Interesting thought...

jason

Interesting thought...

Now that the Bears are continually surprising people with lesser talent and depth, what should the Bears do in the draft?

Part of me still wants to give Fangio everything. He's basically making chicken salad out of chicken shit every week. What would this guy do if the Bears got a few grade-A studs on defense?

DL

Sutton - Goldman - Jenkins appears to be the starting DL, and I don't think it's that terrible. They don't get a ton of pressure, but in a 3-4 that's not their primary focus. Jenkins could be gone because his contract is up. Gotta consider Ego in there as well.

LBs

So now the LBs. McPhee, McClellan, Jones, Acho. McPhee and McClellan aren't going anywhere. McPhee is the prime FA acquisition, and McClellan has done enough to impress Fangio. Jones has been less than stellar, and Acho, despite providing a glimmer of excitement early on, hasn't been impressing much either. I'd be happy with an ILB or OLB, but you have to consider Lamarr Houston and Willie Young in there somewhere. Houston doesn't seem to fit, and there is significant cap savings vs a minimal dead cap hit. He gone. Willie has one year left, hasn't been horrible, may as well let him ride it out as a pseudo-OLB. So that leaves ILB.

DBs

Porter-Rolle-Amos-Fuller. And Mundy, I guess. Porter has been a nice addition, and Fuller still has potential. That leaves us where we have been in the past, with questionable safety play. Amos has looked surprisingly good as a rookie.

Draft

So that leaves us with ILB and SS as primary concerns by pure depth-chart analysis. But we all know the Bears desperately need a pass rush in some way, so that means OLB and/or DE.

Option 1: RD1) Robert Nkemdiche, DE, Ole Miss, RD2) Scooby Wright III, OLB, Arizona

Option 2: RD1) Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama, RD2) Scooby Wright III, OLB, Arizona

In case you can't tell, I love me some Scooby Wright. Option 1 would give the Bears a huge shot of speedy pass-rush, putting Nkemdiche in the hole left by Jenkins, and Wright takes over for Acho. Option 2 replaces Jones with Ragland, who is an absolute monster with everything you want in an ILB, and Wright stays in.

Since the 3-4 is built on LBs, I'm more of a fan of option 2. Since I live in Alabama, and officiated Ragland from middle school to high school, I've seen enough of him to know he's a stud, and it just adds to my choice.

If you had to choose one of those two very realistic options, which would you choose?

I think they target pass rush...pass rush...pass rush. They also might look at CB or Safety. My presumption is they'll go with a LB or DB, however, that could change. Porter has been exceptional, however, he's a free agent and is injury prone. I honestly don't know how much we can / should count on him in the future.

Interesting thought...

Now that the Bears are continually surprising people with lesser talent and depth, what should the Bears do in the draft?

Part of me still wants to give Fangio everything. He's basically making chicken salad out of chicken shit every week. What would this guy do if the Bears got a few grade-A studs on defense?

DL

Sutton - Goldman - Jenkins appears to be the starting DL, and I don't think it's that terrible. They don't get a ton of pressure, but in a 3-4 that's not their primary focus. Jenkins could be gone because his contract is up. Gotta consider Ego in there as well.

LBs

So now the LBs. McPhee, McClellan, Jones, Acho. McPhee and McClellan aren't going anywhere. McPhee is the prime FA acquisition, and McClellan has done enough to impress Fangio. Jones has been less than stellar, and Acho, despite providing a glimmer of excitement early on, hasn't been impressing much either. I'd be happy with an ILB or OLB, but you have to consider Lamarr Houston and Willie Young in there somewhere. Houston doesn't seem to fit, and there is significant cap savings vs a minimal dead cap hit. He gone. Willie has one year left, hasn't been horrible, may as well let him ride it out as a pseudo-OLB. So that leaves ILB.

DBs

Porter-Rolle-Amos-Fuller. And Mundy, I guess. Porter has been a nice addition, and Fuller still has potential. That leaves us where we have been in the past, with questionable safety play. Amos has looked surprisingly good as a rookie.

Draft

So that leaves us with ILB and SS as primary concerns by pure depth-chart analysis. But we all know the Bears desperately need a pass rush in some way, so that means OLB and/or DE.

Option 1: RD1) Robert Nkemdiche, DE, Ole Miss, RD2) Scooby Wright III, OLB, Arizona

Option 2: RD1) Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama, RD2) Scooby Wright III, OLB, Arizona

In case you can't tell, I love me some Scooby Wright. Option 1 would give the Bears a huge shot of speedy pass-rush, putting Nkemdiche in the hole left by Jenkins, and Wright takes over for Acho. Option 2 replaces Jones with Ragland, who is an absolute monster with everything you want in an ILB, and Wright stays in.

Since the 3-4 is built on LBs, I'm more of a fan of option 2. Since I live in Alabama, and officiated Ragland from middle school to high school, I've seen enough of him to know he's a stud, and it just adds to my choice.

If you had to choose one of those two very realistic options, which would you choose?

Hey, count me on the Robert SCooby draft!!!!

Yeah, the Dline could use another body down there. Jenkins hasn't really done much since those back to back good games, hard to read what we have in Ego since he's out, Sutton has been quiet most of the year. Goldman is a keeper, the rest are meh.

I may be alone on this, but I really like the Acho/Houston rotation opposite Mcphee. As the season has gone on Houston has started to look healthier and looks more like the player we hoped for last year. I wouldn't hate to see a a faster guy brought in, but I'm not so sure it's needed.

I know Porter is injury prone, but dude is probably a borderline pro bowler right now. He's been fantastic. Fuller has turned it around as well. Callahan looks to be a guy as well but it's early. With those 3 and this staffs ability to coach up the secondary, I probably would wait a bit on CBs.

Amos is for sure a keeper, and I'm not sure what to think about Rolle. I'm indifferent on replacing him. The safety crop doesn't look all that great in the draft.

ILB looks like the other need to me. Staff seems to love SMC, Jones has been meh. Honestly Jonathon Anderson has looked better than Jones, and I would like to see more of him.

Unless Anderson steps up and wins a look for next year ILB and DL are what I'm looking for in the first 2 rounds.

By the way...I don't know what to think about a draft proposal from jason that doesn't have an olineman in it. Guess that is a good sign about where our oline is headed. That said, I'd still be okay going oline somewhere in the first two rounds. I want a beast of an oline.

Make no mistake, I'd love some OL help. I think we need both tackles, to be quite honest. Move Long back inside to where he's the best in the NFL. Between Slaussen, Grassu, and Long, that's a solid middle. But OT needs help. The talent in the first at our position of defensive needs, however, seem perfectly suited. And I'm really a strong believer in Fangio. I think he's done so much with average D talent that if given elite talent he makes the Bears a true title contender.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Bears go:

1. DE/OLB/ILB

2. DE/OLB/ILB

3. OT

4. OT/QB

5. If 4th Rd OT, pick QB. If 4th Rd QB, pick OT.

6-7. BPA

Make no mistake, I'd love some OL help. I think we need both tackles, to be quite honest. Move Long back inside to where he's the best in the NFL. Between Slaussen, Grassu, and Long, that's a solid middle. But OT needs help. The talent in the first at our position of defensive needs, however, seem perfectly suited. And I'm really a strong believer in Fangio. I think he's done so much with average D talent that if given elite talent he makes the Bears a true title contender.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Bears go:

1. DE/OLB/ILB

2. DE/OLB/ILB

3. OT

4. OT/QB

5. If 4th Rd OT, pick QB. If 4th Rd QB, pick OT.

6-7. BPA

The way I look at the draft, you want to address needs along with BPA. OLB, we will see McPhee, Houston, and Young next year under current contracts. The only talent I see who would be BPA to take is Myles Jack, who I see going top 10ish. ILB, we will have Jones and Anderson under contract, and I foresee McClellin re-signed. Jaylon Smith or Reggie Ragland would fill a semi need and Smith would be BPA with Ragland possibly getting that title. DE, we will have Ferguson (suspended 4 games), Sutton (I bet he has surgery on bicep offseason), Washington in the mix. DL is a major need, but I want that to get addressed with Muhammad Wilkerson. If we draft, I like Buckner or Nkimdiche. OT should be considered and OSU Taylor Decker may be BPA for RT.

With my process laid out, Id go:

1. Reggie Ragland LB - I do not see anyone other than DeForest Buckner DL or Taylor Decker OT availabe.

2. SS -Jayron Kearse, Jeremy Cash

3. OLB - Dadi Nicholas

4. OT

The way I look at the draft, you want to address needs along with BPA. OLB, we will see McPhee, Houston, and Young next year under current contracts. The only talent I see who would be BPA to take is Myles Jack, who I see going top 10ish. ILB, we will have Jones and Anderson under contract, and I foresee McClellin re-signed. Jaylon Smith or Reggie Ragland would fill a semi need and Smith would be BPA with Ragland possibly getting that title. DE, we will have Ferguson (suspended 4 games), Sutton (I bet he has surgery on bicep offseason), Washington in the mix. DL is a major need, but I want that to get addressed with Muhammad Wilkerson. If we draft, I like Buckner or Nkimdiche. OT should be considered and OSU Taylor Decker may be BPA for RT.

With my process laid out, Id go:

1. Reggie Ragland LB - I do not see anyone other than DeForest Buckner DL or Taylor Decker OT availabe.

2. SS -Jayron Kearse, Jeremy Cash

3. OLB - Dadi Nicholas

4. OT

FWIW, I've read that "You can bet on Wilkerson getting tagged." That pipe dream is probably merely that, a pipe dream. They're said to be letting Damon Harrison walk instead. Harrison would be really interesting. He's one of, if not THE best run stuffer in the league. Pairing him with Goldman would really sure up the run defense. Nkemdiche-Harrison-Goldman would be a pretty sexy. Not sure they go with that much bulk though.

A guy I got my eye on with Wilkerson probably off the table is Derek Wolfe. Missed some time due to suspension which will drive his price down a bit, but dude is an all around good 5 tech. Malik Jackson is another name I like. One of those 2 and Danny Treveathon would be a good start to the offseason. Hopefully they enjoyed their time with Fox and wanna reunite.

FWIW, I've read that "You can bet on Wilkerson getting tagged." That pipe dream is only that, a pipe dream. They're said to be letting Damon Harrison walk instead. Harrison would be really interesting. He's one of, if not THE best run stuffer in the league. Pairing him with Goldman would really sure up the run defense. Nkemdiche-Harrison-Goldman would be a pretty sexy. Not sure they go with that much bulk though.

A guy I got my eye on with Wilkerson probably off the table is Derek Wolfe. Missed some time due to suspension which will drive his price down a bit, but dude is an all around good 5 tech. Malik Jackson is another name I like. One of those 2 and Danny Treveathon would be a good start to the offseason. Hopefully they enjoyed their time with Fox and wanna reunite.

It is a pipe dream. I can see Fox bringing more Broncos over. B Marshall is another name I know you like who may get to test the market. Maybe they look to upgrade LB with a FA and draft DL.

DeForest Buckner -6-7 300 , athletic end that is stout against the run. Pass rush is unknown since Oregon uses him inside on pass situations or as a demolition ball to open space for LBs to be free.

or Robert Nkimdiche- same size as SF DE Justin Smith at 6-4 285.

Buckner/Nkimdiche - Goldman - Jenkins/Ferguson/Sutton

Ferguson and Sutton can both spell Goldman at nose.

Given the original scenario setup by Jason I'd take Nkemdiche/Wright. However I don't think Nkemdiche will last until our pick.

What we do really depends on what we get in FA. My top FA targets are Wilkerson and Brandon Marshall. I see SCS says the Jets will likely be tagging Wilkerson. Their QB situation is not good and there isn't an easy solution. They may very well go all in on defense seeing that as their best path to the playoffs but that won't leave them much room under the cap so they will have to make other changes.

Denver has more of a challenge because they have to re-sign Von Miller and Marshall. What they do all depends on what happens with Peyton Manning and Osweiller. Von Miller is going to break the bank. It is safe to say that Osweiller has already done enough to make himself a top FA target because finding any QB in FA that can play well is rare. Osweiller will get at least $10mil/yr if he hits the market and maybe as much as $15mil/yr. History has shown guys like Flynn and Charlie Whitehurst can get huge contracts based of just a few games work so as crazy as it sounds desperate teams do desperate contracts. I think we'll get a shot at signing Brandon Marshall the only question is if we'll choose to win the bidding war. I think we will.

That leaves DT/DE as the early favorite for 1st Rd pick and I'll say we end up Deforest Buckner. He could develop into the type of player that Calais Campbell is with the Cardinals. Scooby in the 2nd is good.

Given the original scenario setup by Jason I'd take Nkemdiche/Wright. However I don't think Nkemdiche will last until our pick.

What we do really depends on what we get in FA. My top FA targets are Wilkerson and Brandon Marshall. I see SCS says the Jets will likely be tagging Wilkerson. Their QB situation is not good and there isn't an easy solution. They may very well go all in on defense seeing that as their best path to the playoffs but that won't leave them much room under the cap so they will have to make other changes.

Denver has more of a challenge because they have to re-sign Von Miller and Marshall. What they do all depends on what happens with Peyton Manning and Osweiller. Von Miller is going to break the bank. It is safe to say that Osweiller has already done enough to make himself a top FA target because finding any QB in FA that can play well is rare. Osweiller will get at least $10mil/yr if he hits the market and maybe as much as $15mil/yr. History has shown guys like Flynn and Charlie Whitehurst can get huge contracts based of just a few games work so as crazy as it sounds desperate teams do desperate contracts. I think we'll get a shot at signing Brandon Marshall the only question is if we'll choose to win the bidding war. I think we will.

That leaves DT/DE as the early favorite for 1st Rd pick and I'll say we end up Deforest Buckner. He could develop into the type of player that Calais Campbell is with the Cardinals. Scooby in the 2nd is good.

Sadly I'm once again mistaken, and Marshall is a RFA. I believe all that means is Denver has the chance to match the offer, and with everyone else they have to resign, they might not be able to.

Trevathon is probably the more realistic of the 2 Denver ILBs to switch teams. I'm a fan of his as well. He and Wolfe would be a good start.

Buckner, Jack, and Nkemdiche are all currently projected to go in the top ten while we currently draft 17. I dont see any projections on Scooby right now besides being the 4th highest ILB on the board. His production screams late first round but it will depend on how his knee and ankle check out.

Yeah, I was looking at several mocks, and it seems that there are concerns about Nkemdiche. I was thinking that might cause him to drop to the middle of the first. Maybe not.

Yeah, I was looking at several mocks, and it seems that there are concerns about Nkemdiche. I was thinking that might cause him to drop to the middle of the first. Maybe not.

Nkemdiche is a fantastic athlete, reminds me of Aaron Donald somewhat. There is that question about their size holding up against the run but if gets the edge on a blocker it's all over. Getting to the QB is a priority in the NFL so I don't see him falling to us but if he did I'd be very happy to add him to the team. He's not a pure DE in terms of pass rushing but he is so good athletically that I think he can be used like McPhee and line up all over the Dline in 3-4 or 4-3 scenarios.