What's the hold up?

BearFan2000

Just wondering if anyone knows what the hold up might be concerning John Fox? The day he walked away from Denver the connection to the Bears was made instantly. He wants to be here, we want him here, word is Bears are all in, he interviewed Wed and here it is Friday and only rumors that say it's pretty much a done deal. If he's the man, and the interest is mutual, why not just draw up the contract and get this thing announced? Senior bowl is coming up soon and it would be best to have the staff in place prior too. Are we waiting till after the Conf Champ games to do second interviews with coaches still in the playoffs? The Pace thing happened quickly after the interview. Is this going to be like the Pace hiring where we all thought it was Ballard, and next thing we know it's someone else hired? Could the delay be to give Fox time to assemble who his staff would be so they can be introduced at the same time? Maybe I'm worrying too much lol but I'm ready for this to be decided and we can have a better idea of what direction our team might be going.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the hold up might be concerning John Fox? The day he walked away from Denver the connection to the Bears was made instantly. He wants to be here, we want him here, word is Bears are all in, he interviewed Wed and here it is Friday and only rumors that say it's pretty much a done deal. If he's the man, and the interest is mutual, why not just draw up the contract and get this thing announced? Senior bowl is coming up soon and it would be best to have the staff in place prior too. Are we waiting till after the Conf Champ games to do second interviews with coaches still in the playoffs? The Pace thing happened quickly after the interview. Is this going to be like the Pace hiring where we all thought it was Ballard, and next thing we know it's someone else hired? Could the delay be to give Fox time to assemble who his staff would be so they can be introduced at the same time? Maybe I'm worrying too much lol but I'm ready for this to be decided and we can have a better idea of what direction our team might be going.

How do we know that Fox wants the job? Has he said that publicly?

Everyone needs to R E L A X

Let Pace do his job. He has only been on it for one week.

Peace :dabears

Fox isn't the no brainer everyone makes him out to be.

Under the circumstances I think he is. This team is reeling from past decisions. Those have given us one of the most incompetently run organizations in the league.

Fox is the steady, get things back on track guy. He may not be great (we can't know that) but he'll run the team better than Nerd did. He'll hire excellent coordinators. They want to work for him. He won't let the inmates run the asylum.

So, basically, this is a complete no-brainer at this point. They better get it done.

Under the circumstances I think he is. This team is reeling from past decisions. Those have given us one of the most incompetently run organizations in the league.

Fox is the steady, get things back on track guy. He may not be great (we can't know that) but he'll run the team better than Nerd did. He'll hire excellent coordinators. They want to work for him. He won't let the inmates run the asylum.

So, basically, this is a complete no-brainer at this point. They better get it done.

I agree that on paper he would appear to be a no brainer but its plausible that they think Quinn is the next big thing and they want to get him in the same room with Pace before making the decision.

I mean they can interview Quinn again in 3 days so its not a lifetime away.

Fox's resume is very similar to Love Smiths. If Love was available, and he didn't coach here to warp your opinion, would he be a no brainer as well?

If Love was available, and he didn't coach here to warp your opinion, would he be a no brainer as well?

Actually I wasn't a Lovie hater. Not that I'd want him back for various reasons but I believe this franchise made a mistake in dropping him for Trestman.

I also disagree that Lovie's resume is as good as Fox's. But whatever, it sounds like they're getting close and that's what I wanted to hear.

The error wasn't letting Smith go...it was hiring Trestman. We should have hired Arians.

In hindsight one of many managerial blunders by Emery.

Actually I wasn't a Lovie hater. Not that I'd want him back for various reasons but I believe this franchise made a mistake in dropping him for Trestman.

I also disagree that Lovie's resume is as good as Fox's. But whatever, it sounds like they're getting close and that's what I wanted to hear.

I think this is more to do with Pace and Fox ensuring they are extremely comfortable with each other as they get ready to work with each other and build this franchise into a perennial contender and hopefully occasional superbowl champion!!! The health and success of that relationship between the GM / Coach is a very crucial one (you obviously need talent) but by having that relationship you ensure the talent and people you bring together all fit into the greater scheme, etc.

Instant stability and credibility which will allow us to get the ship in the right direction and get to being a regular playoff team and a contender. That is really the first step.

Bingo.

Fox is a high floor guy. We know he won't reach Billicheck stratospheres...but he's more than good enough to go the distance.

Instant stability and credibility which will allow us to get the ship in the right direction and get to being a regular playoff team and a contender. That is really the first step.

Bingo.

Fox is a high floor guy. We know he won't reach Billicheck stratospheres...but he's more than good enough to go the distance.

I actually think Fox is a guy that with an elite QB can reach those stratospheres. I think Belli is 20 games under .500 in his career without Tom Brady where as Fox is above .500 without Peyton Manning.

Interesting...

By the way, I'm not trying to take credit away from Belliceck, I think he is great, but I ultimately think that to reach those levels (where you consistently win and win multiple championships), you have to have an elite QB. Don Shula might have been one of the only exceptions in the last 30-40 years.

I hear ya.

Actually, before the 200's...you could easily win with running and D. Looks at the Giants' second SB win vs the Bills. Miami certainly did it too as you mention (before Marino). Even Denver couldn't pull it off until they got Terrell Davis.

By the way, I'm not trying to take credit away from Belliceck, I think he is great, but I ultimately think that to reach those levels (where you consistently win and win multiple championships), you have to have an elite QB. Don Shula might have been one of the only exceptions in the last 30-40 years.

We don't have an elite QB now and given the team's history I doubt we'll have one in the future. McMahon wasn't even elite for his time. But we have a guy in Fox who can get the D back to where it should be, get ST's back from being shitty and get the O, depending on the coordinator they hire, back to being a good run team with a solid QB play.

We don't have an elite QB now and given the team's history I doubt we'll have one in the future. McMahon wasn't even elite for his time. But we have a guy in Fox who can get the D back to where it should be, get ST's back from being shitty and get the O, depending on the coordinator they hire, back to being a good run team with a solid QB play.

Agreed. I think with maybe one more solid RB the offense is set. Despite what many say here I think the OL is actually not that bad off. They are good for at least one or two more years. I'd say maybe one more OLman from the draft. (Queue Jason's response here....)

Agreed. I think with maybe one more solid RB the offense is set. Despite what many say here I think the OL is actually not that bad off. They are good for at least one or two more years. I'd say maybe one more OLman from the draft. (Queue Jason's response here....)

Getting Slauson back will be good for the unit. One thing to think about, the new scheme will require the OL to do different types of run blocking. IE Zone Read run blocking scheme if shannahan comes to be the OC.

They may feel there will need to be different personnel at some of the Oline positions to get the best results.

Idk man. Slauss coming back will certainly help, but they gave up 41 sacks. The 2012 team gave up 44 and that offseason everyone was calling for a whole new line.

The guy who gave up the least amount of those sacks, Roberto Garza, is the guy everyone wants gone too.

Idk man. Slauss coming back will certainly help, but they gave up 41 sacks. The 2012 team gave up 44 and that offseason everyone was calling for a whole new line.

The guy who gave up the least amount of those sacks, Roberto Garza, is the guy everyone wants gone too.

How many of those 41 sacks were due to Cutler holding on to the ball too long? I will say there were plenty of sacks that were not because of Cutler too tho.

How many of those 41 sacks were due to Cutler holding on to the ball too long? I will say there were plenty of sacks that were not because of Cutler too tho.

Jay for the most part got rid of the ball quick this year.

With all the screens and dump passes they did that number should be a whole lot lower.