Trade with Cleveland

jason

I was just thinking about what the Bears should do in the draft (same thought for a month now), and the more I think about it, a trade with Cleveland makes sense.

Cleveland has two 1st round picks: #1 & #9.

Cleveland needs a QB.

Cleveland sucks on defense as well.

Cleveland has a ton of picks and can move up.

If they pass on Garrett at #1, no way he's there at #9. They won't pass according to this report. But the QBs are a different story. There appears to be serious contention about which QB is the first overall. It would make a ton of sense for Cleveland to draft Garrett, then trade from #9 to #4 and take a QB, whether it's Trubisky, Kizer, or Watson. That gives them huge momentum and promise for a team that has looked miserable this year.

#4 - 1800

#9 - 1350

The Browns second pick in the 2nd round fits about perfect into that math.

Since Garrett and Allen will likely be gone, and the QBs are questionable, it feels like nobody there is worth the #4 pick. Most of us think a trade back fits the team's needs.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thoughts?

I am starting to think that Barkley might be an answer....I know, some here will say I am nuts but considering he has not played with the first team until a few games ago, we are working with rookie WR's, not to mention a new TE, I wonder how he might do with a few more games experience and a full pre-year training camp as a number one QB getting all of the reps.

I guess what I am saying, we have a lot of needs; secondary, WR, offensive line, another defensive stud wouldn't hurt.

I am starting to think that Barkley might be an answer....I know, some here will say I am nuts but considering he has not played with the first team until a few games ago, we are working with rookie WR's, not to mention a new TE, I wonder how he might do with a few more games experience and a full pre-year training camp as a number one QB getting all of the reps.

I guess what I am saying, we have a lot of needs; secondary, WR, offensive line, another defensive stud wouldn't hurt.

I've been having the same thoughts, that said, here is a good piece from Greg Gabriel of the Bears talking about why he isn't a starter and to be frank, why he doesn't even know if he is a backup. I don't quite agree with the backup aspect, since the reason he looked so bad with the Bears was probably due to the fact that he didn't even have preseason / training camp reps in this offense.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/12/gab...fl-quarterback/

I've been having the same thoughts, that said, here is a good piece from Greg Gabriel of the Bears talking about why he isn't a starter and to be frank, why he doesn't even know if he is a backup. I don't quite agree with the backup aspect, since the reason he looked so bad with the Bears was probably due to the fact that he didn't even have preseason / training camp reps in this offense.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/12/gab...fl-quarterback/

Barkley is NOT our franchise QB. He is a great backup, but he is not much better than Bobby Douglas or Bob Avelleni, etc., for those of us who (can, at my age!) remember. We have got to get on the draft a QB train, or we are screwed for the rest of my lifetime.

Barkley is NOT our franchise QB. He is a great backup, but he is not much better than Bobby Douglas or Bob Avelleni, etc., for those of us who (can, at my age!) remember. We have got to get on the draft a QB train, or we are screwed for the rest of my lifetime.

That could be true....but I hate to waste a number one draft pick on another question mark. It seems there is no certain pick this year......but then honestly, I don't keep up as much as I could on the options out there. Is it worth moving up vs getting a sure bet stud somewhere else? Some teams have won with decent QB's....can we?

I am just thinking...how many great QB's come from nowhere? Brady? Farve? Prescott?

The majority are first rounders, but there are enough that aren't that makes a 2nd or 3rd rounder acceptable. Not to mention the fact that there are many 1st round bust QBs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_start...Football_League

I have read some articles where the "Draft Gurus" are speculating this year could be one of those rare years where no QB is drafted in the first round. That is how bad this year's QB draft class is. Now being a quality starter can certainly be drafted later than round 1 as we have all seen happen many times in the past I would say go with BPA/Need in round one and then go with best QB available in round 2. I would prefer that than to "reach" in round one because of need and increase the already high risk of a 1st rd bust at QB.

Is Trubisky even going to declare this year? If it were not for the lack of quality QBs declaring for this year's draft would we even consider him a top 10 pick? With only 1 year of experience unless he honestly thinks he will be a high 1st round pick he would be better off delaying going into the draft, IMO.

So I am hoping for a solid QB prospect in the draft, possibly day 2, and that Hoyer returns healthy for training camp next year (I personally like him better than Barkley) along with Barkley and Shaw then let's see who is standing once the dust settles.

Heck, draft a QB in round 2 and another in round 4 or 5, let them slug it out.

That's kind of what I want.

I'd like to see Deshaun Watson in round 2 and Chad Kelly late, assuming he lasts due to the knee injury.

That might be the way to go. I like Luke Falk and think he will be the Derek Carr of the draft. RD1 might end up being the top CB in the draft as much as I'd rather not.

1 Marlon Humphrey CB

2 Deshaun Watson/Falk/other QB

3 Chad Wheeler LT

4 Jordan Leggett TE

4 Chad Kelly QB

That might be the way to go. I like Luke Falk and think he will be the Derek Carr of the draft. RD1 might end up being the top CB in the draft as much as I'd rather not.

1 Marlon Humphrey CB

3 Chad Wheeler LT

4 Jordan Leggett TE

4 Chad Kelly QB

Got a vibe on Trubisky. He won't last past top five.

I agree with much of what Gabriel says about Barkley's strengths/weaknesses but it's just stupid for him to say he's not very good when he doesn't practice. I wonder for how many other players in the NFL, especially 3rd string QBs, we can say the same?

Gabriel and I differ on Hoyer vs. Barkley. For all his experience Hoyer was unable to hit guys in tight windows on intermediate passes. Barkley might not have great arm strength but so far I see him better able to place the ball in the right spot on the sidelines, even in the middle of the field. That last pass Bellamy dropped was in a perfect spot despite tight coverage. Windy conditions for either of these QBs is a problem. Probably also true for Shaw.

Among the draft QBs I'd say Kizer can best handle the Chicago conditions but the occasional short throws into the dirt that he makes is odd. I don't know if he's rushing the pass or poor mechanics but the clock only speeds up in the NFL.

Trubisky is ranked a mid-1st Rd pick. He's a QB so he's only going to move up as the draft process continues just because of the value of the position. The only QB in recent drafts that didn't have a lot of question marks was Andrew Luck. Take a stroll through the mine field of QB draft history and remember both Vince Young and Matt Leinart were drafted ahead of Cutler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

I agree with much of what Gabriel says about Barkley's strengths/weaknesses but it's just stupid for him to say he's not very good when he doesn't practice. I wonder for how many other players in the NFL, especially 3rd string QBs, we can say the same?

Gabriel and I differ on Hoyer vs. Barkley. For all his experience Hoyer was unable to hit guys in tight windows on intermediate passes. Barkley might not have great arm strength but so far I see him better able to place the ball in the right spot on the sidelines, even in the middle of the field. That last pass Bellamy dropped was in a perfect spot despite tight coverage. Windy conditions for either of these QBs is a problem. Probably also true for Shaw.

Among the draft QBs I'd say Kizer can best handle the Chicago conditions but the occasional short throws into the dirt that he makes is odd. I don't know if he's rushing the pass or poor mechanics but the clock only speeds up in the NFL.

Trubisky is ranked a mid-1st Rd pick. He's a QB so he's only going to move up as the draft process continues just because of the value of the position. The only QB in recent drafts that didn't have a lot of question marks was Andrew Luck. Take a stroll through the mine field of QB draft history and remember both Vince Young and Matt Leinart were drafted ahead of Cutler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Going through all of those drafts shows you QB is more miss than hit. Alot has to do with the way the NFL is ran, they need to figure a way to let teams hold onto their prospects and get them enough practice time to develop them. With teams firing coaches every 3 years or so, continuity is hard to establish also. QBs can be made if the team is established, like NE or GB. The Bears seem to be close because Hoyer or Barkley look effiecent.

I have read some articles where the "Draft Gurus" are speculating this year could be one of those rare years where no QB is drafted in the first round. That is how bad this year's QB draft class is. Now being a quality starter can certainly be drafted later than round 1 as we have all seen happen many times in the past I would say go with BPA/Need in round one and then go with best QB available in round 2. I would prefer that than to "reach" in round one because of need and increase the already high risk of a 1st rd bust at QB.

Is Trubisky even going to declare this year? If it were not for the lack of quality QBs declaring for this year's draft would we even consider him a top 10 pick? With only 1 year of experience unless he honestly thinks he will be a high 1st round pick he would be better off delaying going into the draft, IMO.

So I am hoping for a solid QB prospect in the draft, possibly day 2, and that Hoyer returns healthy for training camp next year (I personally like him better than Barkley) along with Barkley and Shaw then let's see who is standing once the dust settles.

Heck, draft a QB in round 2 and another in round 4 or 5, let them slug it out.

Agreed.

I was just thinking about what the Bears should do in the draft (same thought for a month now), and the more I think about it, a trade with Cleveland makes sense.

Cleveland has two 1st round picks: #1 & #9.

Cleveland needs a QB.

Cleveland sucks on defense as well.

Cleveland has a ton of picks and can move up.

If they pass on Garrett at #1, no way he's there at #9. They won't pass according to this report. But the QBs are a different story. There appears to be serious contention about which QB is the first overall. It would make a ton of sense for Cleveland to draft Garrett, then trade from #9 to #4 and take a QB, whether it's Trubisky, Kizer, or Watson. That gives them huge momentum and promise for a team that has looked miserable this year.

#4 - 1800

#9 - 1350

The Browns second pick in the 2nd round fits about perfect into that math.

Since Garrett and Allen will likely be gone, and the QBs are questionable, it feels like nobody there is worth the #4 pick. Most of us think a trade back fits the team's needs.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thoughts?

If we got #9 and #33 while still having something around #37, you take it. With pick #33, you could always use a later pick to slide into the back end of the first to gain that extra year on the contract. Also, there are a bunch of deals going on with those early 2nd round picks after Day 1 ends. So I could even see us moving off #33 (since we have #37) and pick up some extra picks that way.

1 Marlon Humphrey CB

3 Chad Wheeler LT

4 Jordan Leggett TE

4 Chad Kelly QB

Overall I like that draft, but I'm not sold on Humphrey as a top 5 guy. I officiated more than one game of his in HS, and he never really dominated or stood out tremendously. I'd expect a first round guy, much less a top 5 guy, to leave a serious impression. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chad Kelly last until the 5th.