Ernie Accorsi

'TD'

His hire makes me want to go back and watch the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino. If I remember right, he quit over Irsay trading Elway.

I'm trying to read up on the Panther's GM that he helped them hire in 2012.

From the Presser Ernie will be making recommendations and involved in the interviewing process.

The decision will be from Ted and George.

George stated that ALL personnel decisions will be the GM and HC.

Why is Ted involved??? They skirted around the question about Ted being held accountable. George said they looked at everyones Body of work......What has Ted done to make his body of work look so good??

If its the stadium I think he failed.

From the Presser Ernie will be making recommendations and involved in the interviewing process.

The decision will be from Ted and George.

George stated that ALL personnel decisions will be the GM and HC.

Why is Ted involved??? They skirted around the question about Ted being held accountable. George said they looked at everyones Body of work......What has Ted done to make his body of work look so good??

If its the stadium I think he failed.

Ted's the president, and sounds like he is quite involved and will be still. Atleast that's what I took from some of their answers. He sounded heavily involved in talks of getting rid of Emery and Trestman. I'm guessing he is good at pushing off blame to others.

Thankfully, George paraphrased, 91 year old Virginia McCaskey was pissed. I didn't take away much confidence from the conference.

Ted's the president, and sounds like he is quite involved and will be still. Atleast that's what I took from some of their answers. He sounded heavily involved in talks of getting rid of Emery and Trestman. I'm guessing he is good at pushing off blame to others.

Thankfully, George paraphrased, 91 year old Virginia McCaskey was pissed. I didn't take away much confidence from the conference.

Im sorry but i was excited before the presser, now Im back to where I was before they fired Emery and trestman(i do think anyone will be better than Trestman)...... George McCaskey should be hiring a Head of Football Operations.

They should not be making the decision on who the GM will be. They also said they would consider a HC who would be the GM.....are they out of their minds????

Same shit different day............

I think it is more that the football decisions really are outside of Phillips ultimate control and that is why he has stuck around. What he does is the bus ops side and while his title is CEO, the owners view him in a different light. Phillips and George both clearly know that they aren't guru's of football.

Last time around we had a clown consulting firm helping us. Now we have a legit, top end NFL mind helping them with the search. Major coup and this whole day has been a true sign of a change at halas hall. On a sidetone, I'mr really warming up to Ballard or the Ravens assistant and am also pretty high on Toub / Arizona DC / Rex Ryan. The more I think about what Ryan was given and what he accomplished, I at least have confidence we will bring back the intensity and fear of playing in Chicago. I also think we could benefit from things he learned from his experience in New York.

Originally I was against Ballard cause he has Chicago ties, however, the more I've heard from national pundits and the references to NFL rockstar, etc, the more I think he'd be a great hire.

Really a tremendous move. Major coup and a great decision. His most recent hire, Tom Coughlin, worked out pretty good for the Giants!

Also, Ernie oversaw the hiring of the Panthers GM a year or two ago and found a GM who was able to work with Ron Rivera, etc. I'd say to date was a relatively successful hire (given what they have done past two years).

Agreed.

The briniging in of Accorsi is admission that they know not what they are doing. Accorsi is a legit football man. They will let him find their GM and or HC. Then leave them be.

I think it is more that the football decisions really are outside of Phillips ultimate control and that is why he has stuck around. What he does is the bus ops side and while his title is CEO, the owners view him in a different light. Phillips and George both clearly know that they aren't guru's of football.

Last time around we had a clown consulting firm helping us. Now we have a legit, top end NFL mind helping them with the search. Major coup and this whole day has been a true sign of a change at halas hall. On a sidetone, I'mr really warming up to Ballard or the Ravens assistant and am also pretty high on Toub / Arizona DC / Rex Ryan. The more I think about what Ryan was given and what he accomplished, I at least have confidence we will bring back the intensity and fear of playing in Chicago. I also think we could benefit from things he learned from his experience in New York.

Originally I was against Ballard cause he has Chicago ties, however, the more I've heard from national pundits and the references to NFL rockstar, etc, the more I think he'd be a great hire.

One guy I see as a finalist is Marc Ross, Giants director of college scouting. He is an Accorsi guy and was a finalist for the Bears in 2012. He also was brought in by Seattle and Indianapolis to interview for GM at the same time. All 3 passed on him, so there has to be some reasoning in that. He has brought in some talent to NY and they won a couple of Superbowls 2007,2011. Any thoughts?

I think we are on the same page. From the presser Teddy came off to me as an arrogant prick, but George did the right thing by bringing in a consultant with a very legit and impressive background. I think Ernie is going to line up the candidates, sit through the interviews and ultimately place a candidate before George and Ted who he thinks should be hired. I'd like to think George will take the advice of someone with skins on the wall over that of his bean counter. Acorsi has forgotten more about football that Teddy will ever aspire to know. Hub and Bernstain said on the radio today that perhaps once the dust settles on the new hires Teddy will be put out to pasture ala Master Gardener Mikey McCaskey. As someone else said this needs to play out, but I feel much much better with Ernie Acorsi involved.

Im sorry but i was excited before the presser, now Im back to where I was before they fired Emery and trestman(i do think anyone will be better than Trestman)...... George McCaskey should be hiring a Head of Football Operations.

They should not be making the decision on who the GM will be. They also said they would consider a HC who would be the GM.....are they out of their minds????

Same shit different day............

Ernie has game and is in the room. They didnt hire him as a figure head, his advice will be taken, it is totally different. George has accepted responsibility and let the games begin.

So for those of you bashing George / Phillips. Does anyone seriously think that Ted / George are going to turn down the candidate that Ernie recommends at the end of the day? Yes, the final decision is with the owners but if people think these guys are going to complete ignore what comes out of Ernie, than well, I think you all are crazy.

Also, Pixote, not sure if it was in this thread or another thread, but your post was spot on regarding not trusting them to hire GM, than why trust them to hire football czar either. At the end of the day they made a significant move and are acting much differently than in years past. For now, they get the benefit of the doubt for me and I'm excited about that.

The football czar/president is completely different animal in my opinion. The whole idea of that is that they have a proven track record. Their results are available. For any questions, the former owners,presidents, and subordinates that they worked for/with previously as a GM can be consulted.

Most GM candidates are mostly scouts or directors of scouts. All of their work filters through a GM, and the GM ultimately makes all of the decisions. There's no track record, so it's more of a crap shoot. Only the results of the guy above them and word of mouth and their interview can be used for the hire.

If a football czar was hired a GM, he would been there for mentoring and to help the new GM make the transition from scouting to GM easier over the years. That makes Phillips and McCaskey's decision even more important. They HAVE to get some one prepared now.

I imagine Accorsi will make suggestions and help them through the selection process. I just don't think he will say, "Hire this guy."

They also said they'd be open to hiring a HC before the GM if the "right guy" was found.

Sorry, this is the same stupid management that got them where they are today.

Fine, use Earnie to pick the right GM and have him pick the HC. I can live with that and we're better off regardless without Nerdman running things.

But I'd really like it if our CEO knew the first thing about football. That would be nice.

So for those of you bashing George / Phillips. Does anyone seriously think that Ted / George are going to turn down the candidate that Ernie recommends at the end of the day? Yes, the final decision is with the owners but if people think these guys are going to complete ignore what comes out of Ernie, than well, I think you all are crazy.

Also, Pixote, not sure if it was in this thread or another thread, but your post was spot on regarding not trusting them to hire GM, than why trust them to hire football czar either. At the end of the day they made a significant move and are acting much differently than in years past. For now, they get the benefit of the doubt for me and I'm excited about that.

You don't hire a GM and then coach and then hire a Football czar. You get Ted out of theire,Ernie and Greorge assemble a team of people to lead this franchise. I wanted real change, and I think we got a good amount of it.

The right way is to put a new head of football operation to change the entire culture of the Bears.

The culture Ted has created has sucked.

Ted should have no say in the next GM. He has failed at the last two. His body of work is terrible.

George doesn't need Ted involved. If Ernie is going to pick the guy why does Ted even have a voice.

I will say I like that they hired someone to help, the Bears way is not the right way.

I'm a Bears fan, so I'll deal with it. I hope they get a great one this time

Ted should have no say in the next GM. He has failed at the last two. His body of work is terrible.

That stuck with me too. George kept saying body of work for Emery and Trestman but not for Ted. His body of work BLOWS. He's accomplished exactly SQUAT! A big goose egg. He sucks at his job and they're even admitting it by bringing in Accorsi. So why does someone who sucks at his job still have a job?

I wish Ernie Acorsi would be interested in taking over as head of football operations for the team.

Then he could take care of that end of the business, selecting a GM himself, and let sweaty Teddy take care of the accounting.

Agreed..... It's actually sad that our Ceo/president who has been in the NFL for 30 years can't hire a GM on his own.

Its a joke. Like it's been said a million times....the Bears need a real ceo.......

I have no doubt in my mind that Accorsi is involved in every step at the moment. Whether it's hiring the GM or HC first...

He found the right GM to work with Chico in Carolina. And as bad as the Pantehrs were, they are off to the playoffs yet again...

I think there is more going on with leaving Ted as a figurehead in charge of Finance and nothing more. It just seems like it... Maybe I'm just hoping.

But at minimum, at least there more semblance of acting like a professional club.

They also said they'd be open to hiring a HC before the GM if the "right guy" was found.

Sorry, this is the same stupid management that got them where they are today.

Fine, use Earnie to pick the right GM and have him pick the HC. I can live with that and we're better off regardless without Nerdman running things.

But I'd really like it if our CEO knew the first thing about football. That would be nice.