What is Alshon worth?

jason

Suppose the discussion behind closed doors is contentious. Alshon is upset for one reason or another and he wants to move to NY to be with the rest of the former Bears (JK). Seriously though, what's he worth?

Typically, franchise tag = two 1st rounders.

I know the Bears are not in a position to rely on the WRs outside of Alshon, but suppose someone offered that deal? Or more?

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the max value the Bears could conceivably get for Alshon? Is there a team that:

A-Has enough future cap to take the salary hit,

B-Is close enough to contending that AJ would be their conceivable difference-maker,

C-Is deficient at the WR position

Teams, GMs, agents, coaches, etc., get fidgety when draft day approaches. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears have gotten some calls on the subject.

Suppose the discussion behind closed doors is contentious. Alshon is upset for one reason or another and he wants to move to NY to be with the rest of the former Bears (JK). Seriously though, what's he worth?

I know the Bears are not in a position to rely on the WRs outside of Alshon, but suppose someone offered that deal? Or more?

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the max value the Bears could conceivably get for Alshon? Is there a team that:

B-Is close enough to contending that AJ would be their conceivable difference-maker,

Teams, GMs, agents, coaches, etc., get fidgety when draft day approaches. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears have gotten some calls on the subject.

Wait: When was the last time a team gave 2 first rounders and paid a big contract for a non-quarterback??? Hershel Walker was a pretty big deal but I don't think there was a salary cap. Or any real free agency.

We might get this deal except AJ's salary cap is the biggest sticking point.

At the absolute best, we get one late #1 pick for him. That's being optimistic.

All of the above. The only problem is that we would have to sign and trade. No team is going to give 2 firsts for him.

I would believe it would be better if the team trading for him would want to negotiate the contract with Jeffery for better cap management because if the Bears signed him, that big signing bonus would be do immediately.

I would believe it would be better if the team trading for him would want to negotiate the contract with Jeffery for better cap management because if the Bears signed him, that big signing bonus would be do immediately.

My bad. I thought they had to be under contract other than franchise.

Given his relative unreliable health history and laissez faire approach to the team since BM left, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they were to shop him around for some value. Wouldn't be the least surprised (as you suggested) that the team has gotten some inquires along those lines. Maybe to sweeten the deal they could package Cutler? Surely that would garner some sort of 1st round(s) pick swap? (please note some of this was said in a sarcastical tone).

We'd be lucky to get offered a 2nd for him.

I think we'd get a 2nd for him and if push came to shove we might get a 2nd and a future 2nd for him. More likely would be a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and future 3rd. I'd rather sign Alshon at that point, but if he didn't want to be here, I'd be open to the alternative. It would mean we'd have to target a wideout early in the draft though.

Any idea of us getting 2 1st's for AJ are probably delusional. I also haven't read anything recently which indicated anything about the negotiations being hostile. All I've seen is tons of optimism about the two sides ultimately agreeing.