Pace extension

bowlingtwig

Ted Phillips announced a 2 yr extension for pace today during the press conference. Everything else he said was complete garbage like usual and pace didn't really say much either except it's a "collaborative effort between him, Ted and George about the head coach search but he's got full final say as he should on it

Ted Phillips announced a 2 yr extension for pace today during the press conference. Everything else he said was complete garbage like usual and pace didn't really say much either except it's a "collaborative effort between him, Ted and George about the head coach search but he's got full final say as he should on it

I really wish Phillips would have made the announcement via a press release but he chose to get out in front of the public and show the organization's support of Pace.

Pace would make a great politician because he never answers a question. Bottom line, he is linked to the success or failure of Trubisky.

Peace :dabears

I really wish Phillips would have made the announcement via a press release but he chose to get out in front of the public and show the organization's support of Pace.

Pace would make a great politician because he never answers a question. Bottom line, he is linked to the success or failure of Trubisky.

Peace :dabears

Pace certainly is tied to trubisky. I did like that he's willing to take some of the blame. Let's hope he gets it right with the hot hiring

The two year extension is to provide some consistency with the new coach. If Pace doesn't get an extension, his contract would come due after this coming season. Now he is here thru 2021, so if they sign a new coach to a 3yr deal, he knows he will at least have the same GM for that entire timeframe, which makes sense.

Also, I think Pace has done enough to warrant an extension. The roster was completely gutted by Emery and Angelo left him with very little after the Cutler trade.

Took until the 3rd year, but the key all along was getting a piece to build around. Trubisky is that piece, we were not going anywhere until we had that. We should start seeing progress in my eyes. Get a stud WR and to go with a healthy Meredith and the passing game will improve. Shaheen will be a weapon, Cohen a center piece. Build up the o line and we good.

This is business as usual in the NFL. You need the GM to be on the same time horizon as your next head coach, otherwise you aren't going to be able to hire any head coach. The moment the Bears decided they were going to keep Pace, it meant they had to extend him to be able to hire someone. If they didn't extend Pace, we'd be stuck with the least attractive coaching candidates because any of the top guys are going to a place where they aren't worried the GM is going to get axed a year into their new job (cause usually when that happens the next GM is going to want his guy).

This is business as usual in the NFL. You need the GM to be on the same time horizon as your next head coach, otherwise you aren't going to be able to hire any head coach. The moment the Bears decided they were going to keep Pace, it meant they had to extend him to be able to hire someone. If they didn't extend Pace, we'd be stuck with the least attractive coaching candidates because any of the top guys are going to a place where they aren't worried the GM is going to get axed a year into their new job (cause usually when that happens the next GM is going to want his guy).

Or you could argue the talent that Pace has brought in and his control of the roster would scare good HC prospects away.

It just gives me a head ache honestly. The team is so bad you fire your head coach, then you give the GM an extension for his work building those teams. Hopefully it works out, and the Bears get a good HC and OC that is able to bring Trubisky along.

Or you could argue the talent that Pace has brought in and his control of the roster would scare good HC prospects away.

It just gives me a head ache honestly. The team is so bad you fire your head coach, then you give the GM an extension for his work building those teams. Hopefully it works out, and the Bears get a good HC and OC that is able to bring Trubisky along.

Listening to the score (cant remember who it was) - mentioned that around the league most think Pace has done a good job. Bears had to make a change, somebody was going to get fired. You cant have 20,000 fans not show up and doing nothing.

Eberything will depend on what these coaches think of Mitch.....if they like what they have seen then we will get a good coach.

Anyone else think about the Indy job..... The Bears passed on Ballard to hire Pace. Now Indy will prolly hire Toub, a guy people on this board want.....

Again, continuing your thought; how is it that a coach like Fox, who has been able to take two separate teams to the Super Bowl not be able to do the same with our team? I don’t buy that the game has passed him by. Hell, Fangio was consistently bringing top 10 defenses to play each year with arguabley the most inconsistent roster. Fox’s downfall this year (with hindsight as a crutch) was not firing Loggains and not starting Trubisky sooner. But really was that Fox’s fault? He wasn’t the one that signed off on Glennon. That was Paces call.

I’m still guarded in my opinion in how well the team will do in the next few years. Pace has not done anything...yet...to allay that concern.

Again, continuing your thought; how is it that a coach like Fox, who has been able to take two separate teams to the Super Bowl not be able to do the same with our team? I don’t buy that the game has passed him by. Hell, Fangio was consistently bringing top 10 defenses to play each year with arguabley the most inconsistent roster. Fox’s downfall this year (with hindsight as a crutch) was not firing Loggains and not starting Trubisky sooner. But really was that Fox’s fault? He wasn’t the one that signed off on Glennon. That was Paces call.

I’m still guarded in my opinion in how well the team will do in the next few years. Pace has not done anything...yet...to allay that concern.

To say pace has done nothing is a bit of a stretch. Did you forget that 3 yrs ago when he took over the locker room was a complete mess with lots of cancerous players and 1 of the oldest teams in the league. He has completely revamped the entire roster and it's now 1 of the younger ones. And it sounds like the locker room is a night better place. Sure he has missed big time in FA and has made some very questionable calls in the draft. Did he deserve an extension? Hell no. The team does look good with a young potentially very good QB at the helm. The cap situation is extremely healthy

To say pace has done nothing is a bit of a stretch. Did you forget that 3 yrs ago when he took over the locker room was a complete mess with lots of cancerous players and 1 of the oldest teams in the league. He has completely revamped the entire roster and it's now 1 of the younger ones. And it sounds like the locker room is a night better place. Sure he has missed big time in FA and has made some very questionable calls in the draft. Did he deserve an extension? Hell no. The team does look good with a young potentially very good QB at the helm. The cap situation is extremely healthy

It would be interesting to scroll back a few years between the Emery firing and Pace hiring to see what everyone thought back then. How many years was first expected for us to be competitive etc. To me, this team or no team is going to win unless they have a QB. We think we have one now, let's see how it goes with Mitch and give this a chance. Signing the best FAs only eats cap, so you want to be within a window before you start opening the check book. We took so moderate chances on some FAs and missed, but we really didn't hurt ourselves too bad.

It would be interesting to scroll back a few years between the Emery firing and Pace hiring to see what everyone thought back then. How many years was first expected for us to be competitive etc. To me, this team or no team is going to win unless they have a QB. We think we have one now, let's see how it goes with Mitch and give this a chance. Signing the best FAs only eats cap, so you want to be within a window before you start opening the check book. We took so moderate chances on some FAs and missed, but we really didn't hurt ourselves too bad.

Exactly. This certainly has taken a lot longer of a rebuild than anyone would like to have. Seems like previous regimes just screwed us with bad contracts like Cutler's compounded with the fact they couldn't draft to save there ass so they were forced into using FAs to fill out the roster. Which led to an older roster and because we had Cutler they failed to try and use a high draft pick on a potential replacement. In steps pace who gets rid of Cutler as soon as his contract allowed us to and then he swings big to grab Mitch. High risk with the trade up but if it pays off then nobody will care what it costs in the end because we will finally have that guy while other teams will be where we were

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the word ‘nothing’. I agree he has done quite a bit. However, I question how well he’s done in all that he has done. My concern is he’s done NOTHING as of yet to strengthen my belief he deserved an extension (as you and I apparently agree with). I had seen some writers mention that as of right now Pace’s record (with the Bears) is the same as Fox’s. Which if you look at it that way puts an interesting perspective to the whole mess.

So far the one solid thing I can give him positive credit for was the hiring of Fox. Although many are convinced he never really did that. Nevertheless, at the time hiring someone like Fox made a lot of sense. As you pointed out we had a team that was quickly heading in a downward spiral. A team, as you said, had older players some of which were “cancerous”. That was due in large part to Trestmans inability to manage those players. Fox had ‘been there, done that’ and was revered in the NFL community so that alone could be the reason the ‘locker room’ made its upward swing. Sure Pace brought in younger players through the draft but you need someone actually in the locker room to lead those players; young or old. And if there was any doubt in Fox’s ability it wasn’t in his ability to get people to play for him.

Pace has brought in some good character FAs but still Fox would be the one who had to coach them and I’d dare say that some of those guys saw the opportunity to play for Fox and chose the Bears over other potential suitors for that reason.

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the word ‘nothing’. I agree he has done quite a bit. However, I question how well he’s done in all that he has done. My concern is he’s done NOTHING as of yet to strengthen my belief he deserved an extension (as you and I apparently agree with). I had seen some writers mention that as of right now Pace’s record (with the Bears) is the same as Fox’s. Which if you look at it that way puts an interesting perspective to the whole mess.

So far the one solid thing I can give him positive credit for was the hiring of Fox. Although many are convinced he never really did that. Nevertheless, at the time hiring someone like Fox made a lot of sense. As you pointed out we had a team that was quickly heading in a downward spiral. A team, as you said, had older players some of which were “cancerous”. That was due in large part to Trestmans inability to manage those players. Fox had ‘been there, done that’ and was revered in the NFL community so that alone could be the reason the ‘locker room’ made its upward swing. Sure Pace brought in younger players through the draft but you need someone actually in the locker room to lead those players; young or old. And if there was any doubt in Fox’s ability it wasn’t in his ability to get people to play for him.

Pace has brought in some good character FAs but still Fox would be the one who had to coach them and I’d dare say that some of those guys saw the opportunity to play for Fox and chose the Bears over other potential suitors for that reason.

Fox is not a horrible coach and got the foundation built. The players loved him, almost seemed comparable to Lovie with some of the quotes as he said his goodbyes. Some losses were on Pace, some on Coaching, and some on we still needed time to add to the roster depth. The next hire will hopefully pick up were he left off and to the blocks laid out. This is why I see someone like Shumur or even Mcdaniels getting the nod over say Deflippo.

Like others here the move to extend was most importantly to give any would be candidates the sense of stability knowing if they sign a three year deal with the Bears they will have the same GM in place during that time, and the added stability that should they be successful here and it comes to extensions that the Bears could extend both for the same number of years to continue that stability. When Fox and Pace were brought in their contracts both ran out after 2018. What this move indicates is that the Bears believe in Pace's vision and want to give him more time, but they don't feel Fox is the right coach to realize that vision. We can debate whether the Bears are right in thinking this and more blame goes to Fox than Pace, or the other way around, or both equally culpable for the lack of success on the field.

Personally I think Fox is a decent coach but not the kind of coach that will a team to the next level. While it doesn't show in wins/losses I feel like the team is in a better position become the winning team we want than it was the day Tresman and Emery were fired. I feel there is plenty of blame to go around. Fox's in game coaching and loyalty to a bad OC, coupled with the teams apparent lack of preparedness on game day, reflects on his staff's ability to prepare and coach this team. Pace I feel has shown the ability to generally draft well (something that has plagued this team prior to his arival), no GM will get every pick right but we are getting production from his picks. His FA additions have been very hit or miss, with seemingly more miss than hit. He's preferred however to sign players to deals that are relatively low risk to the team. The down side of that is more impactful FA could be brought if they got more long term security. The other factor is the injuries and the last three years especially have been plagued with injuries at an alarming rate. That could partly be on Fox who's staff includes the strength and conditioning coaches. Something is not right with our ability to keep players healthy and till we fix that it will be a major hinderance to who ever our coach/GM is. On the injury topic, something I think also plays a factor is how the CBA works concerning how teams can practice, number of padded practices, what they can and can't do. Football is a violent game, and if your body isn't conditioned to take the hits I have to think that effects the body's reaction to those hits on game day. Limiting the physicality of practices in order to preserve players for game day, may be counter productive.

What I feel is the bottom line in all this or at least a major part of this revolves around Trubisky. We have failed for decades to find that franchise QB who can lead the team rather than just plod along and manage it. I think the Bears believe in Trubiskey to the point where they want to give Pace a chance to build a team around him, and bring in the coach that he feels will maximize his potential to be that long awaited franchise QB to take this team to the promised land. Right or wrong Pace's job, the next head coaches job, and Trubisky's job hinges on getting this ship righted. It's a lot of pressure to put on a young QB and time will tell if it was warranted.