Mike McCaskey Indicated rebuild will be longer

DABEARSDABOMB

McCaskey was on radio (today I think) and indicated based upon his discussions with Pace and Fox that they are still a ways away and this will be an extended process to rebuild the franchise from where it was and was going to take multiple more years. With that in mind, I think it makes it even more likely that you can't write-off the QB position for the Bears. It also points out why the Bears should be targeting as many potential playmakers as they could possibly find and when it comes to FA be picky that whomever you sign, either let it be a guy who is undervalued who you think has more upside than indicated or be someone young enough that fits into your longer term plans.

I also think it makes me more willing to move down / accumulate picks, etc. Additionally, if Bears brass truly thinks they are at least a year away from realistically competing for the playoffs, etc, than I think it makes me more willing to take risks on someone like Jaylon Smith (if he truly is there in the 3rd or if you are able to move down lower in the 2nd to get him).

McCaskey was on radio (today I think) and indicated based upon his discussions with Pace and Fox that they are still a ways away and this will be an extended process to rebuild the franchise from where it was and was going to take multiple more years. With that in mind, I think it makes it even more likely that you can't write-off the QB position for the Bears. It also points out why the Bears should be targeting as many potential playmakers as they could possibly find and when it comes to FA be picky that whomever you sign, either let it be a guy who is undervalued who you think has more upside than indicated or be someone young enough that fits into your longer term plans.

I also think it makes me more willing to move down / accumulate picks, etc. Additionally, if Bears brass truly thinks they are at least a year away from realistically competing for the playoffs, etc, than I think it makes me more willing to take risks on someone like Jaylon Smith (if he truly is there in the 3rd or if you are able to move down lower in the 2nd to get him).

If they truly believe that, then I can see it more as an option. I don't think it's right, given how close they were so often last year despite their horrendous defense, but I'm not running the team.

We pretty much all want a trade-down. If this is what they are doing, then I know I'm completely on board with a trade down to get as many picks as possible, and I echo your sentiments about Jaylon Smith.

If they truly believe that, then I can see it more as an option. I don't think it's right, given how close they were so often last year despite their horrendous defense, but I'm not running the team.

We pretty much all want a trade-down. If this is what they are doing, then I know I'm completely on board with a trade down to get as many picks as possible, and I echo your sentiments about Jaylon Smith.

It could also be the owner buying time from a media perception (downplay while you have the fresh regime to buy time in case they can't do it as quickly as they hope)? I just feel with modern medicine these days, Smith can rebound and it would be great to add two dynamic players like Smith and Myles Jack or someone else to this LB corp long-term.

It could also be the owner buying time from a media perception (downplay while you have the fresh regime to buy time in case they can't do it as quickly as they hope)? I just feel with modern medicine these days, Smith can rebound and it would be great to add two dynamic players like Smith and Myles Jack or someone else to this LB corp long-term.

could be trying to lower expectations or very easily could be reality.

If Pace and Fox are saying two more years then it definitely would change how I approach FA and the Draft. Makes sense on trying to trade Bennett, build for the future.

could be trying to lower expectations or very easily could be reality.

If Pace and Fox are saying two more years then it definitely would change how I approach FA and the Draft. Makes sense on trying to trade Bennett, build for the future.

Completely agree. To me it makes QB more of a priority and it also means I'm moving young / houston if I can to free up the spaces to give younger players opportunities (might even make me more willing to go another year with Shea since he is still pretty young and Fangio still likes him; a lot of reports lately that he was pretty damn injured the 2nd half of the season and that significantly impacted his play). Fangio raves about him and his (Fangio) track record is pretty good.

Completely agree. To me it makes QB more of a priority and it also means I'm moving young / houston if I can to free up the spaces to give younger players opportunities (might even make me more willing to go another year with Shea since he is still pretty young and Fangio still likes him; a lot of reports lately that he was pretty damn injured the 2nd half of the season and that significantly impacted his play). Fangio raves about him and his (Fangio) track record is pretty good.

If this really is a couple of years away you are right, QB is on the table. Earlier then some may like. The more I have thought about, if Eze is there at 11 he may be an option. I think he is going to be special in the NFL. The Bears need top end talent, and Eze will be a game changer. I get that Langford was good but he was a 4th round pick, its not like the Bears would be spending a 1st after spending a high draft pick last year on RB.

First round, game changer no matter what position will suit the Bears best long term.

Did two fanspeak mocks taking McCaskey's word of long haul. If the top QB falls, the Bears will have to consider it. Wanted to have an idea how the rest of the draft would play out.

Matt Miller: notable twitter scout

1-Carson Wentz QB

2-William Jackson CB

3-Chris Jones DT

4-Miles Killebrew SS

5-Scoobey Wright LB

6-Vadal Alexander G

6-Dadi Nicholas OLB

6-Jake McGee TE

7-Tyler Johnstone OT

CBS

1-Carson Wentz QB

2-Jarron Reed DT

3-Su'a Cravens LB

4-Jayron Kearse SS

5-James Bradberry CB

6-Willie Beavers OT

6-Anthony Zettel DT

6-Brandon Shell G

7-Josh Forrest LB

Did two fanspeak mocks taking McCaskey's word of long haul. If the top QB falls, the Bears will have to consider it. Wanted to have an idea how the rest of the draft would play out.

Matt Miller: notable twitter scout

1-Carson Wentz QB

2-William Jackson CB

3-Chris Jones DT

4-Miles Killebrew SS

5-Scoobey Wright LB

6-Vadal Alexander G

6-Dadi Nicholas OLB

6-Jake McGee TE

7-Tyler Johnstone OT

CBS

1-Carson Wentz QB

2-Jarron Reed DT

3-Su'a Cravens LB

4-Jayron Kearse SS

5-James Bradberry CB

6-Willie Beavers OT

6-Anthony Zettel DT

6-Brandon Shell G

7-Josh Forrest LB

Wow. That second draft would be ridiculous. Get a potential franchise QB, AND first day starters on the defense at three positions?! Reed would be great, Cravens would by dynamic, and Kearse would be a freak. And, hell, Bradberry/Zettel might even get in on the action.

Was is Mike or George McCaskey?

No. George is in charge. Mike used to be, but got ousted by Virginia on the Dave McGinnis hire announcement mess up.

i hope that answer is tongue and cheek.

little mikey may have 'looked' like the gardener at halas hall but his status and power in the organization and on the board was the same as it was before and after the mcginnis screw up.

that was proven when ted phillips had to refer to asking/saying mike mccaskey approved of getting rid of angelo at a press conference i believe.

in other words it was the same ole same ole before curious george was given the reins. i have hopes he is doing it right (he seems to be).

All that said, things have been different since George took the mantle. Sure, Mikey has his say, but I think George is spreading his wings... George really didn't take full reign until they let Smith & Angelo go.

i hope that answer is tongue and cheek.

little mikey may have 'looked' like the gardener at halas hall but his status and power in the organization and on the board was the same as it was before and after the mcginnis screw up.

that was proven when ted phillips had to refer to asking/saying mike mccaskey approved of getting rid of angelo at a press conference i believe.

in other words it was the same ole same ole before curious george was given the reins. i have hopes he is doing it right (he seems to be).

All that said, things have been different since George took the mantle. Sure, Mikey has his say, but I think George is spreading his wings... George really didn't take full reign until they let Smith & Angelo go.

i agree with you. since george was given the keys to the franchise i believe he has been the one calling the shots and mikey is really out of the picture unless proven differently.

i was commenting on mikey's role prior to george. all through the angelo era mike was calling the shots just not taking the heat from it which he left to sweaty teddy. phillips was the media punching bag taking the hits for mikes decisions.

Gtocha.

Yeah, those Mikey years left a LOT to be desired! Having him out of the picture and George in has been a positive so far.

i agree with you. since george was given the keys to the franchise i believe he has been the one calling the shots and mikey is really out of the picture unless proven differently.

i was commenting on mikey's role prior to george. all through the angelo era mike was calling the shots just not taking the heat from it which he left to sweaty teddy. phillips was the media punching bag taking the hits for mikes decisions.