What we hoped vs.what we know

bradjock

We hoped we would trade down in round #1. Draft multiple players to start on opening day and help us in the future.

We traded up. Drafted a QB who will start in 2018. Traded down. Drafted a TE who might help us in 2018.

At best, this is a mediocre team next year. That's at best.

We hoped we would trade down in round #1. Draft multiple players to start on opening day and help us in the future.

We traded up. Drafted a QB who will start in 2018. Traded down. Drafted a TE who might help us in 2018.

At best we drafted our franchise QB for the next 15 years while only giving up some 3rd's and a 4th (which we got back later) and a huge RZ target who is going to give defenses some serious matchup problems.

I think at best, we were going to be a mediocre team, and more likely a bad team. That didn't change this year, but we have a guy who might be a future franchise QB on the roster now (and we didn't before). We also gave "said potential franchise QB" a person who could become a massive playmaker.

Yes, we still have a lot of holes, but this is a process and we are still probably two years away from contending at best, so e have another two drafts before being in "contention" mode (it takes time to be a winning team with a young QB...unless you had a really good team already...which we didn't). Next year I expect us to be picking top 5 and I wouldn't be shocked if we moved down and accumulated more picks next year (to fill various holes). We also have been conservative on cap space and that should put us in a good spot when we get closer and more ready to take the next step.

I think at best, we were going to be a mediocre team, and more likely a bad team. That didn't change this year, but we have a guy who might be a future franchise QB on the roster now (and we didn't before). We also gave "said potential franchise QB" a person who could become a massive playmaker.

Yes, we still have a lot of holes, but this is a process and we are still probably two years away from contending at best, so e have another two drafts before being in "contention" mode (it takes time to be a winning team with a young QB...unless you had a really good team already...which we didn't). Next year I expect us to be picking top 5 and I wouldn't be shocked if we moved down and accumulated more picks next year (to fill various holes). We also have been conservative on cap space and that should put us in a good spot when we get closer and more ready to take the next step.

We need to look at his two previous drafts for answers.

Bullard takes a step forward and shines

Bush looks like football player at SS

D Hall becomes a Tillman clone at FS

Robertson-Harris steps up as edge rusher

White finally stays healthy and is a #1

I think we forget about players that are developing, many answers are already on the roster.

We need to look at his two previous drafts for answers. Bullard takes a step forward and shines Bush looks like football player at SS D Hall becomes a Tillman clone at FS Robertson-Harris steps up as edge rusher White finally stays healthy and is a #1 I think we forget about players that are developing, many answers are already on the roster.

You got it.

There is a handful of youth on the roster we keep looking past because the draft if like getting the new Sears catalog before Christmas. We want new shiny toys all the time.

I think the question is whether you want to try to make the difference between 6-10 this year and 9-7 at best OR whether you want to try to build a team that can be 12-4 on a repeating basis.

The path to winning was clearly demonstrated to us by the Cubs, who endured 4 awful seasons to push value forward and corner the market on talent in a future window so that they now are World Series winners AND one of the youngest teams in the league.

The Patriots and Packers have shown what stability in an organization looks like. When a scout looks at an OLB for the Packers, he knows exactly what that position has looked like in his team for 20 years. He knows which attributes are crucial, and which weaknesses hide well in that context.

THAT is what Ernie Accorsi put us on the path to. We are going to need to build through the draft for a while, as we improve. We are building a base with depth, and it takes TIME and DISCIPLINE.

No one can say if Trubisky will be the guy. I dont even think Pace is saying he KNOWS. But he's making the right moves to get from here to there, and one way or another we WILL have a franchise QB in the next few years. If Glennon and Trubisky suck, you can bet he's gonna go right back to that well and pay the going rate to take another swing.

So yeah, if you wanted to maximize wins THIS YEAR, then you could have done different things in Free Agency, and draft solid ready contributors rather than higher risk reward players who have higher ceilings, even if they have lower floors.

Safe is not the right strategy for us at this point, we need to be swinging for the fences, and Pace has the balls and apparent job security to do it.

Booing Trubisky at the Bulls game was a joke.