Forget about Malik Hooker at #3

jason

Ouch and he ran that well in the CFB playoffs with a hernia? How fast is he when he's healthy? I agree Pace won't go this direction.

I've been back and forth the last couple weeks between Hooker and Adams but yesterday I finally settled on the fact that Pace will want the higher floor and the immediate production and versatility Adams offers. Hooker is tantalizing considering the need for INTs but he still has some learning to do. Adams walks in day one and he's ready to play. Considering that most NFL plays are within 10 yards of the LOS that makes Adams the better value. I think both will be Pro Bowl players during their careers but for different reasons (INTs vs. TFLs).

Despite all my blather about taking the QB with the 1st pick I think Adams will be our pick. Need and talent match perfectly. Pace waits to see which QB falls and trades up into the late 1st Rd, or takes Mahomes in Rd 2. Our defense is already performing near top 10-15 when healthy. Add the right FA piece at CB, Adams at S, rookie CB in Rd 3, and maybe more depth at OLB or ILB and we should be a solid top 10 D, if not challenging for top 5.

We'll still have Callahan and LeBlanc for NB and outside depth. A 3rd Rd rookie and Hall for backup CB. Banks...whatever he decides he wants to be but he and or Hall could challenge Porter.

I'd be game for Hooker...but again, I keep saying, if we aren't taking QB @ 3, we should trade down. Nothing is worth grabbing at 3 (given our needs, etc). I fully expect us to trade down, which will either mean we draft a QB there or we have the ammunition to move back up in the draft to ensure we get the QB later in the 1st or in the 2nd round.

I'd be game for Hooker...but again, I keep saying, if we aren't taking QB @ 3, we should trade down. Nothing is worth grabbing at 3 (given our needs, etc). I fully expect us to trade down, which will either mean we draft a QB there or we have the ammunition to move back up in the draft to ensure we get the QB later in the 1st or in the 2nd round.

I don't have any data to support this but seems to me big trades into the top 5 of the draft are usually driven by one of the big 3 positions: DE, OT, QB.

The problem is finding someone willing to trade up that high into the first round, which is very expensive in terms of picks. This is a deep draft at several positions and it's hard to say a team can't just stay at #8 or #10 and get a comparable player, or grab a very good talent at another need position. Every team in the top 10 picks has multiple needs so to trade up means they give up drafting a second starter with their 2nd Rd pick.

Is it worth it to trade up for Allen when Solomon Thomas might be there at your pick? Adams vs. Hooker? Trubisky vs. Kizer vs. Watson? Want a CB...grab anyone in the 1st and you're in good shape. Nobody is coming up to #3 for an OT/TE/WR/RB/LB in this draft.

Garrett would draw a ton of interest but if we did that we'd be stupid. It's possible we might find a trade partner in a team that really wants Adams but I'm not sure teams will find moving up to #3 for a safety to be a great value, especially if they think Peppers can grow into the role. This might happen with teams that are just behind us with picks 4-6, maybe as far back as Carolina at #7. After that its very expensive. OTOH it's a draft very deep in DBs, Hooker will still be available and his surgery is not that risky. I just don't see Adams as a player driving the trade market.

I don't have any data to support this but seems to me big trades into the top 5 of the draft are usually driven by one of the big 3 positions: DE, OT, QB.

The problem is finding someone willing to trade up that high into the first round, which is very expensive in terms of picks. This is a deep draft at several positions and it's hard to say a team can't just stay at #8 or #10 and get a comparable player, or grab a very good talent at another need position. Every team in the top 10 picks has multiple needs so to trade up means they give up drafting a second starter with their 2nd Rd pick.

Is it worth it to trade up for Allen when Solomon Thomas might be there at your pick? Adams vs. Hooker? Trubisky vs. Kizer vs. Watson? Want a CB...grab anyone in the 1st and you're in good shape. Nobody is coming up to #3 for an OT/TE/WR/RB/LB in this draft.

Garrett would draw a ton of interest but if we did that we'd be stupid. It's possible we might find a trade partner in a team that really wants Adams but I'm not sure teams will find moving up to #3 for a safety to be a great value, especially if they think Peppers can grow into the role. This might happen with teams that are just behind us with picks 4-6, maybe as far back as Carolina at #7. After that its very expensive. OTOH it's a draft very deep in DBs, Hooker will still be available and his surgery is not that risky. I just don't see Adams as a player driving the trade market.

The only trades up will be for a QB, I dont see anybody other than Garrett worth it to a team. Maybe some one thinks Mike Williams is a stud but not to trade up that high to get him.

Why did you see Thomas as the second best DL in the draft?

He wasn't as productive in college and is 20 lbs less than Allen

I never liked the idea of a safety that early anyways. It seems the best ones have shorter careers on top due to the impacts they take at the position, with a few exceptions. At 3 you should be getting a QB, LT or DE. A cornerstone for any team, no other positions are worth a look.

I never liked the idea of a safety that early anyways. It seems the best ones have shorter careers on top due to the impacts they take at the position, with a few exceptions. At 3 you should be getting a QB, LT or DE. A cornerstone for any team, no other positions are worth a look.

I am with you here. I would throw in shut CB as well and as deep as this draft is at CB, you can get a good one RD2.