Jeffrey Bears far apart

AZ54

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000067...n-longterm-deal

It is now close to crunch time and we'll soon know what happens. Based on this report it seems Jeffrey's agent has released that the Bears are not offering anything close to what Jeffrey wants. It appears the Bears are settled in around $12mil/yr and Jeffrey wants much more. I presume that is around $14mil/yr.

Earlier in the offseason I put Jeffrey's value around $12mil/yr but these things often take on odd trajectories. I don't see Jeffrey belonging among the top 5 at all (obviously he's there at the moment based on the Franchise deal). I think he belongs somewhere among 6-10. Hilton sits at the top there but has the smallest guaranteed money followed by Baldwin with a similar deal. If the Bears are offering around $12mil/yr I'd say they are right where they should be and the bigger discussion is the guaranteed money. Jeffrey deserves more than 1yr (amount of annual salary) guaranteed IMO. How much more? I still think both sides will come to a deal but it will see the Bears able to move on after three, perhaps just two, seasons. That would mean a guarantee of around $24-25mil. Probably going to see the Bear want offseason workout guarantees too.

From www.overthecap.com here's the list of WR $/yr:

1) AJ Green $15mil/yr with $26.7mil guaranteed

2) Jeffrey $14.6mil/yr with $14.6 1 year deal

3) Julio Jones $14.2mil/yr with $35.5mil

4) D. Thomas $14mil/yr with $35mil

5) Dez Bryant $14mil/yr with $32mil

6) Ty Hilton $13mil/yr with $11mil

7) Doug Baldwin $11.5mil/yr with $12mil

8) Keenan Allen $11.24mil/yr with $20.6mil

9) V. Jackson $11.1mil/yr with $26mil

10) Fitzgerald $11mil/yr with $22mil

11) Maclin $11mil/yr with $22.5mil

12) Allen Hurns $10mil/yr with $16mil

13) R. Cobb $10mil/yr with $13mil

14) J. Nelson $9.7mil/yr with $11mil

I think all much ado about nothing until the deadline passes...

This has been a posturing clusterf&*( since the get-go...

And if nothing happens, let him play this year out and see how he performs...adjust accordingly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000067...n-longterm-deal

It is now close to crunch time and we'll soon know what happens. Based on this report it seems Jeffrey's agent has released that the Bears are not offering anything close to what Jeffrey wants. It appears the Bears are settled in around $12mil/yr and Jeffrey wants much more. I presume that is around $14mil/yr.

Earlier in the offseason I put Jeffrey's value around $12mil/yr but these things often take on odd trajectories. I don't see Jeffrey belonging among the top 5 at all (obviously he's there at the moment based on the Franchise deal). I think he belongs somewhere among 6-10. Hilton sits at the top there but has the smallest guaranteed money followed by Baldwin with a similar deal. If the Bears are offering around $12mil/yr I'd say they are right where they should be and the bigger discussion is the guaranteed money. Jeffrey deserves more than 1yr (amount of annual salary) guaranteed IMO. How much more? I still think both sides will come to a deal but it will see the Bears able to move on after three, perhaps just two, seasons. That would mean a guarantee of around $24-25mil. Probably going to see the Bear want offseason workout guarantees too.

From www.overthecap.com here's the list of WR $/yr:

1) AJ Green $15mil/yr with $26.7mil guaranteed

2) Jeffrey $14.6mil/yr with $14.6 1 year deal

3) Julio Jones $14.2mil/yr with $35.5mil

4) D. Thomas $14mil/yr with $35mil

5) Dez Bryant $14mil/yr with $32mil

6) Ty Hilton $13mil/yr with $11mil

7) Doug Baldwin $11.5mil/yr with $12mil

8) Keenan Allen $11.24mil/yr with $20.6mil

9) V. Jackson $11.1mil/yr with $26mil

10) Fitzgerald $11mil/yr with $22mil

11) Maclin $11mil/yr with $22.5mil

12) Allen Hurns $10mil/yr with $16mil

13) R. Cobb $10mil/yr with $13mil

14) J. Nelson $9.7mil/yr with $11mil

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000067...n-longterm-deal It is now close to crunch time and we'll soon know what happens. Based on this report it seems Jeffrey's agent has released that the Bears are not offering anything close to what Jeffrey wants. It appears the Bears are settled in around $12mil/yr and Jeffrey wants much more. I presume that is around $14mil/yr. Earlier in the offseason I put Jeffrey's value around $12mil/yr but these things often take on odd trajectories. I don't see Jeffrey belonging among the top 5 at all (obviously he's there at the moment based on the Franchise deal). I think he belongs somewhere among 6-10. Hilton sits at the top there but has the smallest guaranteed money followed by Baldwin with a similar deal. If the Bears are offering around $12mil/yr I'd say they are right where they should be and the bigger discussion is the guaranteed money. Jeffrey deserves more than 1yr (amount of annual salary) guaranteed IMO. How much more? I still think both sides will come to a deal but it will see the Bears able to move on after three, perhaps just two, seasons. That would mean a guarantee of around $24-25mil. Probably going to see the Bear want offseason workout guarantees too. From www.overthecap.com here's the list of WR $/yr: 1) AJ Green $15mil/yr with $26.7mil guaranteed 2) Jeffrey $14.6mil/yr with $14.6 1 year deal 3) Julio Jones $14.2mil/yr with $35.5mil 4) D. Thomas $14mil/yr with $35mil 5) Dez Bryant $14mil/yr with $32mil 6) Ty Hilton $13mil/yr with $11mil 7) Doug Baldwin $11.5mil/yr with $12mil 8) Keenan Allen $11.24mil/yr with $20.6mil 9) V. Jackson $11.1mil/yr with $26mil 10) Fitzgerald $11mil/yr with $22mil 11) Maclin $11mil/yr with $22.5mil 12) Allen Hurns $10mil/yr with $16mil 13) R. Cobb $10mil/yr with $13mil 14) J. Nelson $9.7mil/yr with $11mil

I am sure Jeffery is looking at this like the Cutler deal too. At the beginning, Cutler was paid near the top if not at the top for QB's. Within a couple years as other QB's renewed contracts, his value fell. If Jeffery wants 14 million, I would not hesitate, but not go any higher. I think 13.5 would fit him well.

I don't know if the per year money is even the issue anymore with NFL contracts. From what I have seen, it is guaranteed money and the number of years. So if they are far apart, it is probably tied to how much Alshon wants up front in guarantees, and I am sure the Bears are hesitant to give him a lot of guarantees due to injury history.

That does basically sum it up. A WR1 but not a Franchise player.

Do you think Pace screwed up? Reason I ask is because Jeffery can put the Bears into another situation of using the franchise tag again, which basicall guarantees him 18 million. The Bears will have to decide to tag him or sign him long term to the numbers he may have been looking for before. I think the 30 million total guarantee was in his ball park looking at the top WRs. If that was the case, this approach may have cost the Bears extra to give them another year to evaulate. Of course this all depends on Jeffery producing.

Do you think Pace screwed up? Reason I ask is because Jeffery can put the Bears into another situation of using the franchise tag again, which basicall guarantees him 18 million. The Bears will have to decide to tag him or sign him long term to the numbers he may have been looking for before. I think the 30 million total guarantee was in his ball park looking at the top WRs. If that was the case, this approach may have cost the Bears extra to give them another year to evaulate. Of course this all depends on Jeffery producing.

I would say if they tag him again, then yes. However, if they can work out a long term deal before that point then I don't think it was a mistake not to pay him now. I also think they want to see what White does. If he goes off, then Alshon is worth a lot less to the Bears.

No. I'm glad Pace refused to overpay. Jeffrey's performance overall does not put him in the elite group of WRs. Yes having him on the field makes us a much better team but Jeffrey refuses to participate with the team in the offseason. Even his trainer publicly criticized the Bears (at least NFL teams in general) for their training methods. That's the same trainer who got Jeffrey in shape last year and we saw how well that worked out. Last season it was pretty clear that Jeffrey was not doing what he should have done off the field with the training staff to stay in shape or get healthy again.

A player wants the organization to commit to him while he refuses to commit to the organization. I understand all the injury concerns with practicing in voluntary OTAs but that does not prevent Jeffrey from training in Chicago and being around the team to check in with the training staff on occasion. Kyle Long trains in Arizona but he managed to make it all work out. I prefer to put big money toward players like Long who exemplify what Fox wants on and off the field.

If Jeffrey performs well we can tag him again next year and try to work on a deal. We can also tag him and trade him. If he plays well this year (not even lights out well) we'd get at least a 3rd Rd pick but more likely a 2nd Rd pick for him. If he plays well that might go as high as a late 1st Rd pick. OTOH if he ends up missing games again this year due to injury his price tag will come down to our range. Then we can decide if we still want to deal with these injuries every year as he gets older. If the injury trend continues the games missed for each injury increase as a player gets older.

No. I'm glad Pace refused to overpay. Jeffrey's performance overall does not put him in the elite group of WRs. Yes having him on the field makes us a much better team but Jeffrey refuses to participate with the team in the offseason. Even his trainer publicly criticized the Bears (at least NFL teams in general) for their training methods. That's the same trainer who got Jeffrey in shape last year and we saw how well that worked out. Last season it was pretty clear that Jeffrey was not doing what he should have done off the field with the training staff to stay in shape or get healthy again.

A player wants the organization to commit to him while he refuses to commit to the organization. I understand all the injury concerns with practicing in voluntary OTAs but that does not prevent Jeffrey from training in Chicago and being around the team to check in with the training staff on occasion. Kyle Long trains in Arizona but he managed to make it all work out. I prefer to put big money toward players like Long who exemplify what Fox wants on and off the field.

If Jeffrey performs well we can tag him again next year and try to work on a deal. We can also tag him and trade him. If he plays well this year (not even lights out well) we'd get at least a 3rd Rd pick but more likely a 2nd Rd pick for him. If he plays well that might go as high as a late 1st Rd pick. OTOH if he ends up missing games again this year due to injury his price tag will come down to our range. Then we can decide if we still want to deal with these injuries every year as he gets older. If the injury trend continues the games missed for each injury increase as a player gets older.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Another factor to consider is how well White does. If he performs "lights out" AND manages to play all or most of the season that could potentially relegate AJ to a #2 receiver status. Sure he might manage to become a #1 elsewhere; provided he did well and played the whole season, but his bargaining power with the Bears certainly lessens if White comes through.

I sure hope AJ figures it out at some point and becomes a team player. I can see Megatron like ability written all over him.

No.

The cap goes up every year. If we really want to tag him again, we can afford it. Or we can attempt to sign him again. Or we can let him walk.