Trestman Blames Cutler for Lack of Runs

DABEARSDABOMB

He didn't directly say it, but reading between the lines, it would appear that the QB was calling an awful lot of pass plays vs. rushes. I still then say, who was not calling the deep balls in the first 5 games cause that certainly wouldn't appear to be Jay's style. I wonder when we see Trestman get more involved in the play calling. Remember, last year he called the plays and this year I believe it is Kromer.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/30556527-41...ml#.VEaGk_nF92I

He didn't directly say it, but reading between the lines, it would appear that the QB was calling an awful lot of pass plays vs. rushes. I still then say, who was not calling the deep balls in the first 5 games cause that certainly wouldn't appear to be Jay's style. I wonder when we see Trestman get more involved in the play calling. Remember, last year he called the plays and this year I believe it is Kromer.

The first half the Offense looked like they didn't know whether to shit or steal second base. I heard an interview were Trest said two plays were changed from run to pass in the first half.

Even if it was 4, that is not enough. RUN THE freakin BALL. It will open up the pass. Everyone knows MIA has a good pass rush and our Oline was just put back together for the first time this week.

Beat the Dline up for the first two quarters running the ball. Get them tired. Forte is a hell of a back, use him. I played Dline in College. Pass rushing was our favorite.

Use the Oline to attack, on run plays the olinemen get to go after the Dlinemen, on pass plays its more of a receiving type of blow coming from the Dlinemen.

This is simple shit. I feel the Bears coaches see the nice shinny toys they have with BM, Alshon and Bennett and want to use them. Pass all over the field, its flashly.

DO WHAT DALLAS IS DOING!!!!!!!! RUN THE F$UC$KING BALL!!!! Then when the D doesn't know whether you are going to run it or pass it, hit them with the Flashly pass plays.

It seems like everyone knows we are passing first and then running. Keep the D second guessing what you are doing, Trestman and Kromer need to get a game plan together that has everyone 2nd guessing what they are doing.

To me, they are going to take the keys away and give him only 1 or 2 options at the line. I believe the almost every INT has come on an audible, which there was a "miscommunication".

Also, like I said in another thread, we seem to have become very predictable in our formations, and Cutler is back to starring down receivers:

After the game, Jones commented on the interception and explained how he the Dolphins prepared for Cutler and the Bears:

"After watching film all week we saw [Cutler] was looking where he threw the ball. He was always looking at his receivers and never looking off."

In Week 6, after the Bears lost to the Packers, Packers cornerback Tramon Williams said that in the Packers' film studies, they found the Bears to be repetitive and predictable in their formations. For instance, if the Bears lined up in a particular formation, they tended to throw the ball to the same place. Williams was able to recognize one of those formations and tip a pass to a Packers defender. Aaron Rodgers threw a touchdown pass on the ensuing drive.

If this is the case, shame on Trestman and Kromer. This is one of these easiest things to do. Show the same formation and change the routes, the motion, and the progression. This is literally football 101. We need to start putting some of the blame on Kromer as well.

It's interesting because not all that long ago, either when Martz or Tice were OC, many of us were wishing they'd let Cutler call audibles. Myself included . Now that he's had the chance, it's being revoked. I think this is a very valid "coaching moment" where the player obviously doesn't have the wherewithall to see the field and make good adjustments. (probably because he isn't looking at the iPad or surface or whatever :) ). So instead the coaches are re-taking control and making the appropriate adjustments. I think there is something to be said about his inability to effectively communicate the audible and his tendancy to appear to have tunnel vision when under pressure.

And one other thing. Whatever happened to this innate ability of his to throw on the run? That used to be one of his calling cards. He used to do pretty well with throwing out of the pocket but that doesn't seem to happen on purpose like it did in Denver. (granted it's been a number of years ago) but they could still design plays similar to how Steve Young used to play in SF. Oh by the way was a West Coast offense and at one point coached by Trestman .

It's interesting because not all that long ago, either when Martz or Tice were OC, many of us were wishing they'd let Cutler call audibles. Myself included . Now that he's had the chance, it's being revoked. I think this is a very valid "coaching moment" where the player obviously doesn't have the wherewithall to see the field and make good adjustments. (probably because he isn't looking at the iPad or surface or whatever :) ). So instead the coaches are re-taking control and making the appropriate adjustments. I think there is something to be said about his inability to effectively communicate the audible and his tendancy to appear to have tunnel vision when under pressure.

And one other thing. Whatever happened to this innate ability of his to throw on the run? That used to be one of his calling cards. He used to do pretty well with throwing out of the pocket but that doesn't seem to happen on purpose like it did in Denver. (granted it's been a number of years ago) but they could still design plays similar to how Steve Young used to play in SF. Oh by the way was a West Coast offense and at one point coached by Trestman .

It has kind of came out subsequently that we are talking about 2 particular runs turned to pass so we'd have 4 vs. 2, which isn't a big deal. It seems that the bigger issue is the predictability of our play calls and the fact that Cutler might be staring down the targets as well. Both of which are problems, one of which is on coaching, the other on our team. Trestman also seemed to indicate the problem wasn't with the audibles, rather, he just wanted to focus more on the rushing the ball regardless of the looks they saw.

Excellent point regarding the bootleg. I have never understood why we don't maximize and design more plays to do this, but for whatever reason, we don't.

Kinda what we figured.

I remember during the game watching a highlight of one of Miami's TD's them showing Tanehill doing an effective progression read. His eyes stayed to the left for a long time, probably knowing he would eventually go right, but at the last minute going right. I was pretty impressed in watching this where apparently a second year guy gets it and a 9 year pro does not.

I like Cutler having the ability to change plays but if he's not doing this correctly take it away from him. Cutler has always had a tendency to think short term and not long term when it comes to game strategy. He's not likely to want to stick with running the ball early when it's only gaining 3yds per play.

We do tend to run the same plays from the same formations but if you watch carefully we will often run a different variant later in the game looking to catch a big play off of it. I personally think the offensive game plan was horrible. Backing out of running plays didn't help it either IMO.

We don't have a roster built with quick WR who can turn WR screens into big plays. Both of our WRs take a few steps to get up to speed. If I were a DB and I saw those plays I'd be ecstatic because I'd much rather try to tackle Jeffrey or Marshall behind the LOS while they're standing there versus defending routes downfield. If we'd established a deeper threat and the CBs we're playing way off the LOS then ok, but they weren't. So why did we keep calling those plays?

We also call plays that are designed to flood a zone or area of the field and then in theory Cutler should read how the defense reacts and go to the open guy. So yes, he'll often be staring at one side of the field. What else is happening when they line up triple WR to one side in a bunch? The question, or problem, is if Cutler is taking the quick read as he should? It's always hard for me to sort that out in a TV broadcast.

Against Miami we did much better with Forte when he came out of the backfield he continued on a route. This was far more successful than against Carolina where he often just stopped waiting for a check down pass and was easy pickings for the LB to tackle for little gain. I never understood why he wasn't running a route when he came out of the backfield against Carolina's LBs.

I realize our Oline has suffered through a lot of injuries but what happened to all the running plays with pulling guards and tackles out on the edge? Maybe we're running them and I'm missing it. Those were very successful last year and I don't recall seeing much of them this season. I felt like those plays helped slow down the edge rushers a bit. Helpful for a guy like Mills who struggles with speed rushers.

I was calling for it all offseason: We need a speed element to our offense. Marshall and Jeffrey are great and draw attention but we have nobody who can really take advantage of all that open space. Forte is not a quick twitch speed guy either. I have no idea what happened to Santonio Holmes but he's damn near invisible. I thought he'd do this for us but is Cutler ignoring him or doesn't he run the routes well enough? Or don't we have him running the right routes to take advantage of that? Bennett is great to have as a TE but he's not going to scare a defense either. Will Marquis Wilson finally open up that element in a couple weeks?

Use Ka'Deem Carey more. He's done well enough to get some more run plays. Take some of the load off of Forte because he's been our best weapon and we need him long term yet he's already banged up enough to need days off.