Top 4-3 DEs

scs787

I brought up Miller when talking about Mundy (he has him ranked as the 26th of 75 safeties)...Well now he's talking DEs...

#16 Jared Allen

Having signed with the Chicago Bears for 2014, Jared Allen could make a huge impact in helping rebuild a once great defense. Allen will join newcomers Willie Young and Lamarr Houston to give Chicago a solid, aggressive rotation at defensive end.

#10 Willie Young

Young isn’t well-known outside of the NFC North, but his physicality and the opportunity presented to him in Chicago give him the ability to launch himself onto the national radar in 2014.

#6 Lamarr Houston

One of the best all-around defensive ends in the game, Houston will be much more recognizable now that he’s signed with Chicago. As an ideal left defensive end, his impact against the run will be huge for the Bears defense

Gotta love what Phil did at DE

I brought up Miller when talking about Mundy (he has him ranked as the 26th of 75 safeties)...Well now he's talking DEs...

#16 Jared Allen

Having signed with the Chicago Bears for 2014, Jared Allen could make a huge impact in helping rebuild a once great defense. Allen will join newcomers Willie Young and Lamarr Houston to give Chicago a solid, aggressive rotation at defensive end.

#10 Willie Young

Young isn’t well-known outside of the NFC North, but his physicality and the opportunity presented to him in Chicago give him the ability to launch himself onto the national radar in 2014.

#6 Lamarr Houston

One of the best all-around defensive ends in the game, Houston will be much more recognizable now that he’s signed with Chicago. As an ideal left defensive end, his impact against the run will be huge for the Bears defense

Gotta love what Phil did at DE

Matt is a smart guy, but many have stated the obvious that we did well in the DEs we have brought in.

I really hope Cornelius Washington is able to step up his game this year. Would be HUGE if he is able to at least become a reliable situational pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. Would allow Jared Allen more time to rest and be fresh.

Young should provide Allen ample rest. I agree though, you can never have enough pass rushers, between Washington, Bass, and to a lesser extent Lane it sure would be nice if one of those guys really emerges.

Having a guy like Allen should help, as should Joe Kim(who I remain intrigued by).

Young should provide Allen ample rest. I agree though, you can never have enough pass rushers, between Washington, Bass, and to a lesser extent Lane it sure would be nice if one of those guys really emerges.

Having a guy like Allen should help, as should Joe Kim(who I remain intrigued by).

There are going to be a lot of bodies gone at DE, I hope someone steps up and surprises us. You have Allen,Young, and Houston. I assume Bass takes the next step, and suspect if no one shakes out, we have Izzy playing the end/tackle spot left.

I think we have done an excellent job upgrading our DEs. I look at it this way: For $14mil we had Julius Peppers. We cut him.

For $3mil (Allen 2014) + $2.66mil (Young) + $5mil (Houston) = $10.6mil we have two young and still improving players who are good, but not great, against both the run and pass. We added a speed rusher that is better than anything we had last year, or in any recent years.

That's one heck of a trade and is some damn good business by Emery IMO. Even if we were talking about the Peppers of two years ago I'd still make this deal. We're carrying $8mil in dead money (14 - 8 meant we had 6 to spend so we added 4 from Cutler's deal) but it's all worth it. Next year when that $8mil cap hit rolls off the books it goes right into Jared Allen's bank account, plus a little more to thank him for his patience (2015 cap hit $12.5mil).

Emery has a slew of young players and one savvy veteran in the locker room ready to compete for the 4th (and maybe 5th) DE position. With improved team culture and coaching if either Young or Houston take the next step and develop into 9-12 sacks/yr players then we're in very good shape for the next couple years.

I think we have done an excellent job upgrading our DEs. I look at it this way: For $14mil we had Julius Peppers. We cut him.

For $3mil (Allen 2014) + $2.66mil (Young) + $5mil (Houston) = $10.6mil we have two young and still improving players who are good, but not great, against both the run and pass. We added a speed rusher that is better than anything we had last year, or in any recent years.

That's one heck of a trade and is some damn good business by Emery IMO. Even if we were talking about the Peppers of two years ago I'd still make this deal. We're carrying $8mil in dead money (14 - 8 meant we had 6 to spend so we added 4 from Cutler's deal) but it's all worth it. Next year when that $8mil cap hit rolls off the books it goes right into Jared Allen's bank account, plus a little more to thank him for his patience (2015 cap hit $12.5mil).

Emery has a slew of young players and one savvy veteran in the locker room ready to compete for the 4th (and maybe 5th) DE position. With improved team culture and coaching if either Young or Houston take the next step and develop into 9-12 sacks/yr players then we're in very good shape for the next couple years.

Your so right, we threw darts at the position and will come out smelling like a good team because of it.

And with the offense likely taking another step forward, shoring up the D this offseason so far has been a success on paper and should be in reality. Even if the D only makes it back to average that will go a long way towards making a serious run for the prize in 2014. Emery is proving to be a very savy GM and I love it.