Dowell Loggains hired as QB Coach

scs787

I very much doubt Jay is in the Bears long term future plans, Yeah he may be here next year simply cause he may be the best option this year. I don't think this staff like in years past are being assembled to cater to a guy who is likely not on the team after next year. May still not be on the team this year. Just because a coach has worked with or has a connection to Jay in any way means that was the reason he's here. It may be an added bonus that he has worked with Jay before and may have more to do with in forming the teams decision on whether to keep Jay or not rather than whether we hire a coach or not. I get a sense that this staff thinks differently than past staffs. Who came out from the get go saying "he's our QB" and paying all kinds of lip service compliments. Neither Pace or Fox were committal in the least when asked tells me they are not going to play into the public game. Both want to hold off deciding till the situation has been properly evaluated with the full staff. There has been a strong emphasis that everyone be all in and be on the same page. I think it's dumb to hire coaches just because they worked wit one player in a last ditch hope to salvage a player you are likely to dump at the earliest convenience. It is dumb for a staff to be assembled to cater to that kind of player. IMHO I feel like the Bears have had enough of dumb, and fired dumb and dumber on black Monday. From that moment it seems like the Bears are changing their culture and the status quo.

To be honest, I don't care if Jay is here next year or not… I really don't. As long as there is a clear plan of action going forward, If what's best for the team is to keep him this season and then cut/trade him and there is a purpose to that I'm fine with it. If the staff determines what's best for the team is to cut/trade him this year and start that rebuild process I'm fine with that too. My expectations for next season aren't Super Bowl, aren't playoffs, but want to see this team show improvement, direction, and have a sense that we are laying the foundation to rebuild the team into a perennial contender.

Wanted to add another scenario

There is a third possibility which is probably the longest shot, is that say we keep Jay and by way of miracle he finally gets it and starts to turn his career around. Again very long shot chance, there is so much playing against that, his long formed habits, his age he's in his 30's now, and the diabetes that may play more of a role in his random brain farts than we may know. QB's have turned things around late in their career but I don't see Jay being one of them. But I can't say it's impossible.

If we didn't hire a staff everyone loved people would be up in arms about this move.

Similar to people not wanting old man Shanny.

Are you serious?

Granted, the staffs hiring has bought them leeway. The ST coach is proof of that. Everyone was upset over DeCamillis' production, yet Rodgers hasn't fielded great ST play himself.

The "Are you serious part" is your comparison to QB coach hire to a HC hire.

Shannahan would have been franchise dooming catering, but Loggains is a positional coach. I haven't seen many comments on his positional coach hires outside of Donatell, so I'm not sure why you would expect it now. In fact, I'd argue that a QB coach with Cutler is irrelevant as he is uncoachable.

That said, the hiring of Loggains isn't necessarily an indication that Cutler will be around. It's also completely possible that he is hired on his own merit, even if it may lean towards retention.

If Cutler is retained, then my frustrations will be with Pace and Fox specifically and rightfully so.

Granted, the staffs hiring has bought them leeway. The ST coach is proof of that. Everyone was upset over DeCamillis' production, yet Rodgers hasn't fielded great ST

I don't think our ST coach had a chance. We had so many new people in new positions, it was almost impossible to field a good unit. Rookie punter, new long snapper, no Hester, new scheme, new gunners, new non OL blockers. We got better as the season progressed and will be better this year.

Are you serious?

Granted, the staffs hiring has bought them leeway. The ST coach is proof of that. Everyone was upset over DeCamillis' production, yet Rodgers hasn't fielded great ST play himself.

The "Are you serious part" is your comparison to QB coach hire to a HC hire.

Shannahan would have been franchise dooming catering, but Loggains is a positional coach. I haven't seen many comments on his positional coach hires outside of Donatell, so I'm not sure why you would expect it now. In fact, I'd argue that a QB coach with Cutler is irrelevant as he is uncoachable.

That said, the hiring of Loggains isn't necessarily an indication that Cutler will be around. It's also completely possible that he is hired on his own merit, even if it may lean towards retention.

If Cutler is retained, then my frustrations will be with Pace and Fox specifically and rightfully so.

Agreed about the QB coach. Perfect example is Pep Hamilton who Cutler didn't like is thriving in Indy. The key guy to this will be Gase and he will have full authority to choose how he deals with Cutler.Similar to when Fox allowed McCoy to bench Orton in favor of Tebow.

Coaches have the biggest impact on younger players. For the QB coach, I don't see this as catering to Cutler. This guy came from Cleveland and was in Tennessee, so was he brought in to help with Locker or Hoyer (after we sign one of them)? Also, I am sure he was told who he was coaching, and obviously knew the risk if it was going to be Cutler. In the end, I trust Fox more than I trust any HC in a long time to make the right move which is best for the team.

Guess I'm a little surprised by everyones response. This is a guy Cutler personally asked for a few years back who has no connection to Fox. I'm sure there will be some out there that will have a fit, surprised none of em are here.

I digress, carry on.

I just don't think this is Fox's MO to do that. Was anyone brought in to Denver specifically for Manning? There could be something to this, or it could be that he was the best available QB Coach out there. We will definitely see how this plays out. Obviously Cutler lobbied for him before. So now, just like we thought he had zero excuses left, now he is really down to zero.

I'm not a Joe D fan but I thought I had heard a number of reports throughout that with the way Emery was playing with the bottom of the roster, roster spots normally reserved for ST players were not. Had to make the job harder. I don't think Pace will take the same approach. I don't think Emery took the 3rd phase seriously.

I don't think our ST coach had a chance. We had so many new people in new positions, it was almost impossible to field a good unit. Rookie punter, new long snapper, no Hester, new scheme, new gunners, new non OL blockers. We got better as the season progressed and will be better this year.

Seems like he was once a very bright and up and coming mind. He obviously didn't get the most out of Jake Locker (although I don't know that anyone would have) and he is pretty experienced for a QB coach. Like the hire and I don't see the hiring of the QB coach as pandering to Jay. Jay hasn't been involved in this process at all and I still think that if I'm Fox and Gase, the first thing I do is try and contend with Jay while finding a young QB who you think you can groom. You don't just want to give up your QB and be stuck with pure crap. Very hard to win with pure crap at QB in this league.

You can win with Jay. Heck, I was watching the pro bowl highlights and saw Dalton and Stafford playing. In no way are they better than Jay. They are at the very least, equivalents. I know Stafford has put up some big stats in the past but I don't think very highly of him at all.