players that could surprise

Stinger226

This is a boring time of the year so I was looking at the roster and seen some names that could come out and surprise us.

Johnathan Banks/CB he was a second round pick, and was very productive his first two seasons in the NFL. 7 interceptions and 15 PBUs.

He is 6-2 185, has decent speed and quickness to the ball. Has 34" arms, and was compaed to Aqib Tileb coming out.He seemed to got lost when their was a regime change in Tampa and then after being traded to the Lions got lost in transition.

At 27 he is in his prime time of playing, he fits the scheme and probably feels he needs to prove something for being bounced around. I suspect a productive player that all of sudden gets ousted on a team his confidence takes a hit. Then after being traded, gets lost in transition. Now with some time to put everything in prospective, I think he gets his shit together on a team starved for CBs.

I not only thinks he survives the final roster but I think Prince gets the nod, and is a decent NFL CB but just doesnt have play making ability , Banks does and becomes the starter later in the year.

I think sometimes circumstances and maturity plays an important part in the success of a player in the NFL, I think Banks is one of those that is ascending and turns out to be a good player.

Paces strengths is in player personal, not necessarily the draft, and think he has did well to find inexpensive players on the rise.

Hicks

McPhee (injury pitfall)

Miller (injury pitfall)

Freeman ( a stud)

Sitton ( not a suprise) but he went after it

this year, we have Cooper, Demps, Howard, Wheaton, Sims, Banks that will all prove to be good pickups.

I like that we picked up Banks late last year but I'm not as high on him. Nothing wrong with taking a shot a player like this. If he has his act together I think he has a good chance to make the final roster especially with the concerns over Fuller. That will depend heavily on how well he handles special teams. I don't see him as a likely starter but if he were to put it all together I'd put his max ceiling at being able to challenge Cooper to start, not Amukamara. Realistically I think he's competes for the 5th or 6th spot.

In terms of surprises it sounds like Shaheen may be the biggest one, both literally and figuratively. I've seen and heard (podcasts) multiple people say that he looks very comfortable on the field (i.e. knowing the plays) and his pass catching has been outstanding. Of course there will be the adjustment when the pads come on but according to Freeman, Shaheen is already playing aggressively and does not appear intimidated at all by the jump from DII to the NFL.

I like that we picked up Banks late last year but I'm not as high on him. Nothing wrong with taking a shot a player like this. If he has his act together I think he has a good chance to make the final roster especially with the concerns over Fuller. That will depend heavily on how well he handles special teams. I don't see him as a likely starter but if he were to put it all together I'd put his max ceiling at being able to challenge Cooper to start, not Amukamara. Realistically I think he's competes for the 5th or 6th spot.

In terms of surprises it sounds like Shaheen may be the biggest one, both literally and figuratively. I've seen and heard (podcasts) multiple people say that he looks very comfortable on the field (i.e. knowing the plays) and his pass catching has been outstanding. Of course there will be the adjustment when the pads come on but according to Freeman, Shaheen is already playing aggressively and does not appear intimidated at all by the jump from DII to the NFL.

He is having many people say good things about him. Work ethic, attitude, athletic ability. He sounds like a potential stud and will show up this year.

He is having many people say good things about him. Work ethic, attitude, athletic ability. He sounds like a potential stud and will show up this year.

another player with not much of expectations is Tanner Gentry, UDFA WR from Wyoming

I think he makes the roster, he will be more of a possession type of WR, I think Meridith is that type of player and with an injured thumb, I think they keep Gentry.

White and Wheaton will be more of a deep threat type.

Cruz and Wright will be slot WRs.

Meridith and Gentry will be more of a possession WRs.

He does not have the same drop rate as Bellamy and will contribute on special teams, I think he takes Bellamys spot on roster.

White. Everyone will be surprised he sucks this bad for a first round pick. hopefully he can prove me wrong

That was a good one but yeah I really hope you're wrong. Maybe the curse will be lifted now that he's wearing his old college number?

And did Howard make the top 100 players in the NFL? If not, why not? He only had the second most yardage after Zeke E. and 3-4 games less to do it in. I think Zeke made it somewhere in the top 10 unless I'm mistaken. Highway robbery!

That was a good one but yeah I really hope you're wrong. Maybe the curse will be lifted now that he's wearing his old college number?

And did Howard make the top 100 players in the NFL? If not, why not? He only had the second most yardage after Zeke E. and 3-4 games less to do it in. I think Zeke made it somewhere in the top 10 unless I'm mistaken. Highway robbery!

Whites injuries were bone issues and not joints, which should mean his speed wont be compromised. He had a fracture his first year and last year someone feel on his leg.

I think that is reason to have optimism.

all kidding aside, i think Wheaton will surprise. i really like what he brings to the offense.

Pace took three shots at fixing the #3 WR position: Wright, Cruz, and Wheaton. Essentially for the price of Alshon Jeffrey, who signed a $9.5mil contract, we signed 3 WRs with the same net cap hit and Wheaton by far has the best contract. I figure Wheaton gives us some versatility (insurance) on the outside with White. He's not very quick in his cuts but does have good speed. Barring an injury to White or Meredith, to surprise us Wheaton will have to win the slot position in order to get consistent playing time.