Kirk Cousins & a FA plan

jason

Why is there no talk about Kirk Cousins?

Pretty good TD to INT ratio. Good accuracy. Tons of yards. Young enough to be the QB of the foreseeable future. No question marks about his ability to play in the NFL or whether the coaches/scheme is the reason he's succeeding (JG <_ so why is he barely discussed with the bears>

Because he'd likely take $20M? That's kind of the going market, right? And the Bears have a ton of cap space, right? Hell, when the Bears dump a player or two (Houston and Royal), they'll have at least $10M more. And wouldn't he be more likely to leave Washington than Berry leaving KC?

Next you'll say, what about Alshon? Well, he's going to command more than he's worth, and he doesn't seem to want to be in Chicago. Easy enough, grab Kirk Cousins' favorite WR (DeSean Jackson) and use the rest of Alshon's cash on other available FAs.

It seems to me, signing Kirk Cousins might be the best move for the Bears.

I am all for Cousins. I don't think he's great, but he is good and I'm okay with good at this point. That said, I presume it is unrealistic unless Washington intends to let him be a UFA. Presumably, Washington will franchise him which means not only will we have to pay him mega money, we will also have to trade for him. I can't justify trading multiple picks plus giving him as much money as he wants (and I really don't see Washington giving him up for anything less then our #1 pick plus at least a future 2nd, if not a future 1st).

If it was purely giving him a contract (and no draft pick exchange), Cousins would probably be at the top of my list.

Why is there no talk about Kirk Cousins?

Pretty good TD to INT ratio. Good accuracy. Tons of yards. Young enough to be the QB of the foreseeable future. No question marks about his ability to play in the NFL or whether the coaches/scheme is the reason he's succeeding (JG <_ so why is he barely discussed with the bears>

Because he'd likely take $20M? That's kind of the going market, right? And the Bears have a ton of cap space, right? Hell, when the Bears dump a player or two (Houston and Royal), they'll have at least $10M more. And wouldn't he be more likely to leave Washington than Berry leaving KC?

Next you'll say, what about Alshon? Well, he's going to command more than he's worth, and he doesn't seem to want to be in Chicago. Easy enough, grab Kirk Cousins' favorite WR (DeSean Jackson) and use the rest of Alshon's cash on other available FAs.

It seems to me, signing Kirk Cousins might be the best move for the Bears.

I would love Cousins, but I don't see Washington letting him go. If he was available, I would be willing to pay $20-22mil for him, easily.

Here's some chatter on Kirk Cousins...just not for the Bears:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

"...it's being speculated that Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch will go hard after Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo. I can't imagine Cousins leaving Washington, but Garoppolo could be dealt, and Shanahan previously said that he likes him a lot. The No. 34 pick in this draft should seal the deal. "

Right after this statement (in his mock draft) he now has us taking Trubisky. I agree, there's no way Washington can let go of Cousins so they won't let it happen. But this Garoppolo thing is very interesting in light of the Bears being reported as ready to go after him.

I would love Cousins, but I don't see Washington letting him go. If he was available, I would be willing to pay $20-22mil for him, easily.

Do you think Cousins wants to stay there after they've dicked him around? I think all Washington can do is franchise him, and spending $23M for him might be more than they wish to spend (even if they have the cap space).

Do you think Cousins wants to stay there after they've dicked him around? I think all Washington can do is franchise him, and spending $23M for him might be more than they wish to spend (even if they have the cap space).

They won't let him go for nothing. They will either tag him again, or tag and trade.

Washington isn't just going to let him be a UFA. If Kirk makes a big stink and they are forced to trade him, they will trade him, and it will take multiple picks to get him, including at least one first rounder (probably multiple). If we want Kirk Cousins, the question I have for you is, are you okay giving up the #3 pick for him and then signing him to a big money deal? I think that ultimately is what it would take (ballpark wise) to get Cousins (and that assumes Washington doesn't finally commit and give him the big bucks).

The next question is, how do you build a team around Cousins that can be a superbowl contender, because he isn't a QB at Rodgers / Brady type level and I can't ever see him being that guy. He is very good though and I think he has the skills to be a superbowl winning QB (that said, I do think he was in a really offensive friendly system with Gruden). I will point out his career high TD passes is 29 (two years ago) and he is kind of turnover prone. He had 12 picks and 9 fumbles this past year (only 3 fumbles lost). QB Rating this year and the previous year was very good (97 and just over 100) and he threw for a ton of yards this pats year (almost 5000). He was slightly worse this past year, but has demonstrated that last years performance wasn't a fluke.

The thing that probably annoys me the most of this, is I wanted the Bears to draft Cousins when he was in the draft (thought he was the perfect guy to groom behind Jay and thought with time he'd be capable of being a good starting QB). Of course I've been wrong a million times too haha.