Season over

Alaskan Grizzly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice perspective Adam...

I think had this happened against any other team, we'd be a little less doom-y. It's just so painful to see it happen over and over again with GB.

But, there are still 12 game to play.

I was pissed too, but after watching the game again, the outcome looked much worse than it actually was.

Did anyone see the MNF game, looks like NE is dead too?

Cutler is such a polarizing figure that he has to be perfect not to be scrutinized. He cannot throw an INT. If he does, its Mr. Hyde, we are done, can't win with him at QB, etc, etc. I get it, the INTs sucked, but QBs throw picks. He is on pace for 16 INTs, 40 TDs and over 4,000 yards with 66% completion%. I will take that every year. Also, we have faced some great defenses this year, BUF (10th), SF (2nd), NYJ (3rd), and GB. Everyone said GB's defense sucked, yet they held Detroit to 10 pts on offense and we scored 17. Since the 2nd half of their NYJ game, GB's defense has only allowed 30 pts (10 quarters).

A few interesting note: 3 of Cutler's picks have been on 1st Down (other one on 3rd Down). All have been to the right side of the field; 3 have been when we are trailing, and 1 when tied. Something to watch going forward. For the 3 on first down, if they have 8 in the box, are we throwing into the coverage, not doing a good enough job selling the run, etc?

one thing that I've always noticed for the past 5 years is every Monday morning we are making excuses for or researching Jay Cutler's interceptions

Every team does. If I'm a Pats fan I'm doing it for Brady as well. Bottom line is QB's can only do so much on their own. Look at Brees record so far this year, look at Brady right now with crap oline and crap weapons around him. The very best play in consistent systems and have steady protection. Heck, look what happened to Eli last year when his oline deteriorated. My whole point to Cutler is why waste resources on finding another guy, when the one we have is fully capable of being a top 6-10 QB. Go with that and spend rest of the resources on other areas and ensure we put the right systems around him and maybe then he can be catapulted to a higher level. We are getting there from an offensive side but defensively so many holes to plug.

This takes me all the way back to week 1 when the Bears would be "lucky to win 4 games"...C'mon AG, I know you hate Cutler, but the season is far from over. It's still week 4 for fucks sake.

I will say that it looks bleak though. The pass defense, including the pass rush, was awful.

Just look at the two HOME games in how I have a hard time in trusting Jay. So far, of the four played, he's been at his worst in both of them. How can that be? On your home turf? That, I find, is inexcusable.

And in both the losses the D played poorly. Interesting coorelation. Again how is that? From my layman observations the defense appeared to have been improving but Sunday put an end to that. I read somewhere that Briggs said no blitzes were scripted or called for this game. Really? I know Rodgers is good eluding the rush but as of recent I'm pretty sure Willie Young was leading in sacks. Why wouldn't you at least try to pressure Rodgers to throw a bad pass to the awaiting arms of the int leader Fuller? Shoddy management...

Every team does. If I'm a Pats fan I'm doing it for Brady as well. Bottom line is QB's can only do so much on their own. Look at Brees record so far this year, look at Brady right now with crap oline and crap weapons around him. The very best play in consistent systems and have steady protection. Heck, look what happened to Eli last year when his oline deteriorated. My whole point to Cutler is why waste resources on finding another guy, when the one we have is fully capable of being a top 6-10 QB. Go with that and spend rest of the resources on other areas and ensure we put the right systems around him and maybe then he can be catapulted to a higher level. We are getting there from an offensive side but defensively so many holes to plug.

How do you explain Rodgers winning it for GB when obviously Lacy was not a factor? And their D, for the most part, was almost as inept as ours? If not for Jay they wouldn't have had two additional scoring opportunities.

Just look at the two HOME games in how I have a hard time in trusting Jay. So far, of the four played, he's been at his worst in both of them. How can that be? On your home turf? That, I find, is inexcusable.

And in both the losses the D played poorly. Interesting coorelation. Again how is that? From my layman observations the defense appeared to have been improving but Sunday put an end to that. I read somewhere that Briggs said no blitzes were scripted or called for this game. Really? I know Rodgers is good eluding the rush but as of recent I'm pretty sure Willie Young was leading in sacks. Why wouldn't you at least try to pressure Rodgers to throw a bad pass to the awaiting arms of the int leader Fuller? Shoddy management...

The D didn't really look that improved the last few weeks. Week in and week out I always made a post about the "Soft spot in the zone" that teams continued to exploit. Rodgers and the Pack just so happened to exploit that more.....Run defense appears to be much better this year but now this old scheme is just not working in the pass game.

I'm not sure we have much of a home field advantage to be honest. The fans at soldier field are a buncha knuckleheads who don't know when to get quiet. I remember a few years back going to a game where they literally had to put it up on the megatron "Quiet Offense at Work".....I believe it was even brought up by Lovie.....Now I haven't really paid attention to it so far this year but ya, if the knuckleheads still don't know how to cheer than there's no home field advantage.

Jay still looked rather good sans a few throws. And that was without BMarsh being at 100% and only catching 2 balls.

Like Adam pointed out, this is a game they shoulda won even with those INTs thrown.

How do you explain Rodgers winning it for GB when obviously Lacy was not a factor? And their D, for the most part, was almost as inept as ours? If not for Jay they wouldn't have had two additional scoring opportunities.

Cutler would've been just as effective vs our defense playing like that.

I watched the Morgan INT, and for some reason Morgan seems to cut his route short (almost stops) and then just lunges towards the ball. In any kind of inside route you have to beat the defender (who is over the top) to the ball and use your body to shield against that type of defense, and he clearly did not do that. If Morgan runs thru, the defender would have to run thru him to get the ball and it would've been DPI. Also, the defender broke on the route really early because Morgan telegraphed it pretty hard. Still a bad throw, but not the best route either. Cutler clearly throwing to a spot with the LB clearing out to cover the flats. He did not expect the DB to be there.

Like Adam pointed out, this is a game they shoulda won even with those INTs thrown.

And without some of the mistakes he made against Buffalo, they should have one that too. That's the point I've been making.

And in regards to 'home field', it's the place you play half your 16 games and have access to pretty much whenever you need. I don't care if the fans are bone heads (or whatever you called them) shouldn't be a factor.

And without some of the mistakes he made against Buffalo, they should have one that too. That's the point I've been making.

And in regards to 'home field', it's the place you play half your 16 games and have access to pretty much whenever you need. I don't care if the fans are bone heads (or whatever you called them) shouldn't be a factor.

Crowd noise is about the only factor that makes home field advantage. When you're on the field what other advantage is there?

Here's a thread and an article that talked about it a few years ago....Again I will add that I'm not sure if it's still a problem or not, but it most certainly had been.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/view....php?p=14602331

If not for Jay, one of the picks was on Marshall. Have you heard Trestman talk about it. He threw one pick, it happens. Big deal. Guy is on pace for 40 TD's.

Wait, we should have won this game? How? We never stopped them?

If not for Jay, one of the picks was on Marshall. Have you heard Trestman talk about it. He threw one pick, it happens. Big deal. Guy is on pace for 40 TD's.

Really? You think Jay had NOTHING to do with the one Int you claim BM was at fault for? I haven't heard Trestman talk about it but don't imagine he'd sacrifice Jay if he'd made the mistake.

The point again that I made was that of the two Int that Jay threw, not missed on the receiving end, ended up translating to scores for GB. That was two more opportunities they might not have had to score and were definitely two less opportunities our team had.

He won't make 40 TDs. Don't kid yourself.

Really? You think Jay had NOTHING to do with the one Int you claim BM was at fault for? I haven't heard Trestman talk about it but don't imagine he'd sacrifice Jay if he'd made the mistake.

The point again that I made was that of the two Int that Jay threw, not missed on the receiving end, ended up translating to scores for GB. That was two more opportunities they might not have had to score and were definitely two less opportunities our team had.

He won't make 40 TDs. Don't kid yourself.

Trestman was quoted multiple times indicating that Marshall was supposed to run a hook route and he ran a hook and go route again. Marshall even apologized to the media yesterday for ignoring them and said he has to work to get better, etc. Week 1, Bennett, while not the same quotes, had similar quotes and you could even see Bennett apologizing to Jay immediately after the pick was thrown (1 of the 2 picks in the Buffalo game). You have to watch the game. A good offense isn't all on the QB...are they a crucial part, certainly, but it isn't the only thing and its no secret the very best offenses have consistent personal and consistent systems and are able to outrefine the rest of the league because they are more synchronized, etc.

This offense in general has been more synchronized then a year ago but its still growing. It is early in the 2nd season of the system.

Crowd noise is about the only factor that makes home field advantage. When you're on the field what other advantage is there?

Here's a thread and an article that talked about it a few years ago....Again I will add that I'm not sure if it's still a problem or not, but it most certainly had been.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/view....php?p=14602331

several studies say the strongest home field advantage in most sports is the way the referees call games.

In regards to INTs, some are on the QB and some the WR. The one to Marshall was obviously a miscommunication on a timed route. Who's fault that was? I'd blame the WR. You will see those from time to time. In the NFL, you have to throw anticipated routes especially when playing man instead of zone.

Right now, some of the best Brees/Brady look average or even horrendous in there last prime time games. If football was easy and perfect as we want, would it really be fun to watch? We watch because its a roller coaster ride with bumps and turns. Hoping that it was put together with an awesome ending and not falling off the track.