Clint Hurtt added to the staff.

scs787

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=10341389

He comes with a bit of controversy over a recruiting issue a few years back but luckily there's no recruiting that goes on in the NFL.

Coached the NCAA sack leader Marcus Smith this year, was apart of the 06 Miami team that holds the all time record for least rushing yards allowed per game (67), and he coached one of my favorite non Bears, Vince Wilfork. Was hurt his senior year at Miami but was named an honorary coach. He's just 35 years old and looks like he can still man the NT position(he's a big ol boy).

Said to be one of the best young upstart coaches in the college ranks. An entertaining fellow as well....He'll look good on hard knocks lol.

EDIT- For those who didn't get the hint from the Marcus Smith comment, Clint is coming over from the National Champions Louisville Cardinals staff....Guess that should be thrown in there somewhere lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=10341389

He comes with a bit of controversy over a recruiting issue a few years back but luckily there's no recruiting that goes on in the NFL.

Coached the NCAA sack leader Marcus Smith this year, was apart of the 06 Miami team that holds the all time record for least rushing yards allowed per game (67), and he coached one of my favorite non Bears, Vince Wilfork. Was hurt his senior year at Miami but was named an honorary coach. He's just 35 years old and looks like he can still man the NT position(he's a big ol boy).

Said to be one of the best young upstart coaches in the college ranks. An entertaining fellow as well....He'll look good on hard knocks lol.

EDIT- For those who didn't get the hint from the Marcus Smith comment, Clint is coming over from the National Champions Louisville Cardinals staff....Guess that should be thrown in there somewhere lol.

That is a large man.... National Champion of what????????

Now we have 3 Dline coaches: Pasqualoni, Hurtt, and Sinclair? I said before I felt Pasqualoni was an asst. DC hiring more so than a Dline coach. This reaffirms that suspicion and I'd say he's our DC in waiting if Tucker fails again.

Ratliff had a great season under Pasqualoni and Herring in Dallas one that earned him a huge contract. I would guess he's more inclined to stay with us if we offer a competitive contract.

Every hire we make (still need confirmation on this one) is a coach who improves sacks so we know what is at the top of Trestman's list for qualifications.

Hurtt Bio--------------------------

http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt...tt_clint00.html

In 2011, the Cardinals finished 21st in the nation in sacks and 22nd in tackles for loss, as the Cardinals ranked 10th in the nation against the run with a 100.54 average

• Helped the Cardinals finish sixth in the nation in sacks and 29th in tackles for loss after the Cardinals were ranked 58th and 63rd, respectively, in 2009 -- the year prior to Hurrt's arrival

Sinclair was informed he will not be back, Hurtt takes the Asst DL title Sinclair had. It all makes sense now

Pasqualoni- DL Coach

Hurtt- Asst DL Coach

Herring- LB Coach

Sinclair was another CFL hire that didn't work, Hurtt seems like a big upgrade.

Bad for Sinclair, but now I understand. It will be interesting to watch TC this year to see their impact.

Anyone know if LOU ran a 3-4 or 4-3????

Louisville ran a 4-3.

Here's something real interesting....

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 27h

New #Bears assistant DL coach Clint Hurtt spent last 4 years as Louisville's DL coach/recruiting coordinator. Cardinals ran a 3-3-5 defense.

I'll have to watch some Louisville tape to see how that goes....I highly doubt they do anything like that but if Zaidman is correct then he does experience with 3 down lineman.

Here's a good article on the 3-3-5 D...

http://grantland.com/features/an-excerpt-e...-3-3-5-defense/

It's a long article so I'll a pull a little piece from it that kinda sums it up...

There are different styles of 3-3, and Strong’s was of the attacking variety. On just about every snap, his linemen were instructed to attack a gap — the space between offensive linemen — and get into the backfield to make things generally unpleasant for offenses. This is an important difference between the 3-3-5 and the 3-4. The traditional 3-4 is a two-gap defense, which means that the defensive linemen typically line up “heads up” on the offensive linemen and are responsible for the gaps to either side. This leaves the linebackers free to roam. In the 3-3-5, there are more stunts, and usually at least one linebacker is rushing. This means each player ends up responsible for one specific gap, though the player’s specific responsibility will change from play to play. The 3-3-5 is designed to make both pass protection and run schemes (particularly zone-blocking schemes that heavily rely on double-team blocks) difficult to the point of futility. The linebackers have varying assignments, from blitz to coverage, but they are still responsible for gaps. One important benefit of this type of defense is that it simplifies assignments for players: attack your gap and make a play.

Article says Louisville used it more as a sub package though, so Jason is probably right in that they ran a base 4-3. Point remains about Hurtt having experience with 3 down lineman though.

Here's something real interesting....

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 27h

New #Bears assistant DL coach Clint Hurtt spent last 4 years as Louisville's DL coach/recruiting coordinator. Cardinals ran a 3-3-5 defense.

I'll have to watch some Louisville tape to see how that goes....I highly doubt they do anything like that but if Zaidman is correct then he does experience with 3 down lineman.

Not real familiar with the 3-3-5. Sure as hell looked like a 4-3 to me. Apparently the Fox DE looks a lot like a 4-3 DE to me. PoTAYto, PoTAHto.

After reading the article on the 3-3-5 I like the concept and can see where that could work well enough in college. For the NFL when we go against the 4 WR offenses it could fill a role but if we go that route it has to be just a part of what we do. There's too many smaller players on the field to make that the base D IMO. I'd say we're most likely headed towards a 3-4 1-gap defense. The new defensive coaches coming in all have focused on attacking the QB out of a 3-man front.