Only 50 days but who's counting!!

Bill

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/06/19/the-nfls-11-best-offensive-tackles/

So the Bears did not make a top eleven tackle.  But they had a player in every other list and in some two.  Just amazing how good this defense is.  I am looking forward to seeing how they will play with Pagano.  And I don't for a minute think they are going backwards just because they lost Fangio.  When Ryan left they were just as good and in many areas even better.  

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I am looking forward to seeing how they will play with Pagano.  And I don't for a minute think they are going backwards just because they lost Fangio

Me too!  Was just thinking about how close we are getting to the start of the season and how exciting this year will be.

I agree the defense won't fall back too much but as some analysts have noticed, if the defense doesn't at least match or surpass last year's results some will question Pagano.  I think it'll be tough to do worse because of all the returning players (especially Mack) and their having a whole offseason to gel.  The one weakness I see in the D going into this year as of right now is the NB position with Skrine and maybe CB Amukamura - due to his age. Otherwise, everything else looks good.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, Bill said:

When Ryan left they were just as good and in many areas even better.  

this is an instance where statistics are misleading.

1. the difference between ryan's attack defense and tobin's read and react defense was very noticeable and not for the better. tobin inherited arguably the best defense in the history of the nfl and changed the way they ran their scheme for no apparent reason other than he just wasn't smart enough to step into ryan's shoes.

the defensive line was intact with HOF quality players who were extremely aggressive off the LOS. to have them play in a 'read and react' first scheme was nearly criminal. they also lost wilbur marshal an excellent LB (thanks mikey) and replaced him i believe with r. rivera. not even a close comparison.

2. this point is also critical.... they lost discipline as a unit. the ryan headmaster/taskmaster replaced by tobin was like letting the inmates run the asylum. it was very noticeable throughout the season.

2 hours ago, Lucky Luciano said:

this is an instance where statistics are misleading.

1. the difference between ryan's attack defense and tobin's read and react defense was very noticeable and not for the better. tobin inherited arguably the best defense in the history of the nfl and changed the way they ran their scheme for no apparent reason other than he just wasn't smart enough to step into ryan's shoes.

the defensive line was intact with HOF quality players who were extremely aggressive off the LOS. to have them play in a 'read and react' first scheme was nearly criminal. they also lost wilbur marshal an excellent LB (thanks mikey) and replaced him i believe with r. rivera. not even a close comparison.

2. this point is also critical.... they lost discipline as a unit. the ryan headmaster/taskmaster replaced by tobin was like letting the inmates run the asylum. it was very noticeable throughout the season.

Statistically better but not nearly as fun to watch, nor were they as feared to play against.  

For the defense will be better. Pagano is more aggressive that fits this team better. How many times did we see Mack or Floyd drop into coverage? To much. Also the offense will be better control the ball more and keep the defense off the field. We have ascending players in RRH, Floyd, Smith, Nichols and Jackson. Jackson has not yet peaked, this year and next will be a step up for him. Also Mack being here a full off season will be huge as far as how he affects the rest of the team. HaHa will end up with a better season than Amos did last year, a plus. Skrine might be the only step back but remember Calahan was gone for part of the season. Skrine is a physical player and I can see him shining in rushing the passer.