2 for 1

Stinger226

One of our biggest needs are at safety. McCourty is the top rated and will go for 8-10 mil a year.

From what I have read Moore will carry a 4-5 mil contract and another name I like is Searcy from Buffalo who will carry a 4-5 mil contract.

So why not fix the safety position for years to come with 2 young upgrades instead of grabbing McCourty?

I think someone already suggested this just couldnt find the thread it was in.

One of our biggest needs are at safety. McCourty is the top rated and will go for 8-10 mil a year.

From what I have read Moore will carry a 4-5 mil contract and another name I like is Searcy from Buffalo who will carry a 4-5 mil contract.

So why not fix the safety position for years to come with 2 young upgrades instead of grabbing McCourty?

I think someone already suggested this just couldnt find the thread it was in.

It's a thought, but if we are going to do a 2 for 1, wouldn't we sign a safety and someone from another position? Considering we need help and starters EVERYWHERE. Not to mention on offensive, we need to add 3 WR's, a starting offensive lineman, and depth everywhere.

With all these needs, hopefully we can add a safety and then hope Brock Vereen or Ryan Mundy can be ok in the other spot. Like SCS said, McCourty is a difference maker so you are ok giving him 8-10 million per year. Searcy and Moore are good players, but neither is a difference maker.

I guess it depends on how the coaching staff values the safety position. If it is valued, then you go after McCourty, if it is not a priority focus of the defense, you upgrade with solid acquisitions like Moore and Searcy.

I'll be happy if they just address it with Moore or McCourty. Last year, I was all about HaHa Dix in the draft, because they didn't get a quality safety in FA. I just hope it doesn't go ignored again.

It can't be, and I don't think it will be with this new staff. We will bring in at least 1 FA Safety.

I'll be happy if they just address it with Moore or McCourty. Last year, I was all about HaHa Dix in the draft, because they didn't get a quality safety in FA. I just hope it doesn't go ignored again.

McCourty 68 Ts-6 PD-2 INT-1FF age-27

Moore 49 5 4 2 age-25

Searcy 65 5 3 1 age-26

McCourty is a very good player, but I dont see the big dropoffs for the other two names I mentioned.

Moore was coming back from an injury from the year before and was not up to full speed yet, so I think he has the greatest upside of the 3.

Searcy played FS but is said to be better if playing in the box.

With the best DC in football, I see great upside for all three is they come here.

I would absolutely rather have the 2 instead of McCourty.

McCourty 68 Ts-6 PD-2 INT-1FF age-27

Moore 49 5 4 2 age-25

Searcy 65 5 3 1 age-26

McCourty is a very good player, but I dont see the big dropoffs for the other two names I mentioned.

Moore was coming back from an injury from the year before and was not up to full speed yet, so I think he has the greatest upside of the 3.

Searcy played FS but is said to be better if playing in the box.

With the best DC in football, I see great upside for all three is they come here.

I would absolutely rather have the 2 instead of McCourty.

Mccourty had Revis taking care of one third of the field for him too. Plus guarding the number one WR.

Mccourty had Revis taking care of one third of the field for him too. Plus guarding the number one WR.

only for one year...McCourty has been excellent for a while. He is going to cost more than i would rather pay and the 2 for 1 mentioned in this thread is a better way to go in terms of money

only for one year...McCourty has been excellent for a while. He is going to cost more than i would rather pay and the 2 for 1 mentioned in this thread is a better way to go in terms of money

I will take what we can get. Start off shooting for the stars, set a limit, and if the money exceeds that, then go to player two. I would not miss out on a S and would act swiftly. Mundy and Vereen are here for a while, so landing one difference maker and one proven vet would be a good start and maybe add a 3rd/4th rd pick.

I will take what we can get. Start off shooting for the stars, set a limit, and if the money exceeds that, then go to player two. I would not miss out on a S and would act swiftly. Mundy and Vereen are here for a while, so landing one difference maker and one proven vet would be a good start and maybe add a 3rd/4th rd pick.

It really is hard to say what mix would work the best for long term success. Im all in for bringing in better players and let the coaches make them a competitive team again.

If he's that good, why is New England letting him walk? Rule #1 in free agency: NEVER sign a player that New England lets go. I remember when we were thrilled getting Merriweather. He was a pro-bowl safety who was finally going to solidify the position. He sucked, was an idiot, and we quickly understood why the Hoody let him walk.

It's unfair to compare McCourty and Merriweather, but if you're going to spend 10 million a season on a guy, he needs to be a game-changer. You can't swing and miss when spending that much money.

I think we should just draft a safety in the 3rd round :banghead

If he's that good, why is New England letting him walk? Rule #1 in free agency: NEVER sign a player that New England lets go. I remember when we were thrilled getting Merriweather. He was a pro-bowl safety who was finally going to solidify the position. He sucked, was an idiot, and we quickly understood why the Hoody let him walk.

It's unfair to compare McCourty and Merriweather, but if you're going to spend 10 million a season on a guy, he needs to be a game-changer. You can't swing and miss when spending that much money.

I think we should just draft a safety in the 3rd round :banghead

Like you I have that NE paranoia Ty Law, Wes Welker,Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins as well as Merriweather come to mind. Not really sure how the Law firm is doing in Cinci but he's not setting the world on fire.

McCourty OTOH has that safety that used to be a CB on his resume and would be very attractive to DCs that want to be able to disguise coverages and use him in his former capacity.

Merriweather was just a tool. There's a reason he only got a 1 year deal despite being a 2x pro bowler.

McCourty on the other hand is a leader on defense, something this team severely lacks.

Just asking but, if the Bears sign McCourty and resign Peanut who do you think the defensive leader is? Right now without Peanut in the mix is Ratliff.

Just asking but, if the Bears sign McCourty and resign Peanut who do you think the defensive leader is? Right now without Peanut in the mix is Ratliff.

Vic Fangio is the defensive leader. Otherwise, the leader on defense is typically your best defensive player, highest paid, etc. Heading into last season I'd have said Briggs, Lamarr Houston or Jared Allen.

A better question is, who is our best defensive player?

Both, they'd be "leaderS". I don't necessarily think teams should have just that one guy who you would consider a "leader". In an ideal world I think you have a "leader" at every level.

Both, they'd be "leaderS". I don't necessarily think teams should have just that one guy who you would consider a "leader". In an ideal world I think you have a "leader" at every level.

Agreed. In 2005 and 2006, I'd say the leaders were Mike Brown in the secondary, Urlacher, and Tommie Harris. Mike Brown was always injured, but he was the best player in the secondary when he was on the field.