Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AZ54

Mooney Interview

Recommended Posts

I haven't listened to the interview, just read the summary here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-more-organized-now-says-darnell-mooney

Podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/darnell-mooney-in-studio-time-to-cash-in-on-white-sox/id1210156055?i=1000567483239

In a podcast interview with Redline Radio, described Matt Eberlus' team as entirely organized and the Matt Nagy regime, well, not so much.

"It's night and day, man," Mooney said on the podcast about Bears practices now. "It's smooth. I mean everything. Everybody knows where to go, when to do something, what's the expectation, what's the standard. You know what you're getting out of the next day. It's not coming in and just like, 'uh, what we got going on?'

This is not a surprise to anyone who watched this team last year and it's a good sign for the future of the franchise until we get to see the product on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I haven't listened to the interview, just read the summary here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-more-organized-now-says-darnell-mooney

Podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/darnell-mooney-in-studio-time-to-cash-in-on-white-sox/id1210156055?i=1000567483239

In a podcast interview with Redline Radio, described Matt Eberlus' team as entirely organized and the Matt Nagy regime, well, not so much.

"It's night and day, man," Mooney said on the podcast about Bears practices now. "It's smooth. I mean everything. Everybody knows where to go, when to do something, what's the expectation, what's the standard. You know what you're getting out of the next day. It's not coming in and just like, 'uh, what we got going on?'

This is not a surprise to anyone who watched this team last year and it's a good sign for the future of the franchise until we get to see the product on the field. 

Fangio was the only reason 2018 happened. Look at Nagy's team without Fangio, they were lucky to 8-8 in back to back years. Nagy ended up 22-27 without Fangio and it is still amazing he won 22 games.

So if Mooney felt like that, can you imagine Fields as a rookie QB who doesn't get any reps in the offseason with the 1s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, adam said:

Fangio was the only reason 2018 happened. Look at Nagy's team without Fangio, they were lucky to 8-8 in back to back years. Nagy ended up 22-27 without Fangio and it is still amazing he won 22 games.

So if Mooney felt like that, can you imagine Fields as a rookie QB who doesn't get any reps in the offseason with the 1s?

I can't imagine buying a new Ferrari and just parking it in the garage and saying I'll see how it drives next year.   If the QB coach was constantly with Fields working on his mechanics I might say ok, go ahead and put the big turbo kit on it first then let's see it run.   There was none of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, adam said:

Fangio was the only reason 2018 happened. Look at Nagy's team without Fangio, they were lucky to 8-8 in back to back years. Nagy ended up 22-27 without Fangio and it is still amazing he won 22 games.

So if Mooney felt like that, can you imagine Fields as a rookie QB who doesn't get any reps in the offseason with the 1s?

100% We should have fired Nagy and promoted Fangio two years ago.

That said, I like the current staff better - I think. On paper. Waiting to see it on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangio is one of the better D minds in the league but has failed as a head coach. Probably not all his fault but the head coach takes the blame for losing. Nagy was an enigma when he first came in. He limited his offense  in 2018 and got mild success. As soon as he went high gear on (his) system things fell apart. This regime will rely on the run (good thing) and build around Fields as the offense goes forward. We added height and speed on O and that will help Fields progress. With all the talk of good or bad, I think a lot of people are not taking into the account of Fields being a lot better this year. Because of our lack of offense in the past, we dont get excited with offensive projections but I think it will be a giant step forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you keep track of what both Mooney and Fields have said about this coaching without directly referring to the previous staff, you can tell something was amiss.

The part that keeps me scratching my head is, this team trade a lot of draft capital to move up and draft Fields and he gets no reps with the 1s during TC, if I were a GM that made that sacrifice and realized that was happening, Nagy would have been in my office and issued an ultimatum. That's why Pace got fired because didn't assert his will on Fox or Nagy when he spent valuable draft capital on 2 1st round QBs. Instead he let both coaches say Mike Glennon and Andy Dalton 2 castoffs from other teams should start ahead of the rookies. Neither rookie QB was protected by the guy that drafted them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lemonej said:

If you keep track of what both Mooney and Fields have said about this coaching without directly referring to the previous staff, you can tell something was amiss.

The part that keeps me scratching my head is, this team trade a lot of draft capital to move up and draft Fields and he gets no reps with the 1s during TC, if I were a GM that made that sacrifice and realized that was happening, Nagy would have been in my office and issued an ultimatum. That's why Pace got fired because didn't assert his will on Fox or Nagy when he spent valuable draft capital on 2 1st round QBs. Instead he let both coaches say Mike Glennon and Andy Dalton 2 castoffs from other teams should start ahead of the rookies. Neither rookie QB was protected by the guy that drafted them.

exactly. Pace wasnt the BEST talent evaluator, but even worse, he was a good team player. He'd probably be an excellent assistant GM. But he served the coaches, and this is an inversion of the pecking order. The result? Egotistical coaches with no boundaries who fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×