2014 NFL Draft Open Thread

adam

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing a lot of love for Louis Nix but the comments I heard about him earlier to day by Greg Cosell of NFL films may be the reason the Bears passed on him. He stated that when he watched tape on Nix that he was on the ground too much. Mayock commented that Nix should play at 330 because he seems to get tired and loses leverage. Those types of comments and the fact he had a torn meniscus might be the reason why the Bears passed on Nix.

Several teams passed on him, we see the big names and think thats the guy, they work them out and got someone they wanted. It is not a perfect system(evaluation). I too, had other names I preferred but they did address a need. S is still a huge need,chances of finding a starter yet is pretty slim. I never expect a team to address all needs in the offseason and it looks like the one position that got sidestepped . You have to let the draft fall to you and all the good prospects dropped in the first round. Lets wait and see.

I've been calling for 2 DTs early all offseason. These 2 weren't the names I wanted, but I trust they see something in these guys, whereas all I see are highlight tapes and read scouting reports.

Ego from all I've read has a pretty good chance to be a real good run stuffing 1 technique in the NFL. Probably not as solid as Jernigan but he was gone. You can make the argument that it should have been Nix if they wanted a run stuffer butttt the Bears did work him out and obviously didn't think he'd be a fit.

Sutton is a very interesting cat. I think it's worth noting that his coaches were the ones who asked him to put on the weight, so I don't think we're really dealing with a lazy kid here. If the Bears feel he can commit to getting back around his 2012 playing weight he could be a steal. Could be a very solid pass rusher.

All in all I of course like the thought process of going DT-DT and completing the overhaul of the DL

As for safety, I am again brought back to the quotes about Conte competing for his job. After I heard that awhile ago I had thought we'd wait till the mid rounds to grab one and that has proven to be true. I think we probably grab one with our first pick today, one of Vereen/Reynolds/Huff/McGil/Exum/Johnson/Purifoy...Or maybe even Pierre Desir who doesn't get talked about much as a FS but I think the conversion is certainly possible.

Looking at first 3 rounds overall it's looked a real interesting draft. I think the whole "2R talent in the 4th" quote I heard and keep throw out there is true. We're seeing a ton of guys who we thought would go in the 4th going way earlier than that and I think that's because those guys, while mocked in the 4th, have 2R talent.

Cannot believe they passed on DeAnthony Thomas. Would have been a PERFECT fit. Somebody who can catch passes, return kicks, and run the ball. So freakin pissed.

Pretty sure they wanted a tougher back, which Carey is. Phil or Trestman, I don't remember who, said pass protection was key and I'm reading Carey is one of the best pass protectors in the class.

Improved maturity is also evident in his pass protection, where Carey ranks among the best in the class. Good awareness to locate blitzing defenders. Squares his shoulders and delivers a forceful blow or effective cut-block.

Three of Bears' five picks have relatives who played in the NFL: Fuller's brother Corey plays for the Lions, Sutton' father played in the 80s, now Vereen.

Hope he surprises us and can compete for a starting job. There are still several LBs left that could add some depth in the M.