pretty disappointed so far

adam

We know that Peppers and Major Wright are gone.

As Emery said, the market is going to settle down and prices will fall. Look for us to sign bargain deals now like Slaussen, Williams and Anderson from last year.

Peace :dabears

The Safety market has pretty much dried up with Clemons, Allen, and Major Wright listed as the top available Safeties. Allen and Peppers are the top DE's remaining. So essentially we can only get backwards at this point at those positions unless we get Jared Allen.

We also have to replace or re-sign Melton, Wootton, and Tillman.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting Day 3, not much has changed. We have huge holes over the entire defense and can't go into the draft expecting to fill them all. We still need another DE, DT, CB, and S. I hope we can address one of those where we can go into the draft with some options.

I still think they will, there's still a good little list of players available. I'm guessing Melton, after he really tests the market, will still be a Bear and then we get one of the older DEs (starting to like the idea of Jason Babin who I think can still be a damn good pass rusher at a smalish cap hit).

Phil likes the CB crop in the draft so I think we'll see our CB there. Mundy I believe is our starting SS. I also don't think Jennings is comp for Conte, we'll get that in the draft.

Until Allen/Tuck/Phillips/Babin and Melton/Hatcher are gone I'm not gonna worry about the lack of activity.

The Safety market has pretty much dried up with Clemons, Allen, and Major Wright listed as the top available Safeties. Allen and Peppers are the top DE's remaining. So essentially we can only get backwards at this point at those positions unless we get Jared Allen. We also have to replace or re-sign Melton, Wootton, and Tillman.

Handful of options, so I'm not worried. I would actually rather add through the draft. I think we can get a great SS in rounds 2-3. FS, I'd prefer experience.

Chris Clemons, Nate Allen, Kedrick Lewis, Thomas DeCoud,

Roman Harper, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson

Patrick Chung, Quintin Demps,

I missed that argument somehow.

idk guys, they made a pretty good case on why they didn't need Revis. Tillman was lockdown corner but he wasn't a great m2m corner like Revis.

With all the money Tampa has why let go of him?

Easy possible answers...

1) Lovie is a poor talent evaluator.

2) Lovie wants to start his team with "his" guys (kind of like what seems to be going on with the Bears in some regard)

3) Revis told Lovie he doesn't want to play as a cover-2 guy since it minimizes his spotlight

Lovies D doesn't require cover corners. It would be a luxury and money would be better spent on the Dline. Tillman is not a cover corner. He plays a decent zone, but is excellant at tackling and the punch.

Again, how can someone say his D doesn't require cover corners if he hasn't consistently produced excellent results?! It doesn't make sense. The only way that statement could be proven true would be if he didn't have cover corners and he produced excellent results! Maybe the reason Lovie's system hasn't turned a team into a consistent top 10 defense is that he was missing a cover corner the entire time?

I still think they will, there's still a good little list of players available. I'm guessing Melton, after he really tests the market, will still be a Bear and then we get one of the older DEs (starting to like the idea of Jason Babin who I think can still be a damn good pass rusher at a smalish cap hit).

Phil likes the CB crop in the draft so I think we'll see our CB there. Mundy I believe is our starting SS. I also don't think Jennings is comp for Conte, we'll get that in the draft.

Until Allen/Tuck/Phillips/Babin and Melton/Hatcher are gone I'm not gonna worry about the lack of activity.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel.

The Safety market has pretty much dried up with Clemons, Allen, and Major Wright listed as the top available Safeties. Allen and Peppers are the top DE's remaining. So essentially we can only get backwards at this point at those positions unless we get Jared Allen.

We also have to replace or re-sign Melton, Wootton, and Tillman.

Ok Captain Obvious! ;)

There are generally 3 phases to free agency. (And you should know this by now)

Phase 1: Encompases the first couple of days where the first tier guys get signed. This is when the big money contracts happen.

Phase 2: Encompases everything from the first few days to the draft. This is where guys have to find their market value because they haven't been offered what they think they are worth during Phase 1. This was the phase last year where we signed Zach Bowman, DJ Williams, James Anderson, Kelvin Hayden, Matt Slauson, Josh McCown, and Eben Britton.

Now those aren't flashy signings, but provided 3 starters and some serious depth and role players/

Phase 3 is post draft

It wouldn't surprise me if we re-sign all 3 of those guys too after they learn that what the Bears are offering is competitive.

Always good to get your seasoned perspective!

Ok Captain Obvious! ;)

There are generally 3 phases to free agency. (And you should know this by now)

Phase 1: Encompases the first couple of days where the first tier guys get signed. This is when the big money contracts happen.

Phase 2: Encompases everything from the first few days to the draft. This is where guys have to find their market value because they haven't been offered what they think they are worth during Phase 1. This was the phase last year where we signed Zach Bowman, DJ Williams, James Anderson, Kelvin Hayden, Matt Slauson, Josh McCown, and Eben Britton.

Now those aren't flashy signings, but provided 3 starters and some serious depth and role players/

Phase 3 is post draft

It wouldn't surprise me if we re-sign all 3 of those guys too after they learn that what the Bears are offering is competitive.