The Bears should draft an Alabama player

jason

Facts:

1. The Bears need QB, LT, CB, S, DE, WR, TE

2. This is a very weak QB draft.

3. This is a very weak OL draft. Kiper and McShay agree (on QB too).

4. Myles Garrett will be gone when the Bears pick.

5. When the Bears pick there will likely be a choice of the leftover QB (Kizer or Trubinsky), Leonard Fournette, and Marshon Lattimore, besides two Alabama players (Jonathan Allen / Cam Robinson).

If Allen is there, I think it's a no-brainer. Aside from Garrett, he's probably the best overall player in the entire draft. And he fits the 3-4DE position perfectly.

If Allen isn't there, pretty much everyone at that point feels like a slight reach. So the Bears may as well grab the clear cut #1 OT and solidify the OL.

I'd have no issues with drafting Cam Robinson but I'm not sure I wouldn't trade back a bit and then take either Cam or my QB. Let's just say we stay in the top 10, there's a wealth of talent that can help us next season. Then with the extra pick we gained use that to trade back up into late 1st and take a QB there.

I haven't yet seen the safety out of LSU but he is intriguing to me not just for how well he reportedly can play but for his leadership on the field. We really need that general among our DBs. Mike Brown was slow but he had everyone knowing where they needed to be and what they needed to do at the snap. How much value is there in having one player among the DBs who has 4 (or more) other players one step closer to where they need to be?

Facts:

5. When the Bears pick there will likely be a choice of the leftover QB (Kizer or Trubinsky), Leonard Fournette, and Marshon Lattimore, besides two Alabama players (Jonathan Allen / Cam Robinson).

If Allen is there, I think it's a no-brainer. Aside from Garrett, he's probably the best overall player in the entire draft. And he fits the 3-4DE position perfectly.

If Allen isn't there, pretty much everyone at that point feels like a slight reach. So the Bears may as well grab the clear cut #1 OT and solidify the OL.

Just curious...has there been a recent draft where you didn't want the Bears to draft an Alabama player? :)

Just curious...has there been a recent draft where you didn't want the Bears to draft an Alabama player? :)

They've been really good lately.

14-Haha Clinton-Dix

15-Amari Cooper

16-Ragland

If Ragland weren't injured, that would easily be better than the Bears three picks.

And there have been several others who would have been better picks than the Bears picks over the last several years.

14-Haha Clinton-Dix

15-Amari Cooper

16-Ragland

If Ragland weren't injured, that would easily be better than the Bears three picks.

And there have been several others who would have been better picks than the Bears picks over the last several years.

They are saying ILB Rueben Foster is a better prospect than Ragland, but ILB is no longer a high need. My Bears top 5 board so far:

Myles Garrett OLB

Mitch Trubisky QB

Trade Down to 10ish (Clev's 2nd 1st and one of their 2nds)

Jonathan Allen DE

Marlon Humphrey CB

Facts:

SHOCKER! 😱

Although not all that long ago I conceded to the idea of drafting an OLman in the first two rounds.

Part of that due to my believing the starting QB for next year is already on the team; Barkley, Hoyer or Shaw. And considering the QB prospects for next year, drafting one later makes more sense than in the first or even second round (ala Dak Prescott). However I would think it make sense to draft a QB this next season AND the following season.

SHOCKER! 😱

Although not all that long ago I conceded to the idea of drafting an OLman in the first two rounds.

Part of that due to my believing the starting QB for next year is already on the team; Barkley, Hoyer or Shaw. And considering the QB prospects for next year, drafting one later makes more sense than in the first or even second round (ala Dak Prescott). However I would think it make sense to draft a QB this next season AND the following season.

Well, until they give the QB, whichever QB, an OL he can stand behind and feel comfortable, as well as one that opens holes for the running game, I'll always feel like we should draft OL. The Cowboys are showing what a great OL can do this season. I want the Bears to do the same thing.

Well, until they give the QB, whichever QB, an OL he can stand behind and feel comfortable, as well as one that opens holes for the running game, I'll always feel like we should draft OL. The Cowboys are showing what a great OL can do this season. I want the Bears to do the same thing.

My target OT is Chad Wheeler USC. The Bears line requires mobility and he has great feet. Add at least one OT if not two this draft in top 4 rounds.

My target OT is Chad Wheeler USC. The Bears line requires mobility and he has great feet. Add at least one OT if not two this draft in top 4 rounds.

I'd love Wheeler in the 4th, and would even go higher if the Bears feel he might be in high demand.

I'd love Wheeler in the 4th, and would even go higher if the Bears feel he might be in high demand.

Love to get him in the 4th or 3rd if they move down. The OT class is weak IMO, G & C seem decent so teams may over value OTs this year. Mason Cole Michigan is another guy I like even if they have him slotted at C, he might make a decent swing or RT.

Don't get too excited by my concession. I mostly say that because a BPA type player for 'us' will probably be an olineman. There aren't a lot of needs like in the past other than maybe a WR or DB.

That said, Barkley and Howard have managed to do well behind THIS line. Howard is only trailing Zeke by ~400 yards and Zeke had a 4(?) game head start.

But yes, I suppose one more young olineman would help.

Don't get too excited by my concession. I mostly say that because a BPA type player for 'us' will probably be an olineman. There aren't a lot of needs like in the past other than maybe a WR or DB.

That said, Barkley and Howard have managed to do well behind THIS line. Howard is only trailing Zeke by ~400 yards and Zeke had a 4(?) game head start.

But yes, I suppose one more young olineman would help.

Slow your roll. Don't try to lump Barkley's pedestrian numbers, his performance that indicates a career backup, and his just "good enough to stay in the NFL"-skills, into the same discussion as Howard. Barkley does not look like a season-long starter. Absolutely not. Even yesterday his passes lacked zip, and there probably should have been 1 or 2 interceptions by the Lions. If you put Barkley in an entire season, there is a certainty that he will regress into what he really is. And let's be honest, his performance hasn't been that good.

Also, the thing that never seems to sink in - or does and you simply don't agree - is that adding to the line(s) only makes the team better. Sure, there have been decent performances behind the current OL, and Howard has looked great at times, but imagine how much better they'd look behind an actually great OL?

14-Haha Clinton-Dix

15-Amari Cooper

16-Ragland

Ragland was drafted in the 2nd round. Who are we comparing Ragland to? I'm quite happy with Whitehair and Floyd, who were the only guys we picked above him. Whitehair was selected 3 picks before Ragland?

Amari Cooper would have been the Bears pick....unfortunately Raiders took him before we could.

Slow your roll. Don't try to lump Barkley's pedestrian numbers, his performance that indicates a career backup, and his just "good enough to stay in the NFL"-skills, into the same discussion as Howard. Barkley does not look like a season-long starter. Absolutely not. Even yesterday his passes lacked zip, and there probably should have been 1 or 2 interceptions by the Lions. If you put Barkley in an entire season, there is a certainty that he will regress into what he really is. And let's be honest, his performance hasn't been that good.

Also, the thing that never seems to sink in - or does and you simply don't agree - is that adding to the line(s) only makes the team better. Sure, there have been decent performances behind the current OL, and Howard has looked great at times, but imagine how much better they'd look behind an actually great OL?

Barkley's arm may not be the strongest, but damn is he accurate. He's thrown a ton of balls to the right guy in the right spot. His poise and decisiveness have been great too and for a guy who doesn't have a big arm, I've seen him throw a lot of downfield passes with the right precision and accuracy. I guess my point is, as someone who was a huge Barkley basher, he's done nothing to show me that he can't be a long-term option as a starting QB. This was a guy who had he gone pro at the right time, would have likely been a #1 overall pick (and at the very least top 10). And he would have been a 1st round pick had he not hurt his shoulder severely at the end of his final season at USC.

General rule of thumb is it takes 4 games on film for the NFL to adjust (for a recent example...look at Wentz who went from awesome to crap after the league got enough film on him). These next few games will be telling, but I've been really impressed (especially with the drops, etc). He should be 2-1 and if it weren't for those holding penalties, could be 3-1 for all we know. More importantly, I'm getting excited for our defense (please oh please don't leave Fangio). So much development going on. We need to identify a corner (seeing Jenkins play last night was a thing of beauty). We need the next Peanut. I like our chances at filling the depth at CB, but I think we need to either use a pick or FA money on a top CB and also need to find a playmaking safety. Again, I trust our depth to fill the rest, but I think if we added a playmaker at both spots, that would be a huge help at turning our defense into a lethal attack (pass rush seems to be there...although I'd love another pass rusher...you literally can't have too many, especially in this era of throw the ball all the time).

Howard / Whitehair / Floyd all look like total beasts of picks by Pace.

Slow your roll. Don't try to lump Barkley's pedestrian numbers, his performance that indicates a career backup, and his just "good enough to stay in the NFL"-skills, into the same discussion as Howard. Barkley if does not look like a season-long starter. Absolutely not. Even yesterday his passes lacked zip, and there probably should have been 1 or 2 interceptions by the Lions. If you put Barkley in an entire season, there is a certainty that he will regress into what he really is. And let's be honest, his performance hasn't been that good.

The ongoing discussion of Olinemen need aside. When you have a QB in Jay Cutler to compare to (and some here insisted he was Franhchise material) then 'pedestrian' is pretty damn good. Barkleys looked better, Hoyer looked better, McCown looked better. Hell even Hanie looked better.

P

The ongoing discussion of Olinemen need aside. When you have a QB in Jay Cutler to compare to (and some here insisted he was Franhchise material) then 'pedestrian' is pretty damn good. Barkleys looked better, Hoyer looked better, McCown looked better. Hell even Hanie looked better.

P

Hanie was god awful with the Bears. He had a half that he wasn't terrible and then when he was forced into action the following season, he was about as bad as I've ever seen any QB.

Ragland was drafted in the 2nd round. Who are we comparing Ragland to? I'm quite happy with Whitehair and Floyd, who were the only guys we picked above him. Whitehair was selected 3 picks before Ragland?

Amari Cooper would have been the Bears pick....unfortunately Raiders took him before we could.

I was just pointing out the string of good/great Alabama players that I've touted for the Bears. I like Whitehair as well, but Ragland would have been a huge pickup in the 2nd. Then they wouldn't have had to spend on a pricey FA ILB, and could have gone elsewhere. Especially considering the fact that Slausson could have remained and filled that OG hole.

I was just pointing out the string of good/great Alabama players that I've touted for the Bears. I like Whitehair as well, but Ragland would have been a huge pickup in the 2nd. Then they wouldn't have had to spend on a pricey FA ILB, and could have gone elsewhere. Especially considering the fact that Slausson could have remained and filled that OG hole.

Another one to remember is CJ Mosely. Picked #17 by Baltimore. Three picks after our pick which was Kyle Fuller. -Ugh-

Some other personal faves from Alabama; Derrick Henry, Landon Collins, Eddie Lacy (yes that one), Mark Ingram and Julio Jones. Of course one favorite we actually had on the team was Marc Anderson. He is probably the last one that was actually drafted by the Bears.

Alabama continues to churn out a decent number of NFL caliber players and the Bears would be wise to at least look at one or two for next year.

If we're going Alabama then this needs to be our pick: Marlon Humphrey CB

Fangio wants bigger CBs who can reroute a WR, then watch this kid play. Those smack downs on WR bubble screens would be nice to have too.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marlon-hum...-texas-am-2016/

He's listed 5th overall among draft prospects by NFLDraftScout.com. CB is need 1A behind QB so where we pick he's not even a reach. Given the status of our defense (Dline is far ahead of the DBs in capability) he could be a better pick than Allen should both be on the board. Personally I prefer the sack over the pass knocked down so I'd take Allen but I wouldn't argue if we took Humphrey given the huge need.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...&school=All

If we're going Alabama then this needs to be our pick: Marlon Humphrey CB

Fangio wants bigger CBs who can reroute a WR, then watch this kid play. Those smack downs on WR bubble screens would be nice to have too.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marlon-hum...-texas-am-2016/

He's listed 5th overall among draft prospects by NFLDraftScout.com. CB is need 1A behind QB so where we pick he's not even a reach. Given the status of our defense (Dline is far ahead of the DBs in capability) he could be a better pick than Allen should both be on the board. Personally I prefer the sack over the pass knocked down so I'd take Allen but I wouldn't argue if we took Humphrey given the huge need.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...&school=All

I see this scenerio taking place if we don't get the QB we like. I think we go CB and QB rounds 1 and 2.