenario." - If that was the case, bring back Jonathon Quinn or Craig Krenzel.

Didn't see the presser, what did they say about the D and SMC?

What was interesting is that they said they needed to get more from SMC and they felt he was capable. They also are open to moving him to a linebacker if that is what helps him succeed. Trestman even mentioned being open to a 3-4, it is on the table.

Fire Mel Tucker already! If you're going to run a hybrid or a 3-4, hire a proven coach who knows how to do it, like Wade Phillips or Ray Horton. Personally I'd go with Phillips because Horton will be a head coach in the near future. Phillips has no chance to be a head coach anymore, meaning he will be here for a while.

At the end of this, Jay will probably go down as the Bears best QB in terms of stats. Let's hope numerous trophies go hand in hand...

Isn't he already? I'm not joking. Didn't he pass Sid Luckman as to passing yardage this season? Just goes to show you how damned pathetic things have been at QB for the Bears for the last 6 decades or so...

You're right about the trophies. That means we need to improve at D and ST though.

Best to start liking Cutty.

"Almost any QB should be able to put up huge numbers and wins in that scenario." - If that was the case, bring back Jonathon Quinn or Craig Krenzel.

Ok you got me, any franchise QB being paid $18 million a year.

General consensus is the deal is not good. Funny seeing comments like "Packers clinch Division for next 7 years" and that other teams like this deal because it makes their defenses better.

For the money, if it comes out to $18 million, I believe we over paid. Now this will be highly dependent on his performance during the contract.

I'm gonna hold out until I hear the spec on the deal before I call it too much. As a fan all I care about is the cap money, if the cap money is around 10-13 M a year, then I'd say it's a good deal.

There's no denying that Cutler improved immensely this year, and I expect that to continue in year 2 of the system.

In Trestman I trust.

General consensus is the deal is not good. Funny seeing comments like "Packers clinch Division for next 7 years" and that other teams like this deal because it makes their defenses better.

For the money, if it comes out to $18 million, I believe we over paid. Now this will be highly dependent on his performance during the contract.

7 year averaging 18 million.... total of $126.... i will say i thought it would be lower per year. When will they release the totals?

I would have thought 15 a year.

General consensus is the deal is not good.

Really? Sources? I don't give a shit what Packer's fans are saying.

If you throw out the Redskins game because Cutler played only a few series and project Jay's numbers out over a 16 game season, he'd throw for over 4,100 yards, 30 TD's and 18 picks with an average QB Rating of 93. What do you think those stats would be if we had a D that could get us back the ball more frequently? Or a D that didn't let the other team score at a record pace? As it is, that yardage would put him in the top 10 of QB's, the TD production in the top 6 and rating, top 11.

Fact is, therefore, he's a better than average QB and guys who aren't "all that" are getting deals that are similar or exceed this one. As you fairly state, it'll all depend on where he goes from here. If we build this D up to be decent and don't take major injuries on the O Line or at other skilled offensive positions, is it reasonable to think Jay could put up top 5 QB numbers next season? I think it is.

I don't know if this is a good deal or not. As others have said, it's about cap money, not average $ per year. We'll see.

With QB contracts soaring with every new signing I think the Bears were smart to lock him up to a 7 year deal. If he continues to improve in the 2nd year under Trestman you have to consider this: If they had kept him out of FA this year using the franchise tag his cap hit would have been even larger. Then, you would look at resigning him for a heck of a lot more than the deal he just got next year, guaranteed.

Is it a gamble, sure. However, it is a gamble when you sign any player to a high profile contract.

If, from what I am hearing, the Bears have some "outs" after the first 3 years, it would make the gamble a bit more tolerable.

I also like the fact that this was completed so quickly. Everyone, including myself, was concerned with all the free agents we had to resign / cut loose. Getting arguably the most difficult contract out of the way this fast will help Emery & our Front Office to better determine how to allocate our cap room to allow us to make the improvements on defense that are certainly needed.

It looks like Cliff not only knows how to put it into high gear signing our draft picks but also our own free agents.

If, from what I am hearing, the Bears have some "outs" after the first 3 years, it would make the gamble a bit more tolerable.

That could also be interpreted as the Bears keeping a lot of his guaranteed money in the first 3 years...which would make the cap hit higher during those years.

That could also be interpreted as the Bears keeping a lot of his guaranteed money in the first 3 years...which would make the cap hit higher during those years.

I agree, there are a lot of questions to be answered.

Hopefully more info will become available soon.

I am hoping it is very "cap friendly" at least for 2014 as there is a lot of work to be done.