Redskins vs Bears Game Thread

adam

Draft Update:

1. Browns 0-14 (.564) - winning by 3 but with their luck they will lose

2. 49ers 1-13 (.513) - a winnable game against LA, but we can't pass them, so who cares

3. Jaguars 2-12 (.546) - win baby win, up 15 against Titans

4. Bears 3-11 (.520)

5. Jets 4-10 (.492) - getting demolished, Marshall has rubbed off on the Jets

6. Titans via trade with Rams 4-10 (.538) - Rams against SF, a Rams win helps us more

Based on SoS, it looks like we can do no worse than 5th and no better than 3rd.

This game has me convinced of one thing: the Bears need to fix the pass defense. Badly.

That's accomplished one of two ways:

1. Rush the QB so well he can't plant his feet.

2. Cover the WR with a lockdown corner.

If Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen aren't available, the pick has to be whoever they think is the best CB. Most think it's Marlon Humphrey. That's my short list, in that order.

This game has me convinced of one thing: the Bears need to fix the pass defense. Badly.

That's accomplished one of two ways:

1. Rush the QB so well he can't plant his feet.

2. Cover the WR with a lockdown corner.

If Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen aren't available, the pick has to be whoever they think is the best CB. Most think it's Marlon Humphrey. That's my short list, in that order.

Is it the scheme? Is the 3-4 going to work with our personnel? I think we need a lockdown CB regardless. Jackson has been wide open most of the game.

Barkley with his 4th INT, regardless of receivers and protection, he generally looks terrible. Way more bad than good. Some ugly throws, it doesn't look like he has the arm strength to make certain throws. I am now thinking Hoyer or Shaw and saying no to Barkley. I've seen enough, Redskins are not that good.

He now has 11 INTs, every 17 attempts or so. Not good.

Barkley with his 4th INT, regardless of receivers and protection, he generally looks terrible. Way more bad than good. Some ugly throws, it doesn't look like he has the arm strength to make certain throws. I am now thinking Hoyer or Shaw and saying no to Barkley. I've seen enough, Redskins are not that good.

He sure is not helping his case today....cannot afford 4 interceptions every week.

Is it the scheme? Is the 3-4 going to work with our personnel? I think we need a lockdown CB regardless. Jackson has been wide open most of the game.

Most of the big catch plays have been whenever Porters been covering. He needs to sit and given his age possibly let go next year.

I swear Cutler is dressing up like Barkley. He's really been looking less than stellar these last few weeks. And no it's not because defenses are 'figuring him out'. He's simply stinking it up. I really want to see Barkley succeed. He has the potential to make smart choices and looks great in the pocket - most of the time.

*edit: one observation I do see is that Barkley plays much better under time pressure. Like in two minute offense situations. Is there a way they could develop their offense on that? Similar to what Peyton did?

Most of the big catch plays have been whenever Porters been covering. He needs to sit and given his age possibly let go next year.

I swear Cutler is dressing up like Barkley. He's really been looking less than stellar these last few weeks. And no it's not because defenses are 'figuring him out'. He's simply stinking it up. I really want to see Barkley succeed. He has the potential to make smart choices and looks great in the pocket - most of the time.

*edit: one observation I do see is that Barkley plays much better under time pressure. Like in two minute offense situations. Is there a way they could develop their offense on that? Similar to what Peyton did?

He still has to make the throws when they count. He has thrown some bad balls and had some terrible reads.

Barkley is not an NFL caliber starter. I'll take Hoyer over him. Too many limitations for Barkley. And a 5th pick.

Quick update:

The best path forward for the Bears is to pick Garrett, Allen, Humphrey in that order in the first.

Then watch the QBs closely and definitely trade back into the mid/late first for a QB (extra 4th and future considerations), who will start day 1.

Barkley is not an NFL caliber starter. I'll take Hoyer over him. Too many limitations for Barkley. And a 5th pick.

Nah. I think the answer is going to either be a starting capable rookie QB (Wentz or Prescott like) or Connor Shaw. If Barkley has more time to gel with the offense in the offseason and competes well enough in camp, he should also be considered.

One concern I have with Howard is his body frame. He's similar to Eddie Lacey in frame style and would hope he doesn't turn into a loaf like Lacey has.

I got an A-train vibe from him when we drafted him and still get that vibe. Hopefully he is able to sustain production for longer that A-Train did, but these guys who aren't that fast and don't catch well are rarely long term solutions.