Rolle released

adam

Welp there goes my 2 cents. I thought they would keep him around to mentor the youngins.

In my projection, I had him gone. I think they wanted to give him maximum time to find a new team vs sucking the life out of him and making him a late offseason cut.

I also expect a few others to go soon.

Assuming cuts, Houston would save $4,020,000, Slauson $2,570,000, Young $2,500,000, and Wilson $1,671,000 are the biggest savings but Houston has the biggest dead money hit at $2,970,000, so I think he stays unless we find a trade partner.

Welp there goes my 2 cents. I thought they would keep him around to mentor the youngins.

Me too, but on the flip side opening up this extra cap space now could mean we have plans. That could be an extension for Long, or just some more players they want to sign.

This would make a lot of sense:

I highly doubt we go this route. We've said all along we want more team speed, better athletes, and at this point in his career Whitner is nothing more than a in-the-box safety. If we wanted a mentor we'd have just kept Rolle.

This would make a lot of sense:

That would make a TON of sense. I just hope we're not doing it to save money. Safety was a position of weakness entering the draft so it was great we added Deon Bush. But it's foolish to think Bush can start immediately. Behind him and Adrian Amos, we have a bunch of nothing.

Welp, I guess I was right about him not making the team. Just a little late on when it would actually happen :)

Signing Donte Whitner now makes no sense. If you needed somebody to mentor the rookies, then why in the world would you release Antrell Rolle?

Possibly because he didn't know Fangio's scheme well enough to mentor the younger guys. I could see a one-year deal for Whitner to do just that. Also, Whitner is 2.5 years younger, and has had much more recent success than Rolle.

Not that it will happen, and I am leaning towards letting the young guys play and get playing time instead of a vet who is not in long term plans taking away reps.

Welp, I guess I was right about him not making the team. Just a little late on when it would actually happen :)

Signing Donte Whitner now makes no sense. If you needed somebody to mentor the rookies, then why in the world would you release Antrell Rolle?

I don't believe in the mentoring business. You do want professionals to lead by example. The Bears don't want players to coach, they want players who can play. To me it comes down to this: Who is better? Rolle or Whitner? That's the only quesiton we are asking.

Until we make another move, this really doesn't make sense. You can't take the cap savings with you and we probably have more money than we can spend. And aside from a 4th rounder, we don't have anybody to replace Rolle.

Rolle is injury prone, old, and in the way of some rookies with potential. His salary was just a cherry on top.

I get what the FO is doing with the athletic, versatile safeties they're trying to get, but I wonder if it's a partial mistake. There is something to be said for the traditional slobber-knocker S who can destroy a RB in the hole or murder a WR going across the middle.

Rolle is injury prone, old, and in the way of some rookies with potential. His salary was just a cherry on top.

I get what the FO is doing with the athletic, versatile safeties they're trying to get, but I wonder if it's a partial mistake. There is something to be said for the traditional slobber-knocker S who can destroy a RB in the hole or murder a WR going across the middle.

Kid from Miami is that type of guy. In today's passing league ya gotta have some cover skills though as well. That's why I think Kearse went so late and Cash went undrafted.

Bush is a very hard hitting safety so we have that. He's not an in-the-box type like Cash is and given the 2 (or perhaps 3) players we drafted at S, if we wanted Cash we'd have taken him. As near as I can tell, Fangio wants his defense is built to have the Dline and LBs take care of everything in the box with the DBs providing the coverage over the top.

Amos had to make far too many plays in the box last year because ILBs either couldn't get off a block, ran to the wrong gap, or they over-ran the play (Christian Jones). The first thing we're all going to notice in game 1 is that our ILB actually make tackles around the line of scrimage.

Rolle saying in a statement that his injury was due to the surfaces at the Chicago training facility which are the worst he's ever been on. Also tells the SCORE that whoever he goes to, he hopes the Bears are on the schedule so he can "bust their ass."

F him.

Rolle saying in a statement that his injury was due to the surfaces at the Chicago training facility which are the worst he's ever been on. Also tells the SCORE that whoever he goes to, he hopes the Bears are on the schedule so he can "bust their ass."

Perfect, send Jordan Howard his direction early and often.