Bears have many holes to fill yet

BearFan PHX

The Bears have a lot of holes left to fill, and they won't be able to fill them all through the draft.

The Bears will probably sign a couple more free agents before the draft.

Here are the positions we still need a player in, not in order of necessity:

DE, OLB, ILB, S, CB

OC/OG, OT, WR

The first draft pick is going to solidify one of those positions. It will either go to the offensive line, or to the defense.

If it goes offense, it will be Quentin Nelson OG from ND. He would be a force, and a really good step toward building an OL that is probably the weakest unit on the team now.

The other biggest weakness is LB. Unless you're ready to roll with Acho and Kwitkowski, you're going to want to put someone there. Travathan is getting older too. We saw how good the defense was for a moment when Travathan and Freeman were in there, and how porous it was when Freeman was out. When Travathan was out too, it was awful.

The common wisdom on high defensive picks is to take pass rushers if possible, but playmakers are really what you want. Impact players who can change the game.

If the Bears like one of the pass rushers, or a safety or corner as an impact player, and you get an Ed Reed, Richard Sherman or a dominant pass rusher to work with Floyd, then great.

But Tremaine Edmunds is a real difference maker at the less sexy position of ILB, and that's a real need for us, both this year and going forward. Will Travathan be there in a couple years? Is Kwitkowski the MVP of Super Bowl 55? For a lot of reasons that have alread been discussed, Edmunds is a real option in the first round.

So the first pick could go either way, and the second pick could go to the other side of the ball, Edmunds and an OG for example, or Nelson and a LB or DE.

But it is just as likely we could double up. Nelson and an OT int he 2nd, or Edmunds and a pass rusher.

My point here is that whatever we do, we will still have real holes. We have no pick int he 3rd round, but we have 2 in the 4th.

Maybe Pace will hit on a player there, but unless he hits twice, we're gonna be short somewhere.

OG, OT, ILB, DE are ALL needs. We are short a really good S too, and a young CB would be nice too. Maybe next year.

So assuming we don't pull two 4th round rabbits out of the draft hat, we are still gong to be short.

So the questions right now are:

depth players like Acho, Kwitkowski, Bullard, Grasu and anyone on the OL vs. the free agent market at LB, DE & OL.

We're gonna get a lot better after this draft, but we're still gonna be a few players short.

Truly we have holes to fill, but I believe we have less than you think. Looking at what we picked up will help Trubisky, Trubisky will help the OL. Plus, the OL will have a healthy Long and a years growth for the younger guys. Greater TOP instantly helps the D. Scoring more points helps on a belll curve. If we can hit on White and Merideth the offense is looking great. I'm expecting a heavy defensive draft with an OL pick. If we hit on a couple of defenders, we are competing.

Please pardon any typos. I can barely see on this phone.

QUOTE (Mongo3451 @ Mar 26 2018, 08:29 PM)
Truly we have holes to fill, but I believe we have less than you think. Looking at what we picked up will help Trubisky, Trubisky will help the OL. Plus, the OL will have a healthy Long and a years growth for the younger guys. Greater TOP instantly helps the D. Scoring more points helps on a belll curve. If we can hit on White and Merideth the offense is looking great. I'm expecting a heavy defensive draft with an OL pick. If we hit on a couple of defenders, we are competing.

Please pardon any typos. I can barely see on this phone.

I do think we have crossed over the threshold where we might win more games than we lose, or are right at 8-8. We are definitely getting better.

But I'm just saying we will still have some holes. Not saying they will be fatal. Leno and Massie might be serviceable for example, but I'd still call them holes in the sense that they arent a positive force at their positions, just holding the fort down.

I think that's where we are on OG, OT x 2, OC, DE, OLB, ILB, S and possibly CB.

2-3 players will get drafted to fill those holes at the level I'm speaking of, but we have 4 holes at least, so I think we won't be fully complete.

I do think we have crossed over the threshold where we might win more games than we lose, or are right at 8-8. We are definitely getting better.

But I'm just saying we will still have some holes. Not saying they will be fatal. Leno and Massie might be serviceable for example, but I'd still call them holes in the sense that they arent a positive force at their positions, just holding the fort down.

I think that's where we are on OG, OT x 2, OC, DE, OLB, ILB, S and possibly CB.

2-3 players will get drafted to fill those holes at the level I'm speaking of, but we have 4 holes at least, so I think we won't be fully complete.

I get it. And you post was thorough. But every team has holes. They fill them by having more positives than negatives.

Personally I'm going Nelson with that #8 pick if he's still there. Gut feeling still says he won't be there. Then for me its an easy choice going with Edmunds

If Nelson is there you have to take him. Otherwise, Edmunds or a trade down.

Peace :dabears

I get it. And you post was thorough. But every team has holes. They fill them by having more positives than negatives.

I don't disagree, but imagine where we will be after the 2019 draft...

I still want Edmunds, even if Nelson is there.

And then a OG or OT in the 2nd.

I don't disagree, but imagine where we will be after the 2019 draft...

I still want Edmunds, even if Nelson is there.

And then a OG or OT in the 2nd.

There is no way they pass on Nelson if he is there. He is a potential all pro his whole career and with him and Whitehair the anchor of our future OL.

Before I begin I'll preface this stating I don't know enough about Oline blocking and schemes...

Regarding Nelson and this new offense, is he the right fit at OG? Everyone is focused on his power (and it is fun to watch) but he's not the most nimble and if we're going to be in a pure ZBS, he'll struggle to reach some of the outside blocks on DTs. Or will we run a similar blocking scheme to what we did last year? I bring that up because there was talk of moving the less mobile Sitton to RG and putting Long at LG where he can pull and block on the run. If we are staying with a similar scheme then it may make sense to put Nelson at RG and move Long to LG.

It's not that Nelson can't pull and block, I just don't see quick feet as his forte. Regardless, the fastest and best path for him on the NFL field is likely to be keeping him at LG where he's already comfortable in his stance. In any case, he moves better than Sitton so that's an upgrade right there. Long term does he stay at LG?

I know it varies depending on who you read but I read their is no flaws in his game. He has all the tools. Have never read he has slow feet. One of the reasons they let Sitton go is because of his lack of quickness.

I've never heard he had slow feet either since he is regarded as a mauler. He is extremely knowledgeable and gets to 2nd and 3rd blocks(levels). If anyone knows, it will be our o line coach.

I've never heard he had slow feet either since he is regarded as a mauler. He is extremely knowledgeable and gets to 2nd and 3rd blocks(levels). If anyone knows, it will be our o line coach.

that's for sure.