Houston/Young

scs787

On another board someone brought up trading Young and cutting Houston. I thought we should hang onto the both of them as I thought both had a good year. I decided to look up some numbers, and they were A LOT better than I thought.

The 2 of them combined for 13.5 sacks in 857 snaps. The 13.5 sacks would have been good for 4th in the league, and for comparisons sake, Watt and Mack who were 1 and 2 in the league in sacks both played over 900 snaps.

That duo was really underrated.

On another board someone brought up trading Young and cutting Houston. I thought we should hang onto the both of them as I thought both had a good year. I decided to look up some numbers, and they were A LOT better than I thought.

The 2 of them combined for 13.5 sacks in 857 snaps. The 13.5 sacks would have been good for 4th in the league, and for comparisons sake, Watt and Mack who were 1 and 2 in the league in sacks both played over 900 snaps.

I agree they both played well once they got there legs back. I think OLB is in good shape going into next season, but using a late round pick on speed project would be wise.

Here's another stat to throw out there.

Houston had 1 less tackle and 1 more sack than Mcphee. Mcphee played 188 more snaps.

Don't forget, the year before Houston got that big contract, he played OLB 80% of the time. I think a lot of people forget about that.

Here's another stat to throw out there.

Houston had 1 less tackle and 1 more sack than Mcphee. Mcphee played 188 more snaps.

Don't forget, the year before Houston got that big contract, he played OLB 80% of the time. I think a lot of people forget about that.

I'd say based on how they did this last year do what you can to keep them. Both came on strong late in the year despite pretty significant injuries. Especially for their size, age and position. And considering Willie still doesn't like being called an OLB. Now if we can just get Houston to stop doing that post sack dance.

I'd say based on how they did this last year do what you can to keep them. Both came on strong late in the year despite pretty significant injuries. Especially for their size, age and position. And considering Willie still doesn't like being called an OLB. Now if we can just get Houston to stop doing that post sack dance.

They're both under contract so they don't have to do anything to keep them, just stand pat. Young may have changed his tune after having some success in the role. Either way, I like Houston more than Young, and think Houston can play the role on his own so if Young wants to force his way out, I'm fine with that.

They're both under contract so they don't have to do anything to keep them, just stand pat. Young may have changed his tune after having some success in the role. Either way, I like Houston more than Young, and think Houston can play the role on his own so if Young wants to force his way out, I'm fine with that.

They seem to feed off one another well. Reminiscent of Ogunleye and Brown a few years back.

Of the two I think Houston should stay. Young did play better than I expected but is still out of position while Houston is not. Fangio is limited to certain play call when Young is in the ball game. You did see Young out in pass coverage every once in awhile but not very often. I would think you could trade Young and sign someone to produce similar stats but be better in pass coverage giving Fangio more play call options.

Either way if both did stay I would understand it and see what angle you are going with it.

I like them too, but the sacks are still underwhelming. If they played over 900 snaps they still would have only had, based on average plays per sack, about one more sack.

Sacks were down league wide....1 more sack would have tied them for 3rd in the league.

1. Watt- 17.5

2. Mack- 15

3. Houston/Young 14.5

Also, using average plays per sack.... Watt had a sack every 54.17 plays .....Lamarr Houston? 54.14.

Young brought the rate down by only getting one every 73 plays.

Sacks were down league wide....1 more sack would have tied them for 3rd in the league.

1. Watt- 17.5

2. Mack- 15

3. Houston/Young 14.5

Also, using average plays per sack.... Watt had a sack every 54.17 plays .....Lamarr Houston? 54.14.

Young brought the rate down by only getting one every 73 plays.

Yeah, but you are comparing two people to one!

I like the thought of seeing both come to TC with no lingering injury issues with both looking like they improved and got "their legs under them" as the season progress. An ACL and a torn achilles are both long rehabbing injuries and I hope they both get the chance to showcase their abilities come TC because they are under contract and this staff loves playing most of the roster.

You also have to factor in both players were coming off significant injuries this year, so it makes sense that both started off the year slowly and picked it up as the season went on. Young also had to learn an entirely new position. If you figure they come in next year healthier, they should be even better. Young probably could have had another double digit sack season. I would bring both back next year.

You also have to factor in both players were coming off significant injuries this year, so it makes sense that both started off the year slowly and picked it up as the season went on. Young also had to learn an entirely new position. If you figure they come in next year healthier, they should be even better. Young probably could have had another double digit sack season. I would bring both back next year.

It makes sense now why Allen started, because neither of these two were strong enough yet to take significant snaps. Once they got close, Allen became expendable. I think it would be be in their best interest to pencil them in for 2016. They became productive and it is one less hole to fill. They also have the opportunity to find a late round gem that can learn a year or two without added pressure of playing right away.

Two people who combined to play the snaps of one man.

Not sure how many sacks you were expecting out of guys who played 378 and 478 snaps respectively.

Do you think if the snaps are doubled to somewhere near JJ Watt's snaps that they would have double their respective sacks?

I'm just curious. I actually like them both, which is why I don't think the Bears should put too much emphasis on OLBs. I think the focus should be on two ILBs and a 3-4 DE.

Do you think if the snaps are doubled to somewhere near JJ Watt's snaps that they would have double their respective sacks?

I'm just curious. I actually like them both, which is why I don't think the Bears should put too much emphasis on OLBs. I think the focus should be on two ILBs and a 3-4 DE.

Possibly, but I'm not really trying to say they're better than Watt. You said you were underwhelmed by their sack total so I was merely pointing out why you shouldn't be.

Apparently it gets better.....

NFL has changed scoring on sack initially credited to #Bears LB Christian Jones Sunday, giving it instead to OLB Lamarr Houston.

With NFL scoring change, #Bears OLB Lamarr Houston had team-leading and career-high 8 sacks this season.

So that's 8 sacks in 379 snaps. 47 plays per sack. If he stayed on that pace, which I'm not saying he would, he would have had 20 sacks if he played the number of snaps Watt did.

To even already be in the top 25 in sacks despite only playing 379 snaps is pretty solid on its own.

Apparently it gets better.....

So that's 8 sacks in 379 snaps. 47 plays per sack. If he stayed on that pace, which I'm not saying he would, he would have had 20 sacks if he played the number of snaps Watt did.

To even already be in the top 25 in sacks despite only playing 379 snaps is pretty solid on its own.

That's awesome for a guy who played a bit more than half a season in his return from an ACL injury. Yes, he was available early on but clearly not moving as well as he did later. Some of that may have been him taking to the coaching and the position change back to OLB but we still have to be pleased with that performance. Get someone else besides Goldman with pressure up the middle and we'll be seeing even more from these outside rushers.

That's awesome for a guy who played a bit more than half a season in his return from an ACL injury. Yes, he was available early on but clearly not moving as well as he did later. Some of that may have been him taking to the coaching and the position change back to OLB but we still have to be pleased with that performance. Get someone else besides Goldman with pressure up the middle and we'll be seeing even more from these outside rushers.

With this thread in mind, do the Bears need to pay ANY attention to OLB in the upcoming draft?

If Houston and Young did as well as it appears, and McPhee was clearly a monster on an undermanned defense, doesn't that eliminate any talk of OLB? Aside from the obvious BPA guy falling multiple rounds, I can't see a reason the Bears need an OLB.

With this thread in mind, do the Bears need to pay ANY attention to OLB in the upcoming draft?

If Houston and Young did as well as it appears, and McPhee was clearly a monster on an undermanned defense, doesn't that eliminate any talk of OLB? Aside from the obvious BPA guy falling multiple rounds, I can't see a reason the Bears need an OLB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Both guys think the Bears go OLB...... I would think OLB isnt the biggest need right now.