Realistic Options at #20 (2021 Draft)

adam

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Are you a pro scout? I have read some bad and good reports about him. There is only one stud in this draft Trevor Lawrence, and top prospects have failed before. I personally like Zach Wilson but he will never be available at 20 , plus , I'm not a pro scout so my opinion only matters to me. 

I liked what I read on Tanner Morgan from Minnesota.  Would like to learn more on him, he could be a nice mid draft pick with some potential. 

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Are you a pro scout? I have read some bad and good reports about him. There is only one stud in this draft Trevor Lawrence, and top prospects have failed before. I personally like Zach Wilson but he will never be available at 20 , plus , I'm not a pro scout so my opinion only matters to me. 

The "are you a pro scout" or "are you a GM" argument is so tired. If that meant anything, the Bears wouldn't have been terrible 30 of the past 35 years. Furthermore, Pace has unequivocally shown a propensity to draft not only poorly, but trade up for poor selections.

Hell, look no further than how many of us hated not only the Trubisky pick, but also the trade up for him, which is the primary reason the Bears have sunk to where they are now. Having a pick that high is transformative for an organization, and Pace not only struck out, but but he paid the pitcher to do it. Just about any one of us would have had similar success to Pace over his tenure. We would have hits and misses, some seriously boneheaded picks, but he's missed far more than he has hit. We would have done the same out of sheer luck and percentage.

8 hours ago, jason said:

The "are you a pro scout" or "are you a GM" argument is so tired. If that meant anything, the Bears wouldn't have been terrible 30 of the past 35 years. Furthermore, Pace has unequivocally shown a propensity to draft not only poorly, but trade up for poor selections.

Hell, look no further than how many of us hated not only the Trubisky pick, but also the trade up for him, which is the primary reason the Bears have sunk to where they are now. Having a pick that high is transformative for an organization, and Pace not only struck out, but but he paid the pitcher to do it. Just about any one of us would have had similar success to Pace over his tenure. We would have hits and misses, some seriously boneheaded picks, but he's missed far more than he has hit. We would have done the same out of sheer luck and percentage.

How far back does this go? Angelo, Emery, and now Pace. Is it the GM or is there a master behind the curtains pulling the strings?  Is Virginia making these picks?  The Bears might as well go the Raiders way and hire Mel Kiper. 

Since I do not think Pace or Nagy survive and are gone after next year, they should be forced to follow a safe draft script.  RD1) LT RD2) RT   RD3) WR   RD4) QB 

On 1/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

How far back does this go? Angelo, Emery, and now Pace. Is it the GM or is there a master behind the curtains pulling the strings?  Is Virginia making these picks?  The Bears might as well go the Raiders way and hire Mel Kiper. 

Since I do not think Pace or Nagy survive and are gone after next year, they should be forced to follow a safe draft script.  RD1) LT RD2) RT   RD3) WR   RD4) QB 

It's an interesting question I never considered. Maybe the Bears are actually hiring competent GMs, but they're just being handcuffed by upper management? All I know is, the guys who have been drafting for the Bears for years have not been doing well.

I think in the league , Pace would be considered average at his job. He has missed on most of his first rounders but have hit on mid round picks. Mooney, Nichols, Cohen, EJAC, Amos, and Howard. Almost all of his 2nd and third rounds picks have stuck.  The last three years everyone but Kennith Whyte has made the team.

13 hours ago, jason said:

It's an interesting question I never considered. Maybe the Bears are actually hiring competent GMs, but they're just being handcuffed by upper management? All I know is, the guys who have been drafting for the Bears for years have not been doing well.

As for the owners selecting, this is mainly the first round bc after it gets too cloudy.  The gm tells them this is 3 or 4 players that we think, then they make the pick. I'm sure this would have leaked, but it sure feels like some of the same moves over and over from GM to GM.  I also say they are involved because they also lean towards "safe" players which they may have implemented after the tank johnson fiasco. 

11 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

As for the owners selecting, this is mainly the first round bc after it gets too cloudy.  The gm tells them this is 3 or 4 players that we think, then they make the pick. I'm sure this would have leaked, but it sure feels like some of the same moves over and over from GM to GM.  I also say they are involved because they also lean towards "safe" players which they may have implemented after the tank johnson fiasco. 

I don't know about that.  Let's look back at the picks.  White: widely regarded as the consensus 2nd best receiver in the draft.  No injury history.  Has freak injuries rookie year and loses his explosion.  Floyd:  consensus best edge player at bears spot.  Looks promising rookie year, then gets neutered by Pagano.  Was a stud for Rams this year.  Roquan= stud.  Trubisky:  argued to death.  Just a flop.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mongo3451 said:

I don't know about that.  Let's look back at the picks.  White: widely regarded as the consensus 2nd best receiver in the draft.  No injury history.  Has freak injuries rookie year and loses his explosion.  Floyd:  consensus best edge player at bears spot.  Looks promising rookie year, then gets neutered by Pagano.  Was a stud for Rams this year.  Roquan= stud.  Trubisky:  argued to death.  Just a flop.

It was a theory.

But hey, we are 84 days, 3 hours, and 24 seconds until draft day.  After the big game hopefully we can get some targets established for the beloved.

I don't think the Bears organization can afford to trade away future picks for Wentz or Carr as much as I think they could help solidify the QB position, albeit at what cost?  This is supposedly a deep draft for OT and WR.  I what I see on highlights for QB Mac Jones but he may not be there at no. 20.  This could be the year to trade back and get some starting OT's and add depth.

Here is my most recent mock addressing OT, WR and bringing in young talent at positions that are aging or getting very expensive.

36. Jalen Mayfield

OT Michigan

52. Baron Browning

LB Ohio State 

58.Dillon Radunz

OT North Dakota State

97.Davis Mills

QB Stanford

105.Marquez Stevenson

WR Houston

125.Monty Rice

LB Georgia