Both Coordinators Retained

DABEARSDABOMB

With the oline coach gone I wonder what the thought is on the oline moving forward. Whatever we do at QB is impacted by the control at the line of scrimmage. Magazu was a long time Fox coach so that must be telling with him being let go. I hope we don't reach for a QB because we are at least a secondary, at least 1 tackle, a tight end and a stud DE from having team capable of making the playoffs before overspending on a QB.

I would rather carry on with Cutler than send the 3rd pick to New England for Garapalo

With the oline coach gone I wonder what the thought is on the oline moving forward. Whatever we do at QB is impacted by the control at the line of scrimmage. Magazu was a long time Fox coach so that must be telling with him being let go. I hope we don't reach for a QB because we are at least a secondary, at least 1 tackle, a tight end and a stud DE from having team capable of making the playoffs before overspending on a QB.

I would rather carry on with Cutler than send the 3rd pick to New England for Garapalo

I would never ever in a million years send a top 15 pick for Jimmy G. I would hope our 2nd and a 4th could get it done and if it took a 1st, we'd have to move down and accumulate other assets. If it took the 3rd overall pick, I would never in a million years suggest it. I was surprised Magazu isn't being retained (I don't know if it was a mutual thing and he is looking for something else or if he was just let go though).

I liked Magazu, thought he did a good job here.

Evidently the players weren't big fans of his and that is why he is on the way out. I didn't think our performance was indicative of a guy needed to get the ax. He was a long time assistant of Fox (back in Denver too, IIRC). Not sure if he was with him in Carolina as well.

Evidently the players weren't big fans of his and that is why he is on the way out. I didn't think our performance was indicative of a guy needed to get the ax. He was a long time assistant of Fox (back in Denver too, IIRC). Not sure if he was with him in Carolina as well.

I read that last night. Apparently he was not liked by the Oline players. We had Mawae in camp last year and he did well enough they kept him around all all season, plus he was well respected by the players.

--------------

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0104-story.html

"But Magazu was unpopular with players and some of them wondered privately if he would be let go during the season with the team struggling. The Bears had an interesting dynamic in play where the team essentially had four O-line coaches. Ben Wilkerson had the title of assistant offensive line coach and Kevin Mawae, who was an intern for training camp, was hired for the remainder of the season because he was so well-liked by the players. Additionally, tight ends coach Frank Smith had a natural hand in work with the offensive line and took a more vocal role during this season."

-----------------

I appears my credit for the decent Oline performance was misplaced.

Bummed about this. I think he's done well converting our veterans and new players to the 3-4 front.

I have heard rumors that McCoy(long time aide to Fox) could come here as the Assistant head coach. Do the play calling and still retain Loggians as OC with a lesser role.

Why would McCoy do that?

At Foxes age, he may turn the reigns to the team over to McCoy when his contract is up, and maybe Pace would agree with that depending on the success of the team until then.

McCoy is viewed as a good offensive mind but has had the same problems that we have had here with many injuries and a poor defense. with Fangio here, the defense will become good if not great so it may we a great scenario for everybody involved.

I have heard rumors that McCoy(long time aide to Fox) could come here as the Assistant head coach. Do the play calling and still retain Loggians as OC with a lesser role.

Why would McCoy do that?

At Foxes age, he may turn the reigns to the team over to McCoy when his contract is up, and maybe Pace would agree with that depending on the success of the team until then.

McCoy is viewed as a good offensive mind but has had the same problems that we have had here with many injuries and a poor defense. with Fangio here, the defense will become good if not great so it may we a great scenario for everybody involved.

This early in the coaching carousel process I think this is more speculation than fact. Both Fox and Mccoy may be open to that but McCoy was a successful OC before he went to San Diego. I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a job by one of the new HC around the league, especially one who was a defensive coordinator. I think he'd want that role before coming to Chicago and working with Fox again.

I'm not as down on Loggains as most are. I was actually impressed that he kept our offense moving with a lot of backup pieces. When you're down to 3rd/4th string WRs and 4th string QB expectations for anything from the offense dropped to zero. He still got points on the board, or in the case of Hoyer he still kept the offense moving. People point to Howard being the reason for all that but fact is in the 2nd half of the season stopping Howard became the priority of defenses. When everyone knows what you're going to do, they focus on stopping it yet you still run it down their throat... I like that identity. We had no identity on offense the first few weeks and it showed. He found his gem of an identity in Howard and built up the running game to where nobody was able to stop it even when Kush and Larsen were in at OG.

I find it interesting that Fox finds McCoy and helps him become one of the better OCs and then off to become a head coach. Fox replaces him with Adam Gase and over the next few years helps Gase become one of the better OCs who then leaves to become a head coach. Fox finds Loggains and... ?

Bummed about this. I think he's done well converting our veterans and new players to the 3-4 front.

Sounded like it has to do with the fact that he wants to go back to the line. IIRC, we blocked him from taking a position a year ago (think it was to go join Gase in Miami, but maybe it was a college job), so I presume he had other opportunities that were more interesting to him. I agree with you though, he is a good coach.

This early in the coaching carousel process I think this is more speculation than fact. Both Fox and Mccoy may be open to that but McCoy was a successful OC before he went to San Diego. I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a job by one of the new HC around the league, especially one who was a defensive coordinator. I think he'd want that role before coming to Chicago and working with Fox again.

I'm not as down on Loggains as most are. I was actually impressed that he kept our offense moving with a lot of backup pieces. When you're down to 3rd/4th string WRs and 4th string QB expectations for anything from the offense dropped to zero. He still got points on the board, or in the case of Hoyer he still kept the offense moving. People point to Howard being the reason for all that but fact is in the 2nd half of the season stopping Howard became the priority of defenses. When everyone knows what you're going to do, they focus on stopping it yet you still run it down their throat... I like that identity. We had no identity on offense the first few weeks and it showed. He found his gem of an identity in Howard and built up the running game to where nobody was able to stop it even when Kush and Larsen were in at OG.

I find it interesting that Fox finds McCoy and helps him become one of the better OCs and then off to become a head coach. Fox replaces him with Adam Gase and over the next few years helps Gase become one of the better OCs who then leaves to become a head coach. Fox finds Loggains and... ?

Agree with your sentiments...that said, if somehow McCoy wants to come here as an assistant head coach, great. I would think he'd want a spot where he had better upside. I could see if we had a young QB, who he could come in and spend a lot of time with and get credit that way, but otherwise, seems like the upside is more limited. Unless of course Fox tells him that we intend to bring in a young QB, etc. Developing a young QB is one of the quickest ways to get a head coaching job again. McCoy would be a fantastic hire, I just don't see him coming here (would think there were far better places to go).